Windows 10: BCD store deleted after disk cloning with Macrium, why?

Discus and support BCD store deleted after disk cloning with Macrium, why? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I used Macrium Reflect to clone a disk. Immediately after the procedure, the BCD store disappeared. This is the second time this happened. any idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dictum, Oct 11, 2019.

1. dictum Win User

BCD store deleted after disk cloning with Macrium, why?

I used Macrium Reflect to clone a disk. Immediately after the procedure, the BCD store disappeared.

This is the second time this happened. any idea why that happened?

BCD store deleted after disk cloning with Macrium, why? [​IMG]

:)

dictum, Oct 11, 2019
  2. dictum Win User

Macrium Reflect wiped out my BCD store

this is the second time it happened. I have 3 bootable disks in the machine, cloned one disk to another disk and now none of the bcd commands work. The BCD store is gone.

The machine was bootable before Macrium and is unbootable now. I think there is a serious bug in it.

dictum, Oct 11, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    BCD / boot.ini Deleted HELP

Boot.ini is used in Windows XP and earlier Version of Windows. However, when you install Windows 10 you had the external HD connected and was marked as active so Windows 10 installation modified this file and re-direct to the Boot Manager.
    More info on this: Where is the boot ini file? Heres how to find the boot ini in Windows 8

You can try the steps below to see if you can repair the Boot Manager:
    1. Download Macrium Rescue disk: MacriumRescue7170X86.iso - Google Drive
    2. Put it in a USB stick using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    3. Disconnect your external HD where you had the Boot.ini deleted.
    4. Change the BIOS setting to boot from the USB
    5. Click where I have the arrow pointed at.

If the steps above does not work and since you cannot boot into Windows to restore from RECYCLE.BIN and I am not sure that you can restore them by connecting the external drive to another PC since these deleted files are under some SID for each user. So yes, you can use Linux to explore it and copy all the files that you've deleted to another drive/USB and rename them accordingly and put them back where they were.

The worst case is you have to re-install Windows but:
    1. Make sure the drive that you intend to use for Windows OS is connected to the first port on your MB
    2. Make sure that the first boot device is first on the list of boot priority
    3. Disconnect all other drives (Internal/USB)

Hope this helps and good luck.

topgundcp, Oct 11, 2019
  4. BCD store deleted after disk cloning with Macrium, why?

Cloning an external HDD

Doing a clean Install while switching hard drive is always recommend due to the fact that the hardware configuration of each PC is different.

What I suggest is to Clone the other data partitions except C:

Use Macrium reflect a freeware for this.

Cloning a disk - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

BCD store deleted after disk cloning with Macrium, why?

1. BCD store deleted after disk cloning with Macrium, why? - Similar Threads - BCD store deleted

2. Macrium Clone Disks not available on recovery media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Clone Disks not available on recovery media: Hi there seems to be a genuine needed feature that's missing in Macrium Free== You can only clone disks if running from within Windows -- the clone disk option isn't available in the bootable recovery media. (Or if it is I've missed it). Apart from the "Not in Best...
  3. Macrium Reflect clone Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk

Macrium Reflect clone Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk: Hi, I would like to know how do I clone a hd with basic partition to a hd with dynamic partition? My Macrium Reflect is 7.2 version. Thank's 167387
  4. cloning with Macrium

cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  5. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  6. Macrium Reflect wiped out my BCD store

Macrium Reflect wiped out my BCD store: this is the second time it happened. I have 3 bootable disks in the machine, cloned one disk to another disk and now none of the bcd commands work. The BCD store is gone. The machine was bootable before Macrium and is unbootable now. I think there is a serious bug in it....
  7. Macrium and Linux Disks cloning

Macrium and Linux Disks cloning: Hi folks just in case some people don't realize it but it's 100% possible to clone Linux formatted HDD's / SSD'swith Macrium (from within Windows too --you don't need o use rthe stand alone program). Ensure though when you attach the Linux drives / SSD's you ignore Windows...
  8. Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks

Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks: I cloned disks for years and it usually works well. Today I am getting this error: This restore must be completed in the Windows PE rescue environment. I don't want to do a restore, I just want to clone Disk C to another disk. 124587
  9. Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks

Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks: I cloned disks for years and it usually works well. Today I am getting this error: This restore must be completed in the Windows PE rescue environment. I don't want to do a restore, I just want to clone Disk C to another disk. 124587
  10. Does Macrium Free Do Disk Cloning?

Does Macrium Free Do Disk Cloning?: I have two identical 1T seagate drives and I am trying to clone from one to the other. One is the system disk with drives C: and E: on it - that's the source drive - and the other is a drive I've labelled 'J:' via Diskpart - that's the target drive. Previous attempts to...