Windows 10: Before installing Windows 10, please read this special post of mine.

Discus and support Before installing Windows 10, please read this special post of mine. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all - A few days ago I had to reinstall W10 Pro on a desktop system at a client of mine. As I was starting the install process, the client had a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Compumind, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Compumind Win User

Before installing Windows 10, please read this special post of mine.

Hi all -

A few days ago I had to reinstall W10 Pro on a desktop system at a client of mine.

As I was starting the install process, the client had a few quick questions which I answered for him.
    Little did I know, that the "conversation" was going to screw-up the install badly.

Here's why...

When you reach the following screen in the W10 installer, it is time to make some selections for the setup.

I noted that the client had a webcam attached to the system, but paid little attention to it. As most of us know, webcams have two parts, a camera and microphone.

He also has speakers but they were turned completely off.

Before installing Windows 10, please read this special post of mine. [​IMG]

Now look at this picture and note where the Red Arrow is pointing to.
    It's pointing to a small Microphone Icon that is set to on in it's default state.

Well, the OS (Cortana like voice recognition) was listening to our conversations and using that as input to make all the screen selections! My client gazed at the screen a few times over my shoulder but said nothing.

Eventually, enough was said to change the country and keyboard type before I went to finish and install.
    I had no idea!

Obviously, when Win10 was ready, I couldn't understand why things were not working they way they were supposed to and it took me some time to figure it all out and correct the configuration problems.

So Microsoft, hear this:

Change your setup routine to disable the microphone by default and have a short advisory displayed for people who have a microphone during setup. Some desktop systems have a microphone attached and many, many laptops come with it as standard.

Yes, you could click on the microphone icon to mute it (as I now do) but what about those who have no idea what could really happen.

By disabling the microphone by default, this potential problem becomes a non-issue.
    Anyone can re-engage it!

This was my experience which I duplicated in my test lab at home.

If you are doing a desktop install with a webcam, either mute the microphone icon on the setup screen or better yet, unplug it. It's rare, but it shows how something so trivial can lead to headaches in some cases.

Just wanted to share this with all of you...

Best,

Brian *Biggrin

:)

Compumind, Oct 11, 2018

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Oct 11, 2018
  4. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Before installing Windows 10, please read this special post of mine. - Similar Threads - Before installing please

2. Please wait a few moments before posting again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please wait a few moments before posting again.: The moderation Bot run by AI is stupid as a box of rocks. Censorship in any form Doesn't meet our guidelines. Please try again. Session has expired. Please sign in again. Please wait a few moments before posting again. Just a few examples for reference seems to be a Microsoft...
  3. Please wait a few moments before posting again.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please wait a few moments before posting again.: The moderation Bot run by AI is stupid as a box of rocks. Censorship in any form Doesn't meet our guidelines. Please try again. Session has expired. Please sign in again. Please wait a few moments before posting again. Just a few examples for reference seems to be a Microsoft...
  4. SIHOST64.exe Mining Trojan @_AW_ Please read

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SIHOST64.exe Mining Trojan @_AW_ Please read: Assuming you are _AW_, who helped the OP user in this articlehttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usersappdataroamingmicrosofttelemetrysihost64exe/bce0a1d5-db3a-493e-bbda-9b34a242d311?page=1, I am facing the same issue, downloading an unremovable trojan...
  5. Microsoft Store isn't installed. Please read before replying.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store isn't installed. Please read before replying.: Ok, you read the title and that is the truth. Microsoft Store is not installed on my laptop. I have the newest Windows 10 update so there should be no problem, but there is. I have tried everything imaginable. I tried the 'wsreset.exe' method, the WindowsPowershell command...
  6. Microsoft Store isn't installed. Please read before replying.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store isn't installed. Please read before replying.: Ok, you read the title and that is the truth. Microsoft Store is not installed on my laptop. I have the newest Windows 10 update so there should be no problem, but there is. I have tried everything imaginable. I tried the 'wsreset.exe' method, the WindowsPowershell command...
  7. Microsoft Store isn't installed. Please read before replying.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Before you upgrade or install 20H2 read this!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Before you upgrade or install 20H2 read this!: Windows 10 20H2 has issues with nVidia graphics cards. Freezing, blue screen, black screen, windows update not working, icons unclickable, shurtdown or restart getting hung up are all related to nVidia and 20H2 not playing nicely. Driver updates will not help. If you are...
  9. Reading Posts to questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading Posts to questions: When I am reading the posts to a thread, and there are obviously more pages, how does one move on to the next page of replies please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-posts-to-questions/34f61016-8917-44ef-bbbd-cb39b94475a3
  10. Please Read Before Updating to October 1809 Build !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Please Read Before Updating to October 1809 Build !: For allot of people who have already tried the latest October 1809 Update, While some are successful in getting the update to install they are noticing files missing are deleted! To Help People I'm Posting these Instructions in Hopes that You will not Loss Your Most Valued...