Windows 10: Best backup program?

Discus and support Best backup program? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; What is the most dependable backup program for Windows 10? I need to backup to an external usb encrypted drive. I need to be able to restore both the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Curious, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Curious Win User

Best backup program?

What is the most dependable backup program for Windows 10?
    I need to backup to an external usb encrypted drive. I need to be able to restore both the system and individual files.
    Thanks.

:)

Curious, Jul 25, 2016

2. BEST PRACTICES - BACKUPS

@bulldog

The system repair disc--at least in windows 7--is a bootable disc that you use when you are unable to boot from the system hard drive and you want to restore a system image. "repair disc" is what the windows documentation calls it and, yes IMHO, that is
    a misnomer.

cellist.usa, Jul 25, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    BEST PRACTICES - BACKUPS

I personally do not have a system repair disc; instead I make images (like you.) Why make repairs if I can just go back in time?

I make images and folder backups daily, overnight. I don't think that's excessive, especially since they happen while I'm sleeping. I also use third-party software for these jobs.

If I know I'll be making big changes to my system I always make a manual image before I start. And if I know I'll be making big changes to an important file I'll make a backup copy of the file before I start.

Since I make daily folder backups I don't see any reason for file history. If I want more frequent backups (i.e., more frequent than once a day) I can setup an incremental backup schedule.

Some people want to save a version of their work every time they make a change. I personally have no need for that, but it's a big world and if that's what you want, turn on File History.

Considering how convenient and powerful third-party backup software is, and how easy it is to make backups, there's really no good reason for not doing it. I don't think you can ever have too many backups. Better too many than too few. You'll never be sorry
    for backing up.

Just as important as making backups is where you store them. You want them to be stored in several places so, for example, if my house burns down all my most important and precious data is safe on Google Drive (oops, sorry Microsoft.)

BulldogXX, Jul 25, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Best backup program?

5. Curious Win User
    I've used macrium in the past and it is excellent, but in Windows 10, although it sees the USB drive, it does not the TrueCrypt encrypted volumes on it mounted as drives. So I can't use it.

Acronis TI can see these mounted volumes but the early versions are not compatible with W10 and I've heard bad things about its recent versions.

Curious, Jul 25, 2016
  6. Reflect is the way to go. I've used Acronis TI for years, but their latest are versions are spotty at best. I had an extra lic for TI 2015. I just built a new PC and installed W10 pro on it. I installed TI 2015, it worked backing up under W10, but both their Linux and WinPE recovery disks would not recognize any USB 3.0 external disks on this machine. Linux really crashed and WinPE never seen them and reason being they use the Windows 8 SDK to build the PE disk. I couldn't get it with out alot of extra work to recognize the W10 SDK, which has the necessary drivers.

So I tested Reflect, built the recover WinPE disk, and restored was able to recover my system. I have hence purchased Macrum Reflect.

storageman, Jul 25, 2016
  7. RolandJS Win User
    You might also want to ask your question to several possible backup/restore vendors' sales and technical staff - specifically mentioning any/all encryption in place.

RolandJS, Jul 25, 2016
  8. Curious Win User

Best backup program?

Thank you all. I'll work with Macrium support and support them because they deserve it.

Curious, Jul 26, 2016
  9. x509 Win User
    I back up my entire LAN using a paid product called Retrospect. It's kind of industrial strength, so it may be exactly what you want or it could be massive overkill. Retrospect: Backup Software for Small Businesses. Look for the Professional version, not any of the server versions that are really aimed at businesses.

10. Whatphoeb Win User
    The two program i like most is Acronis True Image and EaseUS Todo Backup.
    You're able to backup the files of your choice or make a complete image backup of your whole PC, saving it to places like an FTP server or external hard drive with Acronis.
    EaseUS Todo Backup is also as a nice choice, it is easy to use because of the built-in wizard that walks you through the steps of creating a backup job, it can backup individual files and/or whole folders to and from a location on a local drive or network folder, as well as save backups to a free cloud storage service.

Whatphoeb, Jul 26, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    Yes to Macrium Reflect Free *Smile No to poorly engineered Acronis products *Sad

Steve C, Jul 26, 2016
  12. x509 Win User
    -1 to Acronis. I know they were very popular years ago, so I bought their Disk Director Home 11. It worked well enough, but the OS Selector feature trashed some of my drives. Then recently I tried to convert some primary partitions to logical. Acronis borked.

So I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Free. Worked like a charm.

13. Beaupeep Win User

Best backup program?

Over the years I've used Acronis, Shadow Protect, EaseUS & Macrium Reflect. Acronis is buggy. EaseUS has a pretty UI but I wouldn't bet on it.

In my case only 2 backup programs have stood the test of time i.e. Shadow Protect Desktop and Macrium Reflect Pro/Home. Shadow Protect is comparatively expensive @ nearly $100 a license. While Macrium is $69 per license and 139.9 for the 4 license home use/"family"pack

Also, Macrium has the ability for the user to deactivate/reactivate at will (prior to a fresh install of Windows for example. SP has a deactivation limit after which you need to contact their Support for help. SP is more focussed on enterprise customers than individuals.

Go with Macrium Reflect Home (I have the home pack) or the free version with your eyes closed. I've been using it for over 4 years now and it's NEVER let me down.

Beaupeep, Jul 26, 2016
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

+1 For Macrium Reflect free. Never fails and if it should fail, check your hardware first.

Yes, it is free.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 27, 2016
  15. Stevekir Win User
    I use Free File Sync (it's free/donation) for my personal files (Documents, Pictures etc.). Easy to set up and use. Reliable and customisable. It is possible to create a single setting for the entire contents of a drive to be backed up to an external USB drive in one operation, but it can also backup single folders. One rare feature is the ability to allow disc names such as "Backup-01" (rather than drive letters) to be used. This gets over the crazy way Windows shuffles drive letters around, which could be disastrous for a backup program.

I tried Acronis but its manual did not correspond with what my monitor was showing. Also complex to use.

I use Windows Backup and Restore routine to backup the System, and make a System Image, every day. Making a Recovery Drive is also an other good way to re-install Windows when (like many people these days) you don't have a standalone installer for it.

FreeFileSync - Free Backup and File Synchronization Software

Stevekir, Jul 27, 2016
Thema:

Best backup program?

1. Best backup program? - Similar Threads - Best backup program

2. Best Way To Backup Windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Way To Backup Windows?: HiI have found in the past that the methods offered by Windows just don't work!Image: fine but the installation media can never find it and there is no search, so not an option.I have tried other backup software but whatever I tried had issues that led me to lose trust I...
  3. Best Way To Backup Windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best Way To Backup Windows?: HiI have found in the past that the methods offered by Windows just don't work!Image: fine but the installation media can never find it and there is no search, so not an option.I have tried other backup software but whatever I tried had issues that led me to lose trust I...
  4. Best Diagnostic Program?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Diagnostic Program?: I've been having issues with my Laptop Asus x571GT with some weird whirling noises coming from the HDD area.But after checking the logs and seeing the stats in Task Manager, I've ruled out the HDD but I haven't been able to isolate the problem/sound.Does anybody recommend a...
  5. Best way to backup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Best way to backup: Hi, I recently had an issue where my hard drive corrupted and I lost everything. I didnt have a restore point or backup. Now I want to make sure that if this happens again, I have a backup. What is the best way to do this on a regular basis? Would I need a 3rd party...
  6. Best replacement for Instant Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best replacement for Instant Backup: I used to use a program called Instant Backup, a paid program that did everything I wanted. I could schedule daily, weekly, and monthly backups and I managed to use it even on Windows 10 until I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and the program refused to install. I first...
  7. Best Backup for NAS drives?

Best Backup for NAS drives?: Hi, Would anyone recommend a good Cloud Backup for my NAS drives, Synology DS218J NAS 16TB and WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra NAS 8TB both on RAID1 (HOME) setups but am looking for a online backup incase off theft or any other problems? I'm using about 2-4TB at the moment. Thanks...
  8. Best Windows 10 backup

Best Windows 10 backup: Having spent days trying to restore a system image - with the help of tenforums - I would like recommendations for backups for my Bootcamp drive please. 139239
  9. what is the best backup solution?

what is the best backup solution?: I currently have about 10 hard drives of different sizes but they are mostly 4TB, they are used to store some videos. But no backup for any drives now, they are working fine though. However, the drives are getting old, ranged from 2 to 4 years. I am now doing some sorting...
  10. Best backup and sync tool

Best backup and sync tool: That was it! It was FAT32. I deleted the old image files x4, and re-formated that USB stick to NTFS, and created a new image on that. Now I have one backup image file. Thank you : ) Glad it worked out!