Windows 10: BCD file Error on start up

Discus and support BCD file Error on start up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, Since last Saturday, I have started to experience the error code: "0xc0000098 Missing file: /bcd" which prevents my laptop from booting up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Paul Timmins, Oct 16, 2020.

1. BCD file Error on start up

Hello,

Since last Saturday, I have started to experience the error code: "0xc0000098 Missing file: /bcd" which prevents my laptop from booting up.

I have seen the thread here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/bcd-file-error-after-recent-updates/22dde03e-30e2-4a57-966c-4cf86a34452d

But at the ">bootrec /fixboot" stage the response is "Access is denied" rather than "The operation completed successfully".

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Paul

:)

Paul Timmins, Oct 16, 2020

2. Error code 0xc000000f, BCD corrupted

Hi Andre,

As per the description, I suggest that you follow the steps below to fix BCD

1. Right click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)

2. Here type/paste the commands listed below

Bootrec /fixMBR

Bootrec /fixBoot

Bootrec /RebuildBcd

3. Once done restart the PC and check.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 16, 2020
  3. martel101 Win User
    Unable to boot; 0xc000000f error on start

@axe0 - No, there was no file mentioned, although the error code remained the same. After I used the bootsec.exe /nt60 command the File: boot/bcd line appeared, which can be seen in the photos.
    @zbook - I'll try what you have suggested and post the results. As for the assigned drive letters, no I don't know why they already have assigned letters. As far as I can recall, those were in fact the drive letters they were assigned when the computer was working, but I didn't reassign them during the troubleshooting process. The steps I had already taken are listed in the original post. I had tried to rebuild the BCD previously, but with the same results (i.e. didn't have access, system not found etc.)

martel101, Oct 16, 2020
  4. BCD file Error on start up

Windows defender offline error: EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD - 0xc0000185

Hi Dave,

Could you provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to boot the device to desktop with this error message?

This issue might have occurred due to corruption in the boot files or BOIS unable to detect your drive to boot.

I suggest you to refer to the below thread, check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by -.[Final]#[Boss].- and check if
    it helps.

Error code after update File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot BCD
    Error Code 0xc0000185 BSOD

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Oct 16, 2020
Thema:

BCD file Error on start up

1. BCD file Error on start up - Similar Threads - BCD file Error

2. Bcd error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bcd error: Hi, Microsoft my windows recently deleted and i get stuck on the error 0xc000014 help me to recover or get back my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bcd-error/652903ca-3484-4a79-bb01-c6f48b7a4704
  3. Missing BCD file, 0xc000000f error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing BCD file, 0xc000000f error: I've already seen a similar thread, but the solution didn't work for my case. Also, pretty long one, I apologize.So, it all started when I was trying to upgrade to an M.2 drive from a SATA SSD. I used AOMEI cloning service to clone everything I had on the SSD to the M.2.I was...
  4. Missing BCD file, 0xc000000f error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing BCD file, 0xc000000f error: I've already seen a similar thread, but the solution didn't work for my case. Also, pretty long one, I apologize.So, it all started when I was trying to upgrade to an M.2 drive from a SATA SSD. I used AOMEI cloning service to clone everything I had on the SSD to the M.2.I was...
  5. Missing BCD file, 00xc000000f error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing BCD file, 00xc000000f error: I've already seen a similar thread, but the solution didn't work for my case. Also, pretty long one, I apologize.So, it all started when I was trying to upgrade to an M.2 drive from a SATA SSD. I used AOMEI cloning service to clone everything I had on the SSD to the M.2.I was...
  6. Missing BCD file, 00xc000000f error

Missing BCD file, 00xc000000f error: I've already seen a similar thread, but the solution didn't work for my case. Also, pretty long one, I apologize.So, it all started when I was trying to upgrade to an M.2 drive from a SATA SSD. I used AOMEI cloning service to clone everything I had on the SSD to the M.2.I was...
  7. Error Codde 0xc000098 File: \BCD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error Codde 0xc000098 File: \BCD: Hello, when I go to boot my Samsung Galaxy Book S Verizon if that matters I keep getting an error code as follows:File: \BCDError Code: 0xc0000098I’ve tried running the auto repair, etc. I downloaded the ISO and it won’t detect the USB drive and I see no option to boot from...
  8. Error Codde 0xc000098 File: \BCD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error Codde 0xc000098 File: \BCD: Hello, when I go to boot my Samsung Galaxy Book S Verizon if that matters I keep getting an error code as follows:File: \BCDError Code: 0xc0000098I’ve tried running the auto repair, etc. I downloaded the ISO and it won’t detect the USB drive and I see no option to boot from...
  9. BCD ERROR File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BCD ERROR File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000000f: Suddenly my laptop start getting slow and on the second day start showing blue screen with this code:RecoveryFile:\Boot\BCDError code : 0x000000fI ran boot rec /rebuilkdbcd but it did not solve the problem. system restore is not working as well.Please help me...
  10. BCD error

BCD error: Hello everyone, I got a message “Restart to repair drive errors” notification from Security and maintenance. I had got this notification several times, so I clicked it this time so that it won’t show it again. I clicked on it, and clicked “Restart now”. While the spinning...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bcd 0xc0000098 error 1903