Windows 10: Before a total Reinstall

Discus and support Before a total Reinstall in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, Mum cannot login to her laptop !!! I upgraded the laptop to Win 10 Pro 64 bit as part of the free Win 10 rollout 2 years ago, creating an... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by stuartgb100, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Before a total Reinstall

Hi,

Mum cannot login to her laptop !!!

I upgraded the laptop to Win 10 Pro 64 bit as part of the free Win 10 rollout 2 years ago, creating an admin account for Mum.
    There is also a standard account for her daughter.

Sure enough when I checked it, the known password is not recognised.

So, I cannot login via an admin account.

Is there any option other than a clean install, and will that mean paying for a licence ?

Thanks.

:)

stuartgb100, Apr 18, 2017

2. How do I do a total reinstall of w10?

installed w10 over my vista home premium. Now the computer is totally in havoc.

My windows mail opens as a small 3 inch square box each time I open it. I have to lick on maximize to get it to open. Every time I access it. My hard drive fan makes constant noise, telling me that the system never slows down or stops.

I can't open the store, or any other app I have downloaded. I get the apps to open for a mere 2 seconds then they disappear. So does the store app. I can't access or do anything.

My dvd player won't play anything, It doesn't know how to read the disc inside. Can't play from controls.

What the F happened to my system?

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Before a total Reinstall [​IMG]

what my system is.

Before a total Reinstall [​IMG]

my error when trying to open any app, the store too.

TheCrazyEagle, Apr 18, 2017
  3. How do I do a total reinstall of w10?

You will never be able to active win 10. Vista is not part of the free upgrade to win 10. If you want win 10 you will have to purchase it

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Apr 18, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Before a total Reinstall

You don't need a product key to clean install Windows 10. If it asks for a product key, click the little link on that page for "I don't have a product key". After installation, Windows will retrieve the digital license for that computer stored on Microsoft Activation Servers and activate Windows.

See here, option 4 to enable the built-in Administrator account:
    Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 - Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

When logged into the built-in administrator account you have a few options, you can reset the password for Mum's account, you can change the daughter's account to administrator, you can create a new local account with administrator rights. When you get it fixed, make sure to disable the built-in administrator account.

NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum. You can do a clean install to the latest version you don't need to buy it as the activation is stored on ms server. Was she using a local account or online account?

Samuria, Apr 18, 2017
  6. Many thanks for the responses, both.

Using a local account.

A couple of questions please:

I always thought a clean install removed all accounts, user data etc., and yet NavyLCDR you say
    that I will be able to change passwords and account types for Mum and daughter after the install.

So the accounts will be restored/preserved during the clean install ?
    And what of their data ?

BTW apologies for the original post in the wrong sub-section (doh).

Thanks.

stuartgb100, Apr 18, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You seem to have missed a few lines from my post you quoted:

See here, option 4 to enable the built-in Administrator account:
    Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 - Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

When logged into the built-in administrator account you have a few options
    , you can reset the password for Mum's account, you can change the daughter's account to administrator, you can create a new local account with administrator rights. When you get it fixed, make sure to disable the built-in administrator account.

If you do a clean install, all previous accounts are indeed erased. Enabling the built-in Administrator account is not doing a clean install.

NavyLCDR, Apr 19, 2017
  8. Before a total Reinstall

Understood.

Many thanks.

stuartgb100, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Before a total Reinstall

1. Before a total Reinstall - Similar Threads - Before total Reinstall

2. Reinstalled Windows, now computer is totally broken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalled Windows, now computer is totally broken.: I’m pretty inexperienced when it comes to computers and recently I wanted to reinstall windows to clean up my PC entirely. I was running windows 8.1, and i went into settings and pressed the option to reinstall windows without my files. After a while, the reinstall was...
  3. Reinstalled Windows, now computer is totally broken.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalled Windows, now computer is totally broken.: I’m pretty inexperienced when it comes to computers and recently I wanted to reinstall windows to clean up my PC entirely. I was running windows 8.1, and i went into settings and pressed the option to reinstall windows without my files. After a while, the reinstall was...
  4. Reinstalling windows 10 before selling PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling windows 10 before selling PC: Hi there, My device came with windows 10 home. I upgrade it from home to pro via the Microsoft Store, so now my activation page says activated with a digital license linked to MS account. My question is if i decide to sell this PC can i get the original Home edition back...
  5. Windows is resetting my total data usage before 12 am

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows is resetting my total data usage before 12 am: I have configured windows like this [ATTACH] Then at sometime between 7:00 to 8:00 pm the data limit will be reset ex at 6:00 pm-1.05 GB at 7:40 pm-1mb I don't know why this is happening please help me...
  6. Totally factory reset my laptop and it seems even slower than before

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Totally factory reset my laptop and it seems even slower than before: My laptop was being slow and so I completely reset it. Now it seems even slower and the start up seems slower too. Opening apps seems slower and takes more time. What can I do? submitted by /u/bluetundra123 [link] [comments]...
  7. To do list before reinstalling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    To do list before reinstalling: I tend to reinstall my laptop every year or so, to keep it from running full with unwanted junk. This time i also want to exchange the Hard drive, so a fresh installation is the best solution The last time (which was the first time reinstalling windows 10) i had a bit of...
  8. Total disk wipe resulted in Windows reinstalling again

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Total disk wipe resulted in Windows reinstalling again: Hiya. Basically, my Windows became a victim to a huge amount of viruses. I did a disk wipe and somehow when the wipe finished the Windows 10 reinstalled themselves again. My question here is why and how did that happen and is it actually safe to use the clean slate windows...
  9. Having issues removing Chrome before reinstalling.

in Browsers and Email
    Having issues removing Chrome before reinstalling.: I work from home doing all sorts of odd job contracts. I have one I'm about to being that requires me to use Chrome with no 3rd party extensions. Since I have added many extensions to Chrome, I thought it best to just uninstall then reinstall. When I tried doing this via add...
  10. Why does windows appear to totally reinstall and reset itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does windows appear to totally reinstall and reset itself: A few weeks ago I came back to my PC (Dell Inspiron 580 latest Windows 10) to find instead of my usual cluttered desktop with all my files I had a blank screen and windows had set all the settings to default (my IE 11 replaced by edge and so on). Fortunately there was a...