Windows 10: Behind the creation of Microsoft Edge, the Internet Explorer killer

Discus and support Behind the creation of Microsoft Edge, the Internet Explorer killer in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Guys, how to uninstall internet explorer in windows 10? After upgrading, it is still there. Need to remove coz there is already ''edge''. Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Mystere, Jul 29, 2015.

1. celixyz Win User

Behind the creation of Microsoft Edge, the Internet Explorer killer

Guys, how to uninstall internet explorer in windows 10? After upgrading, it is still there. Need to remove coz there is already ''edge''.

celixyz, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Chris2005 Win User

IE is included in Windows 10.

Chris2005, Jul 30, 2015
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

It still needs SILVERLIGHT support if you use services with some DRM stuff like SKY GO / NETFLIX or similar.

Sky Go Installer

Since Silverlight is an Ms product and a huge number of people use these types of streaming services it seems incredible to me that they failed to allow for this in EDGE -- this means that I have to have at least TWO browsers if I want to use EDGE.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP Ms.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Trust_No1 Win User

It seemed to me that Silverlight was abandon several years back (as many MS products). So, I doubt that they will introduce this back into Edge.

My problem with Edge is that it has no way to reset it at present, and when importing bookmarks it imports them backwards, and it has no real bookmark managing whatsoever. You can't even get to a Favorites folder of sorts.

There was also talk about how it was to have all these new extensions. If memory serves me, I thought you could even use Chrome extensions. We have seen nor heard of any of this. The only reason it is faster is because it doesn't do anything.

Plus, since I don't use it, has the "chose your own search engine" been implemented yet? Bottom line, I think IE will have to remain for quite some time. Since IE, is included I don't think MS is getting rid of it any time soon.

Trust_No1, Jul 30, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Personally I'll stick with IE for the moment -- I HATE tabbed browsing anyway (I must be in a minority of one here --so be it) and I prefer the arrangement of the drop down to your favourites in IE11 to having to move the mouse to the right of the screen and use the edge drop down.

On a desktop with a large monitor I prefer having several windows or even instances of IE11 running concurrently.

Edge is obviously more suited to touch devices like phones / small tablets etc.

As far as Silverlight is concerned -- Ms might have abandoned it - but while other well used and current streaming services still use it then it won't be any point on using other browsers that don't support it.

Chrome works but as I said I HATE tabbed browsing so it's not for me.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    Silverlink is as dead as XP and MCE *Smile

Nobody can tell me my £9.99 NOWTV box runs Silverlight on its little Roku Linux core, and much more reliably than Silverlight or Adobe Air or any other streaming technology on Windows so far. There's almost never any buffering problems from this little Wi-Fi only box, yet a browser under Windows in a PC on a fast wired Ethernet will struggle to stream content much more often.

About You Know What we shouldn't mention here, the reading mode in Edge is rather fabulous when pages thick with garish marketing frames get in the way of content. Anyway, if you are registered here, is there any ad problem at all?

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

While I agree with you - try telling that to SKY TV --I happen to like SKY GO - especially for live sports. The Windows app requires Silverlight.

Android devices though have cracked it so Chrome supports it.

As far as XP --dead -- well not for me -- I create Vinyls for people from their music - and my old cutting hardware and software only runs on XP. It's a nice little spare time money earner for me so I have the XP in a VM -- overhead of the VM is very small indeed and as it's not connected to the Internet (Networking in the VM set to HOST only) there's no security risk either. !!!!

I'd love sky Go to drop Silverlight but until it does so I'll have to stick with IE. Also as before on a large monitor I don't like Edge at all.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Fafhrd Win User

I Meant a *Wink rather than a *Smile. *Wink

There were a few things that Microsoft has got right over the years, and their resilience and resistance to being smothered, locked in some tower and generally sidelined to death when some ill-conceived younger stablemate is the new favourite of the marketing machine, is plain to see.

People power wins, and who doesn't love not having to restart because some buggy updated piece of shxxware is being installed without your say so.

Choose your own search engine is a cinch in edge. Navigate to your search engine page, open settings and advanced settings, click on the text box in search in the address bar with, add new, select the search engine, add and if needed select the default.

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Silverlight isn't going to be implemented. It's not exactly "dead", because MS still supports it and has made commitments to supporting it, but it's lifetime is on the wall, and will eventually be completely dead. As such, Edge won't be supporting it, because Edge doesn't support ActiveX and never will.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    Not sure what there is to "reset". There are very few settings, so not sure what you mean. You can move favorites around in the bookmark manager.

MS has made it very clear for at least 6 months that Edge would be getting Chrome extensions, but they would not come until a POST-RTM update.

Yes, this has been in there for a long time actually. Unfortunately, the one search engine most people wanted to add did not yet support OpenSearch (and open standard for search providers). Google finally added the support a few days before July 29th, so google can now be added.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    I wouldn't, at least not yet. There are going to be times you run into something Edge can't handle, and you will need IE for that. That's why Edge has a "Open in IE" menu item.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Behind the creation of Microsoft Edge, the Internet Explorer killer - Similar Threads - Behind creation Microsoft

2. Microsoft Edge to Internet Explorer mode not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge to Internet Explorer mode not working.: As the support for Internet Explorer has ended some private companies who still have applications that compatible only to IE, switching to Edge in IE mode still don't work?...
  3. Microsoft Edge to Internet Explorer mode not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge to Internet Explorer mode not working.: As the support for Internet Explorer has ended some private companies who still have applications that compatible only to IE, switching to Edge in IE mode still don't work?...
  4. Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge: Hi Community,I’ve been trying to access an internet explorer website using my macbook on microsoft edge. however the website prompts me to download internet explorer 11 or higher in order to access.however i have not found a solution....
  5. Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge: Hi Community,I’ve been trying to access an internet explorer website using my macbook on microsoft edge. however the website prompts me to download internet explorer 11 or higher in order to access.however i have not found a solution....
  6. internet explorer , not microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    internet explorer , not microsoft edge: hi all, I took my internet explorer off my task bar and now I cant use anything but Microsoft EDGE , which I hate. Can anyone tell me how I can get my old internet explorer search engine back? thanks james...
  7. Internet is not working in Microsoft edge, internet explorer, Microsoft store and cortana....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet is not working in Microsoft edge, internet explorer, Microsoft store and cortana....: I tried reset internet properties and Inplace Microsoft upgrade but nothing helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-is-not-working-in-microsoft-edge-internet/0297ef94-a40f-4378-baf1-cba90c6c75f5
  8. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer Font issues....

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer Font issues....: when i open Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge and use any search engines (bing, google, etc..), my search results come back with links that i cannot understand (all except Google, Bing, etc logos), it appears fonts are changed only in search results. If i manually type...
  9. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11: I play a game that when I click on a link in the Chat it opens my browser and opens it directly to the link, but my Default browser is Microsoft Edge but, it always opens for me Internet Explorer 11. Can anyone help me in this please? 31738
  10. Open Website in Microsoft Edge with Internet Explorer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Website in Microsoft Edge with Internet Explorer: How to: Open Website in Microsoft Edge with Internet Explorer How to Open Website in Microsoft Edge with Internet Explorer Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and...