Windows 10: Been away and can't make sense of W10 conditions

Discus and support Been away and can't make sense of W10 conditions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been away from the forum for a long time. And as such I have missed out on a lot of key info. So I have some questions (that have prolly been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bigseb, Jul 30, 2015.

1. bigseb Win User

Been away and can't make sense of W10 conditions

I have been away from the forum for a long time. And as such I have missed out on a lot of key info. So I have some questions (that have prolly been asked a thousand times so please bear with me...)

• In order to upgrade must I do the upgrade via Windows Update? Or can I just download the ISO and do a clean install, completely overwriting my W7 OS?
    • I have heard that W10 forces you to accept all updates. Is this true?
    • Can someone please confirm that PC's will not be locked after 1 year due to some hidden clause (I read some vague reference to device life... not sure what that meant.

The first two would play hell with my data plan so I need to know what I am letting myself in for. The third one is important as I use my PC for business too; don't want to be locked out or something...

Much appreciate all replies. And your patience.

:)

bigseb, Jul 30, 2015

2. The ongoing disastrous Windows 10

Hi I vote.

c) You've done something wrong with your computer.

If you can't get W10 running like W7 did, IMHO you need to perform a clean install and then maintain your computer. Like it or not W10 is not going away. It will get better in time. I can already see a lot of improvement sense the first roll out!

gb89

garybear89, Jul 30, 2015
  3. ArtDH Win User
    Prepping a Windows 10 Computer for transfer to another person?

I am looking to retire/transfer a laptop and replace it with a newer model of PC. I remember seeing some instructions on Windows 7 to remove apps and use a feature to clean files and personal information off the computer before giving it to some one, giving
    it away, or sell.

This laptop came to me with W7 on it and has been upgraded to W10. Is there an equivalent set of instructions for a W10 computer to take it back to what is essentially an out of the box condition ready for a new owner to apply their apps, files, and use?

I will be uninstalling my apps and want to make sure my information is "cleaned" off of the computer.

ArtDH, Jul 30, 2015
  4. z3r010 Win User

You must upgrade first, after you have upgraded you are free to do a clean install - step 3 here is the easiest way - Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

No you are not forced to take the updates.

There is no hidden clause, once you've upgraded you have it until your PC dies.

z3r010, Jul 30, 2015
  5. bigseb Win User
    Thanks! How big is such an update? Again, data plan woes... *Sad

bigseb, Jul 30, 2015
  6. z3r010 Win User
    It shouldn't be any more than 4 gig at the very most.

z3r010, Jul 30, 2015
  7. swarfega Win User
    It's in the region of 3gb which is standard for most Windows OS files.

swarfega, Jul 30, 2015
  8. bigseb Win User

Ok... way to big for me. Prolly be cheaper to go a buy the disk in store... too bad... *Sad

bigseb, Jul 30, 2015
  9. BillyBob Win User
    I wish I could give you some of mine, I get 500 GB a month and I only use about 200GB.

BillyBob, Jul 30, 2015
  10. bigseb Win User
    Here's another question: will it become available in stores? Or is it only available online.

Pity I can't use the ISO to do the upgrade...

bigseb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Been away and can't make sense of W10 conditions - Similar Threads - Been away can't

2. Making sense of .Net in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making sense of .Net in PowerShell: I am a sysadmin and have used PowerShell on a daily basis for years. I have consistently noticed the injection of a .Net property is always worth a few lines of native cmdlets or unnecessary lines of logic. How do you go about looking up useful .Net resources for the use of...
  3. Making sense of .Net in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Customization
    Making sense of .Net in PowerShell: I am a sysadmin and have used PowerShell on a daily basis for years. I have consistently noticed the injection of a .Net property is always worth a few lines of native cmdlets or unnecessary lines of logic. How do you go about looking up useful .Net resources for the use of...
  4. Making sense of .Net in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Making Sense of a Bugcheck dmp File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making Sense of a Bugcheck dmp File: Good afternoon! I recently built my first computer and it ran fine for approximately 3 weeks. Suddenly it has started randomly turning off straight to black or blue screen of death. I've run every hardware test I can find, memory, GPU, CPU, and the wall outlet itself all...
  6. Making Sense of a Bugcheck dmp File

Making Sense of a Bugcheck dmp File: Good afternoon! I recently built my first computer and it ran fine for approximately 3 weeks. Suddenly it has started randomly turning off straight to black or blue screen of death. I've run every hardware test I can find, memory, GPU, CPU, and the wall outlet itself all...
  7. Randoms crashes and can't make sense of Event Viewer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Randoms crashes and can't make sense of Event Viewer.: Minidumps are enabled but I can't access the folder so this is the best I can do. I have attached my Event Viewer history. I have just finished: 1 Run the System File Checker tool SFC.exe both, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow 2 Run...
  8. A fix that does not make sense

A fix that does not make sense: My OS is Windows 10 and I have office 2007 installed which I’ve had for quite some time. Every now and then when I open MS Word it goes through the configuration process before it opens. It seems as there are a few different ways to fix it. One way was to go to Control Panel...
  9. Making sense of the Intel driver numbers:

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Making sense of the Intel driver numbers:: I have 4th Gen i5-4590 with HD Graphics 4600 When I ran the Intel Utility earlier, it 'disagreed' with what was actually showing in the display adapter in the Device Manager: The driver was listed as 10.18.15.4256 However the Intel Utility showed that the currently...
  10. Does it make sense to Dual-Boot W10 - Performance, tweaked / Comfort?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Does it make sense to Dual-Boot W10 - Performance, tweaked / Comfort?: Hi, I have a Lenovo Yoga 500 laptop. Core i7 6500, 8GB RAM. I'm a computer science student, so every bit of performance I can get is welcome. I'm thinking of creating a dual boot system of two Windows 10 installations, where one is tweaked towards the performance...