Windows 10: Been plagued by specific wake lock up for about 2 years - how to fix?

Discus and support Been plagued by specific wake lock up for about 2 years - how to fix? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, so where do I start with this? I've written on here before about this, and no one was really able to fix it, but they tried. So I'll try to lay... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DannyG13, Jan 7, 2020.

1. DannyG13 Win User

Been plagued by specific wake lock up for about 2 years - how to fix?

Hi, so where do I start with this?

I've written on here before about this, and no one was really able to fix it, but they tried.

So I'll try to lay it out best I can:

Put simply every so often, on my Windows 10 system, (which, btw, has been hardware replaced 99% aside the PSU since this error started) will lock hard immediately on wake.

It's not every time, and the nature of the crash has changed slightly throughout history, but ultimately waking up from sleep has been a monumental problem for a long, long time.

It used to be a black screen and a cursor only (which did respond to the mouse), which forced me to restart.

Then it became a hard lock on the lock screen on wake, with the network logo with an x on it and nothing responding.

Then it more recently became a hard lock on black screen - no cursor no nothing - just dead. Restart.

Then the one which made me disable sleep for now entirely, was a return back to hard lock on wake screen.

I have, as far as I know, tried EVERYTHING. The whole system has been replaced component for component bar the PSU and it is STILL doing this.

I am well aware Windows historically is flaky as heck for waking up, and there's a lot of issues with it - if this is one, and I can't resolve it, then fine, ok. But if there's a chance I can fix this, I'd love that.

It's not the hardware, as I say, it's all been replaced since this annoyance began. Aside that PSU (Corsair 1000W).

I really need the sleep function, my work relies on it. And this is such an inconvenience.

Where do I start or am I snookered?

I'm 1903 but this has been going on since as long as I now remember.

Thanks.

:)

DannyG13, Jan 7, 2020
  2. MHM CFS Win User

Wake from sleep issue

Well I tried the suggested solutions but nothing worked. The four fixes were:
    • 1) To Enable or Disable Lock Screen using Group Policy
    • 2) To Enable or Disable Lock Screen using a REG file
    • 3) To Disable Lock Screen using a Task
    • 4) To Disable Lock Screen using Security Policy Rule
    Fixes 1 & 4 are only available for Win 10 Enterprise, Education and Server editions so they are not available to me. Tried fixes 2 & 3 but neither worked. There is a suggestion that with build 16170 the registry fix will be available to all editions of Win 10 but I wouldn't bet on it. Anyone have a way to fix this?

MHM CFS, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Will not wake from sleep

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I would suggest you to try the steps below to open the power troubleshooter

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type control and press enter to open control panel.

3. Type troubleshooting in the control panel search box.

4. On the left side, click on "troubleshooting".

5. Click "view all" on the left pane.

6. Run the power troubleshooter.

To make sure your devices are set to wake the computer up, I would suggest you to follow the steps below:

• 1. Press Windows key + R

2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

3. Expand keyboard, it will display your keyboard, right click and go to properties.

4. Select Power management.

5. Check Allow this device to wake the computer.
    Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jan 7, 2020
  4. jmcslob Win User

2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

T ski b4 your done with this post can you list a step by step fix of what you did, I would appreciate it if you would...Thanks

jmcslob, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Been plagued by specific wake lock up for about 2 years - how to fix? - Similar Threads - Been plagued specific

2. How to speed up wake from sleep on 2 year old laptop?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to speed up wake from sleep on 2 year old laptop?: I turned on "fast start" but that made no difference - typical for Msft. It can take 30 seconds to a minute or 2 to wake up and then another 30 seconds or so to load/reconnect. It's 2024 and this is a $2000+ work laptop with 16gB memory-does Msft think that's ok?...
  3. Windows 11. I can't open specific folders. Hasn't been fixed for year and a half...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11. I can't open specific folders. Hasn't been fixed for year and a half...: I can't open specific folders such as Recycle bin, My Drive. When ever i double tap and try to open it, it opens at Home folder and i have to manually right click and press on Open in new window to actually open it. Please how to fix this? This is my third entry and i have...
  4. Windows 11. I can't open specific folders. Hasn't been fixed for year and a half...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11. I can't open specific folders. Hasn't been fixed for year and a half...: I can't open specific folders such as Recycle bin, My Drive. When ever i double tap and try to open it, it opens at Home folder and i have to manually right click and press on Open in new window to actually open it. Please how to fix this? This is my third entry and i have...
  5. Plagued with over a year of countless BSOD loops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plagued with over a year of countless BSOD loops.: Plagued for over a year with countless BSOD loops. I’ve tried most things, swapped hardware, reinstalled windows, clean installs, memory tests, disk cleanups, new drives, disconnecting USB hubs, Windows 11, Windows 10, disabling fast boot, turning off anything that even...
  6. Plagued with over a year of countless BSOD loops.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Plagued with over a year of countless BSOD loops.: Plagued for over a year with countless BSOD loops. I’ve tried most things, swapped hardware, reinstalled windows, clean installs, memory tests, disk cleanups, new drives, disconnecting USB hubs, Windows 11, Windows 10, disabling fast boot, turning off anything that even...
  7. This has been going on for about 2 hours.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This has been going on for about 2 hours.: It's stuck on 20% for about 2 hours. And what is this error? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-has-been-going-on-for-about-2-hours/4c76a954-4030-42c3-8ff5-546b08af52aa
  8. Display driver? crash that has plagued me for years

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display driver? crash that has plagued me for years: Firstly here is my device informationProcessor IntelR CoreTM i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHzRam 12.0 GBSystem type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processorSo anytime a watch a video or play a game it will run fine for around 2-10 minutes depending on the intensity of what...
  9. Been delaying an update for about a year now

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Been delaying an update for about a year now: This is going to be a stupid question but I pretty much need this laptop at every moment, and it's my fault for doing this but i've been delaying an update since last January (damn Windows releases an update every other day now adays is what it feels like). At first I was...
  10. 2 tries to wake up laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    2 tries to wake up laptop: After the latest upgrade to Windows 10 Creators, my trusty T500 Thinkpad has (re-)developed an issue with waking from sleep. It wakes fine but then goes back to sleep almost immediately. On the second attempt it wakes properly and stays awake. Video attached - apologies...