Windows 10: Before upgrading from 1809 Home to Pro

Discus and support Before upgrading from 1809 Home to Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I got an Acer laptop which came with W10 Home 1809. I bought the Pro Product key, but this needs phone validation before the upgrade — if I want the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ineuw, Nov 8, 2019.

1. ineuw Win User

Before upgrading from 1809 Home to Pro

I got an Acer laptop which came with W10 Home 1809. I bought the Pro Product key, but this needs phone validation before the upgrade — if I want the upgrade from the Microsoft store which would protect my apps and data. But phone validation on the Activation "Change Product key" does not exist in this version.

I also have the W10 Pro live 1809 USB key. Can this be used to upgrade and my apps and data remain protected? I prefer not t reinstall the apps.

:)

ineuw, Nov 8, 2019
  2. E.Swaff Win User

I cannot update my Surface Pro 6 to Windows 10 1809

I just upgraded my Surface Pro to Windows 10 build 1809.
    Here are the steps I did:

1. Open your web browser and go to Download Windows 10 and click "Download tool now".
    2. Double-click on the MediaCreationTool1809.exe file you've downloaded.
    3. Agree the license terms.
    4. Select the "Upgrade this PC now" option and click Next.
    5. Just wait to complete the upgrade process.

E.Swaff, Nov 8, 2019
  3. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

Download Windows 10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Before upgrading from 1809 Home to Pro

Hidehiro NAGAOKA, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Before upgrading from 1809 Home to Pro

1. Before upgrading from 1809 Home to Pro - Similar Threads - Before upgrading 1809

2. Upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro: I upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro with the online Microsoft store. The product key listed in the Activate window in the settings shows a key with all X's in the first four sets of number. The license is also incorrectly showing Windows 10 Enterprise when I...
  3. Upgraded to pro from home can not activate

Upgraded to pro from home can not activate: Get error code 0xC004F213, Just bought can't activate https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgraded-to-pro-from-home-can-not-activate/deb6f10e-9ee7-4c6b-83ed-3e9513e065f9"
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Upgrade from Home to Pro: I have purchased the win 10 version of Pro in the Microsoft Store. I tried to install it and the install failed, I am still running Win Home. I believe this is because I am a Microsoft Insider and it will simply just let me have Windows Home on my computer. Can you help me to...
  5. Upgrade from home to pro

Upgrade from home to pro: If I upgrade to "Windows 10 Pro" from "Home" is my "Home" license still valid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-home-to-pro/a78fe5c9-84bd-421f-bb3c-b27f9b5b7073"
  6. Upgrade from Home to Pro

Upgrade from Home to Pro: Just wondering, if I happen to upgrade my Windows 10 from Home to Pro, what will happen to my Home activation key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-home-to-pro/ae4c447a-f850-4ffc-835e-f99d0764b553"
  7. Upgrade issue from Home to Pro

Upgrade issue from Home to Pro: Hi, While trying to upgrade to Pro edition (i currently have home edition activated), my PK didn't work so I checked community forum if there is any solution, then i found out that sometimes i just have to use this PK : VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T, and after restarting...
  8. Can't upgrade from Home to Pro

Can't upgrade from Home to Pro: I purchased Windows Pro OEM back in 2016. Now with build 17758.1 it won't let me upgrade from home to pro! It says that I don't have a valid digital license or product key. How can I get it to let me upgrade to pro? Thanks....
  9. Upgrade to Pro from Home

Upgrade to Pro from Home: I have a license for Pro but my computer died a sudden death. The new one I ordered has the Home edition. Will I be able to upgrade to the Pro version on the new system? I would think so but you never know. 118760
  10. Upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from Home to Pro: I recently got a Lenovo Yoga 3 14 with Win 10 Home Pre-Installed. I want the Pro version to have access to the Group Policy Editor and other Pro features. If I buy the $99 upgrade can that be transferred to another computer if I decided to return this Lenovo and buy something...