Windows 10: Best backup program?

Discus and support Best backup program? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; OP: Thank you all. Going with Macrium. I'll check the differences between free and paid versions. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Curious, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Curious Win User

Best backup program?

OP: Thank you all. Going with Macrium. I'll check the differences between free and paid versions.

Curious, Jul 27, 2016
  2. RolandJS Win User

FreeFileSync has its place, just watch out for the PUP within.

RolandJS, Jul 27, 2016
  3. cereberus Win User
    Agreed, additionally

Macrium - free

Acronis - not free

Need we say more?

cereberus, Jul 27, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Best backup program?

Some backup software from disk manufacturers is 'free' and based on Acronis products so beware. One example is Acronis True Image WD Edition - see http://support.wdc.com/downloads.asp...dsfWDSmartWare

Steve C, Jul 27, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    True - it is sometimes bundled free, but if OP had that, he would probably not be asking the question in the first place.

cereberus, Jul 27, 2016
  6. Curious Win User
    "or the free version with your eyes closed"

Thanks for your extensive reply. What do you mean by the phrase "with your eyes closed"?

Curious, Jul 27, 2016
  7. Grizzly Win User
    what early versions are not compatible?? I am using Acronis 2011 to make backups. Only thing with Acronis 2011 is that the recovery disc does not support GPT (UEFI), for that a later version is needed....

Acronis TI, the latest versions, has a bunch of problems. Not with the backing up but with the restoring itself. I have had TI 2014 and restoring a drive is a nightmare. Don't know for sure but from what I hear that has not improved with the youngest versions...

Grizzly, Jul 27, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Best backup program?

Forget it. The Free version is perfectly acceptable for normal use. It is not permitted to use it in a commercial environment but works anyway but I do not encourage violation of agreement.

For domestic users, there is little need to buy the paid versions as most extra features are largely business orientated to network deployment, multiple pcs etc. I could go into a long explanation about incremental and differential backups but not here.

Suffice it to say they do similar, but diffs are less storage space efficient than incs (only in paid version). Diffs are more than good enough for average domestic user.

cereberus, Jul 27, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    You might want to check to see if your 2011 version of Acronis software has installed low level filters / drivers. I found these were not uninstalled when I removed the Acronis software and had much 'fun' removing them.

Steve C, Jul 27, 2016
  10. RolandJS Win User
    Tell me more! Maybe start a separate thread so that we do not take away from this one *Smile

RolandJS, Jul 27, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    This should keep you busy for a while if you have the issue. See this thread and my Post 6 at http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-h...e-drivers.html

Please ensure you understand what you are doing and have a backup since it is possible to render your PC unbootable - thanks to Acronis sloppy software engineering.

Steve C, Jul 27, 2016
  12. Curious Win User
    Thank you. That is what I thought. Macrium are good people and I am using it now.

Curious, Jul 27, 2016
  13. Best backup program?

Reflect free is really good, but the paid version gives you several extra in my mind enhancements. I like doing incremental vs Differential backups. The incremental feature gives you some additional option for restoring, and I really like the batch feature. Instead running interactively, you just run one script cmd.

Oh and for RolandJS, removing Acronis is a B I T C H ! It did destroy my first pro build on this system after I found out I couldn't get it to use the W10 drivers for USB 3.0 & 3.1. It wouldn't boot after it got done cleaning up. Had to start fresh again.

storageman, Jul 27, 2016
  14. Curious Win User
    OP:
    I downloaded the latest free version of Macrium Reflect, v6.x. It actually now also includes differential backups (free version, not trial). So, for a home end user like myself, it really is all I would ever need. Thank you Macrium.

Being the cautious guy who was burned in the past I like to use 2 different backup tools and ext hard drives. That way at least one backup will restore successfully..... So in addition to Macrium Reflect I am thinking of also using free EasyUS. I did a trial backup in W10 with it and restored it successfully.

As for Acronis, I bought and used 2011, 2013 and 2014 years ago. I stopped after I had a couple of disasters with the last versions which in addition dropped long included capabilities.

Now that I moved to W10, I wasn't sure where things were as far as backup software. I'm glad it still is Macrium.

One final note, even after uninstalling Acronis, it still left items loading at bootup. Not wishing to risk deleting the wrong items in regedit, I used autostarts to disable all remaining (half a dozen) Acronis startup items. It's unbelievable that Acronis, which at one time had such a good reputation, would do such a horrible uninstall!

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Curious, Jul 28, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    You could run CCleaner and use the Registry option to check your register for errors, it might find those files and remove them for you. Its a VERY mild reg cleaner.
    Also look in your Programs folder for any sign of Acronis in there. if found delete the folder.

OldMike65, Jul 28, 2016
Thema:

Best backup program?

1. Best backup program? - Similar Threads - Best backup program

2. Best Way To Backup Windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Way To Backup Windows?: HiI have found in the past that the methods offered by Windows just don't work!Image: fine but the installation media can never find it and there is no search, so not an option.I have tried other backup software but whatever I tried had issues that led me to lose trust I...
  3. Best Way To Backup Windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best Way To Backup Windows?: HiI have found in the past that the methods offered by Windows just don't work!Image: fine but the installation media can never find it and there is no search, so not an option.I have tried other backup software but whatever I tried had issues that led me to lose trust I...
  4. Best Diagnostic Program?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Diagnostic Program?: I've been having issues with my Laptop Asus x571GT with some weird whirling noises coming from the HDD area.But after checking the logs and seeing the stats in Task Manager, I've ruled out the HDD but I haven't been able to isolate the problem/sound.Does anybody recommend a...
  5. Best way to backup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Best way to backup: Hi, I recently had an issue where my hard drive corrupted and I lost everything. I didnt have a restore point or backup. Now I want to make sure that if this happens again, I have a backup. What is the best way to do this on a regular basis? Would I need a 3rd party...
  6. Best replacement for Instant Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best replacement for Instant Backup: I used to use a program called Instant Backup, a paid program that did everything I wanted. I could schedule daily, weekly, and monthly backups and I managed to use it even on Windows 10 until I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and the program refused to install. I first...
  7. Best Backup for NAS drives?

Best Backup for NAS drives?: Hi, Would anyone recommend a good Cloud Backup for my NAS drives, Synology DS218J NAS 16TB and WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra NAS 8TB both on RAID1 (HOME) setups but am looking for a online backup incase off theft or any other problems? I'm using about 2-4TB at the moment. Thanks...
  8. Best Windows 10 backup

Best Windows 10 backup: Having spent days trying to restore a system image - with the help of tenforums - I would like recommendations for backups for my Bootcamp drive please. 139239
  9. what is the best backup solution?

what is the best backup solution?: I currently have about 10 hard drives of different sizes but they are mostly 4TB, they are used to store some videos. But no backup for any drives now, they are working fine though. However, the drives are getting old, ranged from 2 to 4 years. I am now doing some sorting...
  10. Best backup and sync tool

Best backup and sync tool: That was it! It was FAT32. I deleted the old image files x4, and re-formated that USB stick to NTFS, and created a new image on that. Now I have one backup image file. Thank you : ) Glad it worked out!