Windows 10: Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc

Discus and support Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A while ago I tried to install Forza Horizon 4 via the windows store. The installation didn't work, and the game never ran. Then I forgot about it. Now... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Chris is Great, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc

A while ago I tried to install Forza Horizon 4 via the windows store. The installation didn't work, and the game never ran. Then I forgot about it. Now I've found the files while doing some cleaning in a folder called WindowsApps, and there's almost 80gb of stuff trapped in permissions limbo that I can't get rid of.I've tried changing the owner to Administrators, and to my own user account which is also admin. I've also tried using admin powershell, which is also getting permission denial for the whole folder. Does windows have no equivalent to a *nix sudo command or anything like that? Wh

:)

Chris is Great, Dec 25, 2021
  2. Rey Bel1 Win User

Permission denied as admin

Hi,

It's possible that you haven't taken ownership of the folder that you're trying to delete. So we can better assist with you with successfully taking ownership of the folders you want to delete, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• Which Windows version are you using? Type winver on the search bar and press Enter to find out.
    • Have you made any recent changes on your device prior to the issue?
    • What have you done so far to resolve the issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps provided by Anup Karkal in this
    thread.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rey Bel1, Dec 25, 2021
  3. Permission denied

Hi,

The permission denied error normally appears if you are not using the admin account to run a specific program. To help us identify the appropriate solution to your concern, we'd like to ask for additional information. Kindly answer the following:

• Are you running the program as administrator when the error appeared?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Can you please show us a screenshot of the error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 25, 2021
  4. Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc

Permission denied as admin

I cannot delete steam files in the game directory, a message pops up saying I have to have permission from the user: 'MSI/Mikhail' to get access. I am the admin of my computer, there are no guest users, I am the only user created.

realmadrushn, Dec 25, 2021
Thema:

Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc

1. Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc - Similar Threads - Being denied permissions

2. Access denied despite administrator permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied despite administrator permissions: Hi there,using this forum as a last resort because I'm at my wit's end.I have the Xbox Games app installed on my Windows 11 only updated a couple days ago machine and I don't seem to have any permissions on the game folders.If I go to "Accounts > Your info" it clearly shows...
  3. Access denied despite administrator permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied despite administrator permissions: Hi there,using this forum as a last resort because I'm at my wit's end.I have the Xbox Games app installed on my Windows 11 only updated a couple days ago machine and I don't seem to have any permissions on the game folders.If I go to "Accounts > Your info" it clearly shows...
  4. directory size using powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    directory size using powershell: hi!i'm trying to get the size of a big folder using powershell.the most efficient way i found is using a com object like this example:New-Object -ComObject Scripting.FileSystemObject.getfolder"$path".sizesometimes it generates the size immediately but sometimes it takes...
  5. directory size using powershell

directory size using powershell: hi!i'm trying to get the size of a big folder using powershell.the most efficient way i found is using a com object like this example:New-Object -ComObject Scripting.FileSystemObject.getfolder"$path".sizesometimes it generates the size immediately but sometimes it takes...
  6. directory size using powershell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Being denied Admin priveleges despite being logged in as the Administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Being denied Admin priveleges despite being logged in as the Administrator: When I try to shut down my laptop Windows 7 using Alt+F4, it says "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." And all this despite I'm logged in with the admin account & it's the one & only user...
  8. Being denied Admin priveleges despite being logged in as the Administrator

Being denied Admin priveleges despite being logged in as the Administrator: When I try to shut down my laptop Windows 7 using Alt+F4, it says "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." And all this despite I'm logged in with the admin account & it's the one & only user...
  9. Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc

Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc: A while ago I tried to install Forza Horizon 4 via the windows store. The installation didn't work, and the game never ran. Then I forgot about it. Now I've found the files while doing some cleaning in a folder called WindowsApps, and there's almost 80gb of stuff trapped in...
  10. Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Being denied permissions despite owning the directory, using admin powershell, etc: A while ago I tried to install Forza Horizon 4 via the windows store. The installation didn't work, and the game never ran. Then I forgot about it. Now I've found the files while doing some cleaning in a folder called WindowsApps, and there's almost 80gb of stuff trapped in...