Windows 10: Be Careful With The 9 May 2017 Update

Discus and support Be Careful With The 9 May 2017 Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Before you install the update released today (9 May) be careful and take precautions. It installed to my PC when I started it earlier, though I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Arelem, May 9, 2017.

1. Arelem Win User

Be Careful With The 9 May 2017 Update

Before you install the update released today (9 May) be careful and take precautions.

It installed to my PC when I started it earlier, though I didn't know it. The PC had restarted and was stuck at the blue window start up screen, the little dots just happily spinning around. It sounds like Windows has started but the start up screen won't go away.

I got on my laptop to start researching the problem, not knowing about the update/restart. I found a couple things online I tried and even posted a question in the general forum. As I tried accessing my PC with a Win10 repair disk, my laptop updated and requested to restart. I wasn't using it right then and told it okay. Lo and behold, after it restarted, the laptop did the same thing as the PC, the start up screen that won't go away.

Hardware wise, there is no cross over between. The PC is a 4 year old BYOPC with an i7 processor and NVidia graphics. The laptop is a 10 year old HP Pavilion with a Core 2 Quad processor and AMD graphics.

I have had to resort to using my wheezy HP Slate10 HD tablet to post this warning.

:)

Arelem, May 9, 2017
  2. object404 Win User

After the May 9, 2017 Windows 10 update, clicking on the desktop wallpaper or icons disables clicking for the taskbar and all windows

Actually, after clicking on the desktop or desktop icons (which are technically un-clickable), my monitor 1 essentially turns into a frozen state, with all windows, icons, and taskbar being un-clickable. Alt-tabbing to open apps is the only way to get
    around this, and clicking on the desktop returns it to this state.

object404, May 9, 2017
  3. object404 Win User
    After the May 9, 2017 Windows 10 update, clicking on the desktop wallpaper or icons disables clicking for the taskbar and all windows

Basically when I click on the desktop wallpaper or desktop icons, my windows and taskbar become disabled on my first monitor and I can no longer click them...

The only workaround I have is to alt-tab to one of my active programs or to click on items in my 2nd monitor, which will then re-enable the taskbar, and then I can interact with open windows again, but I still cannot click on the desktop or desktop icons
    without the taskbar and windows no longer responding to clicks.

Help!

object404, May 9, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

My Win10 RTM Version 1607 Build 14393 updated this afternoon and no problems.

Berton, May 9, 2017
  5. Arelem Win User
    It may have for you, but not for me.

I got the laptop back up by using a recovery disk and restoring back to before the update.

My PC is still not working right. System restore keeps failing, no matter what date I pick.

Arelem, May 9, 2017
  6. cbomb101 Win User
    i already made a thread on this bud

cbomb101, May 9, 2017
  7. cbomb101 Win User
    i did update today and was stuck at boot with the spinning dots. do a system restore to fix it. startup recovery didnt work for me

cbomb101, May 9, 2017
  8. cbomb101 Win User

to see the advanced options i restarted my pc a few times till it came up on boot.

cbomb101, May 9, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    I doubt this is a widespread issue. All updates get some issue for some people. Best plan is to make regular image backups so easier to backtrack.

cereberus, May 9, 2017
  10. No problems here either

indianacarnie, May 9, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
  12. jamis Win User
    Did the 05/09/17 update last night with no issues. Went from bld. 15063.138 to bld. 15063.296. There were 3 updates in the download. The restart portion ran rather long, but finished with no intervention. I did run a System Image save and created a new System Repair Disk just prior doing the update. Just in case things went awry.

jamis, May 10, 2017
  13. Be Careful With The 9 May 2017 Update

You may have to turn off your anti-virus if you have it, some of them prevent system restore from working, like Norton.

40intrepid, May 10, 2017
  14. xq1xq1xq1 Win User
    I have a Dell that went spinning circles - I did a system restore but when it patched again same problem.

Don't want to stop updates but will need to until someone can come up with a solution to the May 9 microsoft update for windows 10 :-~

xq1xq1xq1, May 13, 2017
  15. cbomb101 Win User
    i was gonna try update again to see if they have a fix but since hearing its still happening ill hold of.

cbomb101, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Be Careful With The 9 May 2017 Update - Similar Threads - Careful May 2017

2. This Week on Xbox: May 9, 2019

in Windows 10 News
    This Week on Xbox: May 9, 2019: Welcome to This Week on Xbox, your weekly source of all things Xbox. We'll cover the latest launches, give you exclusive interviews, let you know about upcoming sales, and keep you up to speed on the newest trailers. All that and more on This Week on Xbox. vdLgh-RzT9o...
  3. New Update for Surface Book 2 - May 9

in Windows 10 News
    New Update for Surface Book 2 - May 9: We’ve released a new update for Surface Book 2 devices with Windows 10 Version 1803 and above. This update includes a new driver for Surface Integration that improves hibernation on Windows 10 April 2018 Update. This update is available in MSI format from the Surface Book 2...
  4. Advanced System Care 9 Beta 1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advanced System Care 9 Beta 1: Download Advanced SystemCare 9 - MajorGeeks If you are interested in giving it a try, win 10 friendly ASC 9 is out for trial. I use it frequently and keesp my pc clean and smooooooothh, and no, I dont get a kick back *Eek 12630
  5. Windows 10 update may 2017 problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update may 2017 problem: Hi all New here so sorry if it's not in the right place I got a notification about the new update for my system and I decided to install it today On start up it began the install and went through 100% and turned off, Now on start up it gets to the black screen...
  6. Visual Studio Team Services Update - May 11, 2017

in Windows 10 News
    Visual Studio Team Services Update - May 11, 2017: As you may know, this week is the //Build conference. Along side that event, we are announcing a ton of VS Team Services enhancements, including rolling out our sprint 117 upgrade. Some of the changes are available immediately (because they were previously deployed and only...
  7. Update from W7 still FREE (May 2017)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update from W7 still FREE (May 2017): Hi there Before you BUY Windows 10 note : The FREE update from W7 to W10 is STILL working. (13 May 2017). Just done one and finished at 12.40 local time today. 1) download the media creation tool. 2) from within W7 run the setup 3) all done - and you'll see you...
  8. May 2017 Non-Security Office Update Release

in Windows 10 News
    May 2017 Non-Security Office Update Release: Listed below are the non-security updates we released on the Download Center and Microsoft Update. See the linked KB articles for more information. Office 2010 Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB3128031) Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB3191906) Office 2013...
  9. .NET Framework May 2017 Monthly Rollup

in Windows 10 News
    .NET Framework May 2017 Monthly Rollup: Today, we are releasing a new Security and Quality Rollup and Security Only Update for the .NET Framework. Please see .NET Core May 2017 Updates for the .NET Core updates being released today. Security Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2017-0248 A...
  10. May 2017 security update release

in Windows 10 News
    May 2017 security update release: Today, we released security updates to provide additional protections against malicious attackers. By default, Windows 10 receives these updates automatically, and for customers running previous versions, we recommend they turn on automatic updates as a best practice.More...