Windows 10: BCDEdit: The boot configuration store could not be opened

Discus and support BCDEdit: The boot configuration store could not be opened in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am trying to use the BCDEdit command from Windows 10 Boot Media 1803. However, whenever I try to run the command, the following text is returned:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by HostileLawnmower, Mar 29, 2020.

1. BCDEdit: The boot configuration store could not be opened

I am trying to use the BCDEdit command from Windows 10 Boot Media 1803. However, whenever I try to run the command, the following text is returned:

X:\Sources>bcdedit

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.

The requested system device cannot be identified due to multiple indistinguishable devices potentially matching the identification criteria.

When I try to use bootrec /rebuildbcd, I also get the same error. The returned text looks like this:

X:\Sources>bootrec /rebulidbcd

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 1

[1] D:\Windows

Add installation to boot list? YesY/NoN/AllA:y

The requested system device cannot be identified due to multiple indistinguishable devices potentially matching the identification criteria.

The reason I am attempting to rebuild the BCD is because whenever I boot my computer, it goes into a boot loop. To escape this boot loop I must press F11 to choose from a list of all available boot devices. However, Windows Boot Manager does not show up on this list until the system has rebooted a number of times.

:)

HostileLawnmower, Mar 29, 2020
  2. dictum Win User

bcdedit: The boot configuration data store could not be opened

It was done in the post #1 above.

- - - Updated - - -

BCDEdit: The boot configuration store could not be opened [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

do you think that's going to rebuild the BCD store issue?

- - - Updated - - -

dictum, Mar 29, 2020
  3. dictum Win User

I used Macrium Reflect to clone a disk onto another disk and now all BCD data has disappeared. When I run bcdedit, I get this:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
    The system cannot find the file specified.

EasyBCD doesn't find a file either.

Should I run bootrec /rebuildbcd?

Or do I have to do the sequence of:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixbcd
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Any other ideas before I run the above?

Also x:\boot\bcd is missing on all 3 disks that are bootable with Windows 10 (they are all clones).

- - - Updated - - -

And these are the bootable disks, C:, G: and F:

- - - Updated - - -

There is also this procedure:

How to Rebuild the BCD in Windows

and this:

Windows 10 doesn't boot anymore after flagging partion as active

and this:

Which tool to recover the EFI partition? Booted into Rescue Disk

dictum, Mar 29, 2020
  4. BCDEdit: The boot configuration store could not be opened

Open the Command Prompt as a administrator and execute bcdedit command post a screenshot of this command output.

FreeBooter, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

BCDEdit: The boot configuration store could not be opened

1. BCDEdit: The boot configuration store could not be opened - Similar Threads - BCDEdit boot configuration

2. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied: The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is deniedThe file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum....
  3. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied: The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is deniedThe file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum....
  4. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration: A week ago I reset my PC using the option in the Settings app and when it finished my Windows wasn't booting. I created a installation media using the media creation tool but at the end of the installation, a message appears saying "Windows could not update the computer's...
  6. Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration

Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration: A week ago I reset my PC using the option in the Settings app and when it finished my Windows wasn't booting. I created a installation media using the media creation tool but at the end of the installation, a message appears saying "Windows could not update the computer's...
  7. The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The volume for a file has been...: Hello to everyone. At the beginning I'd installed windows 10 with the legacy BIOS-MBR boot mode,but since I needed a Windows 10 installation that was able to boot using the EFI partition style,I have converted the partition scheme from MBR to EFI with a tool and after this...
  8. bcdedit: The boot configuration data store could not be opened

in Windows 10 Support
    bcdedit: The boot configuration data store could not be opened: I used Macrium Reflect to clone a disk onto another disk and now all BCD data has disappeared. When I run bcdedit, I get this: The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified. EasyBCD doesn't find a file either. Should I...
  9. The boot configuration data store could not be opened

in Windows 10 News
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]BCD or Boot Configuration Data files contain instructions that are needed by Windows to boot correctly. If you have a problem booting up your computer, the chances are that is caused by a misconfiguration or even corrupted BCD files. If while [...] This post...
  10. store could not open

store could not open: why are could not open the my store application i want resign https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/store-could-not-open/af49cbc4-7f71-4764-af7e-d8ddf337b0a4

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bcdedit the system cannot find