Windows 10: Best Buy's Geek Squad

Discus and support Best Buy's Geek Squad in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tested out Best Buy's geek squad a couple of days ago and put them to the test. Yes, i did! Why? Because I wanted to see if what I was hearing was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ukcatsfan83, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Best Buy's Geek Squad

I tested out Best Buy's geek squad a couple of days ago and put them to the test. Yes, i did! Why? Because I wanted to see if what I was hearing was true or not. I have been told they do NOT fully diagnose the problem and that they are just there to get your money. . . Well, i took one of my desktop computers, that I PERSONALLY BUILT, wrote down all the parts/serial numbers just in case they tried something funny. . . I disconnected the 4-pin ATX 12v Power Connector from the motherboard, and that's all i did. I told them that I couldn't get the computer to even turn on. They told me that it would be a couple of days and I would be charged a $49.99 diagnosis fee. After 2 days, they called me and told me that my motherboard was out, and that I would need a new one, which would cost me $149.99 + installation charges. I told them I would be there in a few minutes. I had the guy repeat to me what he told me over the phone, and i told him "watch this". I took the side door off, re-connected the ATX power connector and told him to take it back there and turn it on...........He did. . No problem. I told him that I was NOT paying anything because he did NOT fully do his job.
    If you claim to be a technician, ALWAYS start with the simplest diagnosis first.

:)

ukcatsfan83, Sep 4, 2015

2. error code 0x8024401c trying to download feature update for windows 10, version 1709.

I contacted Best Buy's Geek Squad to correct the problem.

It seems reasonable to me that updating should not be such a nose bleed.

This is the 3rd update that I have had to have the Geek Squad resolve with Windows 10.

RedHummingbird5, Sep 4, 2015
  3. start menu doesnt open. action center not working. edge not working correctly

whats next step, go to best buy and see geek squad?

MikeCholefsky, Sep 4, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Best Buy's Geek Squad

"Geek Squad" from what I've read has never got any good reviews and your experience is no different. When and if I need work done on my PC I go to a local shop where I've been doing business with and I know that they do know what they're doing and they don't try to rip me off. In fact I've sold parts to them that I no longer need.

I totally believe that the use of local shops is a better choice than the "Geek Squad" types.. but as usual. YMMV..

Oh and that's a funny story!!

Jeff

BunnyJ, Sep 4, 2015
  5. I did it just to see if the Geek Squad here was like the others i read about. . Sure enough, they are! Bunch of greedy little (expletive)'s . . . lol

ukcatsfan83, Sep 4, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    It was a good test, IMO. I purchased two TV's from Best Buy and I got an extended warranty but I was lucky and I never had to use it.. in fact the TV is still working great.

BunnyJ, Sep 4, 2015
  7. bro67 Win User
    They are not the only ones to pull that scam. You needed to get them recorded and post it up on the local news pages on Facebook. Also report their scam to not actually do a proper diagnosis.

bro67, Sep 4, 2015
  8. fredc Win User

Best Buy's Geek Squad

Man , you must have a lot of free time lol, thats a lot of work , imo , and i have used quite a few shops , most will find a way to get the most $$ out of you if they can .

One time i wanted them to fix my computer because it was non responsive ( when i new nothing) , all they did was a system restore, charged $100.00 .

Another one i went to was because i was convinced i had a bad infection , all they did was use the system recovery partition , another $100.00 . It pays to know how to do this simple stuff yourself , i don't trust any of them.

Just like car mechanics, if they know you don't know anything , they will find a way to charge you a lot more than what is necessary.

fredc, Sep 4, 2015
  9. stormy13 Win User
    [youtube]GDOKGbIUUZI[/youtube]

stormy13, Sep 4, 2015
  10. Gary Win User
    When my PC needs fixed I do it. I went to Best buy and asked a TV salesmen what they charge to install a Flat Screen TV. He said $300.00 for a standard install which mean plugging it in and connecting the cable and maybe programming the remote.

11. I do it myself too. There's a such thing called "Google Search". . I'm not perfect. I don't claim to know everything. Heck, i still have problems sometimes, BUT I do end up always figuring it out. If i can't, then I'll find someone online who can help. NO way am i taking it to those people!

ukcatsfan83, Sep 4, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    To be fair, that "expose" is deliberately creating a VERY difficult to diagnose problem. A bad stick of RAM can cause any number of symptoms. I know I've had bad memory cause symptoms that look like a lot of different things. And, an in-home diagnosis is not the ideal location to do this. But, there are a lot of people who really don't know what they're doing.

Mystere, Sep 4, 2015
  13. caperjack Win User

Best Buy's Geek Squad

and some of them work in computer repair shops ... I now have a nice little 2 year old acer tower for free because of it ,,it had a bad hdd ,and they couldn't get it to boot to a new one because of bios setting ,and they didn't figure this out ,so I ended up with the tower .it was on its way to computer/electronic disposal site . I added new hdd and made setting changes to bios ,loaded win10 ,and I turned it into a nice little tv box running KODI,,,oh I almost forgot they sold the customer a new tower.

edit ,, guy's working at this show are self-taught ,never worked or studied the trade before working at this electronic/enteraiment store

caperjack, Sep 4, 2015
  14. strollin Win User
    Yep. Places like the Best Buy don't pay very well so they don't get good techs, they get entry level techs. Once their techs get some experience under their belt they leave to go someplace else that pays better.

What you encountered was an incompetent tech, not someone trying to rip you off. I'm not sure how you got away without paying the diagnosis fee since you caused the tech to put in at least some time looking at your machine. If I was the manager I would have insisted that you pay the diagnosis fee due to your prank since you essentially wasted the tech's time.

strollin, Sep 4, 2015
  15. fredc Win User
    Thats certainly possible but so is the tech knowing exactly whats wrong but sticking it to the customer as well , could be either . Best Buy will do anything to make a buck , their really bad lol.

fredc, Sep 4, 2015
Thema:

Best Buy's Geek Squad

1. Best Buy's Geek Squad - Similar Threads - Best Buy's Geek

2. Had geek squad install a 3060, now have malfunctioning Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Had geek squad install a 3060, now have malfunctioning Win11: I had Best Buy's geek squad install a Nvidia RTX 3060, and now when I open my computer and sign in, theres only a black screen. to get to all my files I ctrl+alt+del to get to task manager and then go to startup apps and select "open file location". Some other oddities have...
  3. Had geek squad install a 3060, now have malfunctioning Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Had geek squad install a 3060, now have malfunctioning Win11: I had Best Buy's geek squad install a Nvidia RTX 3060, and now when I open my computer and sign in, theres only a black screen. to get to all my files I ctrl+alt+del to get to task manager and then go to startup apps and select "open file location". Some other oddities have...
  4. just data back up from Geek squad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    just data back up from Geek squad: I do not have arecent back up of all aps files programs I know pretty dumb huh is there a way to retrieve thi from like on drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/just-data-back-up-from-geek-squad/75eb0c13-4250-419b-9a6b-c5b248a12658
  5. just data back up from Geek squad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    just data back up from Geek squad: I do not have arecent back up of all aps files programs I know pretty dumb huh is there a way to retrieve thi from like on drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/just-data-back-up-from-geek-squad/75eb0c13-4250-419b-9a6b-c5b248a12658
  6. Windows Defender or Webroot Geek Squad

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender or Webroot Geek Squad: Hello, I just paid a lot of money $49 to renew my Webroot subscription. But I know Win 10 has Windows Defender. I want to know should I cancel the renewal w/ Webroot and just go with Defender? What's the difference between the two? Should I save my money? Opinions....
  7. how to remove screen mri disabled after geek squad cleared all issues

how to remove screen mri disabled after geek squad cleared all issues: Asked Geek Squad to clean up and defrag Windows 10 including mri disabled notification. Spoke with the GS tech person when finished and all issues are resolved. Can't get the mri disabled screen off when opening computer....
  8. Geek Tech, Geek Web

Geek Tech, Geek Web: My laptop locked up tonight. There was a number to call which was supposedly "Windows". 1-800-866-5169. They told me it was a Trojan and after working on it for well over an hour they freed it up and then told me it would cost $249.99 and plus $249.99 they would cover the...
  9. Geek Squad not able to login my Microsoft Acct

Geek Squad not able to login my Microsoft Acct: My Dell computer is currently being looked at by the Geek Squad. I do not know what version I have on it....possible 10. But Geek Squad cannot log in to my Microsoft account to work on it. They have the correct email address and password. Why can't they?...
  10. BSOD: GEEK SQUAD said they fixed it! LIES

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD: GEEK SQUAD said they fixed it! LIES: All sorts of programs are crashing. I go to game and it crashes Computer freezes only way to get it back is to turn it off. Mobo is a msi z390 a pro Ram gskill trident z rgb 3000mhz 16gb Hard drive 1tb western digital 1 year old 1tb ssd Samsung Psu Corsair rm 850w CPU i5...