Windows 10: BCDedit says: "The set command specified is not valid"

Discus and support BCDedit says: "The set command specified is not valid" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using Windows PowerShell (Admin). My command line is this: "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi" I had used this exact command... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drpeppercan, Jul 12, 2017.

1. BCDedit says: "The set command specified is not valid"

I am using Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    My command line is this: "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi"
    I had used this exact command line before and it did work.
    Now it says "The set command specified is not valid". It makes no sense.
    So I am suspecting that bcdedit cannot find the shimx64.efi.
    I found where exactly the shimx64.efi is found.
    In the 1st partition of disk 2. It's flagged "boot, esp". Is it possible that bcdedit is only looking in its own disk (#1) ? If so, are there command line parameters that would allow me to specify on what disk to search? Or is that shimx64.efi file supposed to be in disk 1 too?
    I hope this is clear enough.

Hardware: Acer Predator 710 Desktop

:)

drpeppercan, Jul 12, 2017

2. "windows cannot complete installation in safe mode"

the bcdedit command went through and provided a list of information, but then when I tried the bcdedit/deletevalue.... it said "an unknown command was specified"

Stephanievelzy, Jul 12, 2017
  3. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Jul 12, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

BCDedit says: "The set command specified is not valid"

The command is correct. Try running it in Administrator: Command Prompt

Powershell
    Code: Windows PowerShell Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\Windows\system32> bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi The set command specified is not valid. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance. The parameter is incorrect. PS C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] CMD prompt
    Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063] (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi The operation completed successfully. C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] This thread explains the parsing problems powershell has...

Adil Hindistan's Technology Blog: PowerShell Gotchas: Enabling Safemode for Windows 8.1 with Bcdedit

5. Yes, I am using Windows PowerShell (Admin).

BCDedit says: "The set command specified is not valid" [​IMG]

6. lx07 Win User
    Type cmd to run in command prompt instead of powershell and then re-enter bcdedit command.

It should then work OK.

BCDedit says: "The set command specified is not valid" [​IMG]

7. Well, very much to my surprise... I did work!!!
    Thank you so much for your help *Smile
    I will update my records on this right away .

Do you know if this was due to a recent Windows 10 update, maybe the new Creator's update?

8. lx07 Win User

Powershell is the same as it ever was afaik.

What changed is in the past the *Start + X menu had the cmd prompt by default and in creators update this changed to powershell. Perhaps that was it.

Most commands work the same in both cmd and PS but some don't...

9. x509 Win User
    Good to know in general.

x509, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. BCDedit says: "The set command specified is not valid" - Similar Threads - BCDedit says set

2. Key not valid for use in specified state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Key not valid for use in specified state: I have a command line program and for the last 2 weeks when I try and use it I get "Key not valid for use in specified state". I have looked this up and it seems to be tied to encryption of passwords not the program in Windows? Many other forums have said to delete the folder...
  3. Key not valid for use in specified state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Key not valid for use in specified state: I have a command line program and for the last 2 weeks when I try and use it I get "Key not valid for use in specified state". I have looked this up and it seems to be tied to encryption of passwords not the program in Windows? Many other forums have said to delete the folder...
  4. Bcdedit /set correct command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bcdedit /set correct command: What is the correct one cuz im a bit confused about it as some say one to another and it just really confused me....i want to disable it and if i did understand it should be True as false will forcesnoop if im right.bcdedit /set hypervisorloadoptions NOFORCESNOOPor bcdedit...
  5. Bcdedit /set correct command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bcdedit /set correct command: What is the correct one cuz im a bit confused about it as some say one to another and it just really confused me....i want to disable it and if i did understand it should be True as false will forcesnoop if im right.bcdedit /set hypervisorloadoptions NOFORCESNOOPor bcdedit...
  6. Bcdedit /set correct command

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. The Path Specified for the File Outlook.pst is not valid

in Windows 10 News
    The Path Specified for the File Outlook.pst is not valid: [ATTACH]Microsoft Outlook is the most popular email client on Windows computers by far, but […] This article The Path Specified for the File Outlook.pst is not valid first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Bcdedit commands

Bcdedit commands: Recently I saw a video using these commands to fix a game that won't launch and I'm curious as to what these commands do bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF bcdedit -set NOINTEGRITYCHECKS OFF Thanks...
  9. Samsung notebook black screen after command "BCDedit /set recoveryenabled no"

Samsung notebook black screen after command "BCDedit /set recoveryenabled no": Hi, My Samsung notebook faced the exact automatic repair loop problem as described in the following link. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/automatic-repair-error-srttrailtxt/e462bd3f-2b92-4ed1-8b1c-ed4866256f46 I followed typing...
  10. BCDEDIT Command after Win10 Reinstallation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BCDEDIT Command after Win10 Reinstallation?: I had issues with BitLocker PIN prompt in the past similar to the below discussion. BitLocker with TPM and PIN - Laptop shuts down after 60 seconds The solution was this: open up command prompt window as administrator: type in this command: bcdedit /set {bootmgr}...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bcdedit /deletevalue {bootmgr} path the delete command specified is not valid.

2. bcdedit /set not valid

3. the delete command specified is not valid.

4. bcdedit the delete command specified is not valid,
  5. The set command specified is not valid.,
  6. bcedit /deletevalue command not valid,
  7. bcdedit the set command specified is not valid safemode,
  8. bcdedit the set command is not specified,
  9. bcdedit said the unknown command was specified,
  10. bcdedit set the set command specified is not valid,
  11. bcdedit /store not valid,
  12. PS C:\Windows\system32> bcdedit /delete {fb3e6580-434b-11ea-be1c-806e6f6e6963}The delete command specified is not valid.Run bcdedit /? for command line assistance.The parameter is incorrect.,
  13. an unknown command was specified.run bcdedit /? for command line assistance.,
  14. he delete command specified is not valid,
  15. bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path /efi/ubuntu/shimx64.efi the set command specified is not valid. run bcdedit /? for command line assistance.