Windows 10: Bcdboot syntax for Windows XP?

Discus and support Bcdboot syntax for Windows XP? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am in the process of reconfiguring my desktop from a Windows 7 only machine to a Windows 10, 7 , XP multiboot system. I am aware of the option to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JKB123, Nov 20, 2020.

1. JKB123 Win User

Bcdboot syntax for Windows XP?

I am in the process of reconfiguring my desktop from a Windows 7 only machine to a Windows 10, 7 , XP multiboot system. I am aware of the option to use VMWare for the 7 and XP installs, but want to play with this option first.

My question is - Does the bcdboot command copy XP boot files to a system partition on a different drive? Both drives are in BIOS mode. If so, does the source include the \Windows folder name (e.g. E:\Windows ). I have seen this suggested in forum posts, so expect it is OK but it failed for me. I think I can explain it, but would like confirmation that it should work if my XP partition is OK.

The short explanation is that my XP partition is the active partition from a multiboot test, and still has some W10 boot manager files left in it (e.g. \boot\BCD) , so it is not looking for the XP boot.ini and NTLDR. Both the source and target are on MBR (legacy BIOS) drives. XP boots fine if I boot from the XP only drive.

I got a new HDD and SSD for my new setup, and will leave the existing W7 in place on the old drive as a fallback.

I have been testing the installs on my new HDD before doing the final installs on the SSD. I deleted all OS partitions except XP (which was the first, therefore active partition). I then installed W7 and W10 on the SSD. When trying to boot to the XP drive, I ran into W10 auto repair. Now I realize it got upset because the BCD pointed at missing partitions. I eventually got XP to boot again.

I plan to re-install XP again, this time it should not have W10 boot manager files. I am learning many things as I go, so don't mind tinkering.

Thanks for any answers!

:)

JKB123, Nov 20, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 20, 2020
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Getting: Syntax Error (Syntax Error)

Hi,

It's possible that you're receiving the Syntax Error due to program incompatibility. We'd like to learn more about your concern so we could
    provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Have you checked with the software manufacturer if this particular software is compatible with Windows 10?

• Which version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start, type winver, and press Enter.

• Since you mentioned that you couldn't read anything from the application when you're trying to install it, is there an English version of the game that you can install instead?

• What is the name of the game?

• Have you checked if your computer meets the game's system requirements?

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Yolvi Ell, Nov 20, 2020
  4. iStink Win User

Windows 7 to Pack Virtual Windows XP

ah! lol. I selected xp from a list and thought that was all that was needed, turns out its just suggesting settings based on the selection. I'll just read up on this. I'm rushing into it without much thought here.

ya I'm an idiot dude. I thought this would be like the windows mobile emulator in visual studio where everything is loaded already for you. I dont exactly have an xp disc laying around here at work lol.

I'll just have to play with it when I get home.

iStink, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Bcdboot syntax for Windows XP? - Similar Threads - Bcdboot syntax

2. bcdedit, bcdboot and bootrec issues in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bcdedit, bcdboot and bootrec issues in Windows 10.: I needed to edit the EFI default boot using bcdedit, but it gave me the error message:"The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system cannot be found."I tried recreating the EFI partition from a bootable Windows USB using the command:bcdboot...
  3. bcdedit, bcdboot and bootrec issues in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bcdedit, bcdboot and bootrec issues in Windows 10.: I needed to edit the EFI default boot using bcdedit, but it gave me the error message:"The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system cannot be found."I tried recreating the EFI partition from a bootable Windows USB using the command:bcdboot...
  4. bcdedit, bcdboot and bootrec issues in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Using Bcdboot repair after appling Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Bcdboot repair after appling Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes: I already applied applied the Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes referring to this:...
  6. Using Bcdboot repair after appling Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes

Using Bcdboot repair after appling Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes: I already applied applied the Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes referring to this:...
  7. Using bcdedit and bcdboot to booit into Windows 10 MSIX packaging environment VHDX

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using bcdedit and bcdboot to booit into Windows 10 MSIX packaging environment VHDX: Can I use bcdedit and bcdboot to boot directly from a Windows 10 MSIX packaging environment VHDX disk? I've tried, but at OS selection when I select the Windows 10 MSIX packaging environment, the machine goes through an infinite loop of reboot. Am I making any mistake?Here is...
  8. Using bcdedit and bcdboot to booit into Windows 10 MSIX packaging environment VHDX

Using bcdedit and bcdboot to booit into Windows 10 MSIX packaging environment VHDX: Can I use bcdedit and bcdboot to boot directly from a Windows 10 MSIX packaging environment VHDX disk? I've tried, but at OS selection when I select the Windows 10 MSIX packaging environment, the machine goes through an infinite loop of reboot. Am I making any mistake?Here is...
  9. Using bcdedit and bcdboot to booit into Windows 10 MSIX packaging environment VHDX

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Bcdboot problem err. 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bcdboot problem err. 0xc000000f: Hi,Does anybody know how to fix this problem? I tried booting into my bootable usb and dinnt work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bcdboot-problem-err-0xc000000f/6019b83e-f345-4c2b-b07b-e2253911cbd0