Windows 10: Best firewall for windows 10?

Discus and support Best firewall for windows 10? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm doing a fresh install of Windows 10x64 and was wondering what is the best 3rd party firewall to choose, I'm looking for a firewall that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by antares, May 10, 2017.

1. antares Win User

Best firewall for windows 10?

Hi all, I'm doing a fresh install of Windows 10x64 and was wondering what is the best 3rd party firewall to choose, I'm looking for a firewall that will alert you of all program communications, giving one the choice of allowing/blocking any incoming/outgoing communication in full manual mode, thanks

:)

antares, May 10, 2017

2. Best firewall settings for network access - Windows 10

I am using a SurfacePro 3 with Windows 10. As many others have found the wireless access stability for Windows 10 is pretty fragile. Some advice has suggested this can be made better by adjusting the Firewall rules. I opened the app Windows Firewall with
    Advanced Security. This is a very dense set of options, calling for a lot of knowledge about network access and security.

Does anyone have advice about how to choose optimal settings for public and private networks, and networks accessed through a domain?
    I am concerned that I have reduced security somewhat on public networks because in order to get the network to work at all I had to enable a number of access rules that the default settings set only for private networks.

Domain especially is causing me problems, because I work in 2 research libraries, and think that my network problems (no access, even when the network is recognised and saved) in them may be caused by domain issues. ?When I come home after trying to resolve
    the issues in the libraries, my home network falls over several times before settling down and working properly. To achieve this I need to do many restarts, and network adapter troubleshoots. It's frustrating and unproductive.

MAFoster15, May 10, 2017
  3. Best firewall settings for network access - Windows 10

Hi Ricke,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

From the description, I understand that your device is connected to Domain network.

I suggest you to post your query in the below forums as we have a dedicated team to support of this issue:

Microsoft TechNet Forums

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any further assistance on Windows Operating System. We are happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 10, 2017
  4. M4v3r1ck Win User

ESET Smart Security v10! It's an antivirus and firewall program with some great additional security features. Download the trial and check it out. Recommended!

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, May 10, 2017
  5. antares Win User
    Thanks, I'll try it, I'm looking though for a standalone firewall without AV or any other component, just the 3rd party firewall working with Windows Defender

antares, May 10, 2017
  6. TairikuOkami, May 10, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Easy answer this one

1) YOUR BRAIN

2) Windows Firewall

3) Important as well -- but a resource usually overlooked by nearly 90% of Home computer users -- YOUR ROUTER -- especially the logs as well -- it's much easier to check inbound / outbound requests from the Router logs -- these won't be effected by whatever Viruses / Malware exists on the Windows systems ---some malware will hide Internet access requests on the windows system --the router will just log from the hardware any physical requests whatever Windows does.

Don't forget also you can block ports etc with the router, block specific addresses, limit wifi to specific MACID's (hardware identification of the wifi adapter) etc etc -- really useful stuff and worth learning --it will protect you better than a lot of the more rubbishy third party A/V software designed for consumer use -- also as no A/V product has yet shown itself to be 100% perfect the router logs are the best bet for checking what your system has been doing and if any external logon attempts have been tried.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 10, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

I just use Windows firewall and the one on the router, more than adequate. Any software firewall adds resources and more annoying notices.

swarfega, May 10, 2017
  9. antares Win User
    Thanks everyone, I tried Windows Firewall Control and I liked it, it adds the functionality I was looking for to the built in Windows 10 Firewall, without having to use a 3rd party one. I agree that the router's firewall is the most trustworthy and effective one, but using it for creating custom rules for each process on the go is more time consuming. Anyway, using a software firewall adds an extra layer of security to the router's.

antares, May 11, 2017
  10. Since MS update costantly the OS, the built in firewall it's the best to avoid conflicts.

Pipppero2007, May 12, 2017
  11. prikker Win User
    But when you use a router, turn off the Windows 10 firewall. Use the firewall of your router or you get problems.

prikker, May 12, 2017
  12. most routers have a fire wall built in but i have never seen nor heard of it and the windows 10 firewall having conflicts. that said i use bitdefender total security, cause i refuse to use protection offered by the creator of my os. it just makes sense especially now that if we want any level of privacy in 10 we now have to run 3rd party apps to block and turn off all of microsofts spying features.

ChaChaLaBoom, May 12, 2017
  13. Best firewall for windows 10?

If you have got problems, you probably have a bad router. Hardware + software firewall is the best combo.

But lets not forget, that there are basically 2 kinds of routers: NAT routers and routers with SPI Firewall.

NAT will stop unsolicited traffic/background noise, which causes a higher network adapter's usage.
    SPI Firewall works the same way like a software firewall, it can not be disabled and does not stress CPU.
    Of course, each router has a different SPI, some are basic, some more advanced, but even basic are great.

NAT/SPI explained: Detection VS Prevention, does your firewall have your back? - SecuritySpread

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Best firewall for windows 10? - Similar Threads - Best firewall

2. I WANNA ASK THAT WHICH WINDOWS AND ITS VERSION ARE BEST FOR MY LAPTOP.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I WANNA ASK THAT WHICH WINDOWS AND ITS VERSION ARE BEST FOR MY LAPTOP.: I WANNA ASK THAT WHICH WINDOWS AND ITS VERSION ARE BEST FOR MY LAPTOP.HI I AM A OLD WINDOWS USER BUT MY COMPUTER IS NOT TOO MUCH HIGH TECH , SO MY CURRENT WINDOWS IS GOING WELL IN MY COMPUTER. I ALSO TRIED WINDOWS HACK OR MODIFIED VERSIONS BUT THERE WAS A PROBLEM THAT I...
  3. I WANNA ASK THAT WHICH WINDOWS AND ITS VERSION ARE BEST FOR MY LAPTOP.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I WANNA ASK THAT WHICH WINDOWS AND ITS VERSION ARE BEST FOR MY LAPTOP.: I WANNA ASK THAT WHICH WINDOWS AND ITS VERSION ARE BEST FOR MY LAPTOP.HI I AM A OLD WINDOWS USER BUT MY COMPUTER IS NOT TOO MUCH HIGH TECH , SO MY CURRENT WINDOWS IS GOING WELL IN MY COMPUTER. I ALSO TRIED WINDOWS HACK OR MODIFIED VERSIONS BUT THERE WAS A PROBLEM THAT I...
  4. I WANNA ASK THAT WHICH WINDOWS AND ITS VERSION ARE BEST FOR MY LAPTOP.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. What's the best professional text-to-speech software, and what's the best professional...

What's the best professional text-to-speech software, and what's the best professional...: I want to buy AI text-to-speech software that will read web pages to me and sound natural. What the best one? I also want to buy speech-to-text software so I can type with my voice. What the best one? Ideally it can learn names and new slang also. Currently use PC. Could...
  6. Best window template

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best window template: Windows is full update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-window-template/496f8871-db74-44b9-a285-aff1469479d8
  7. Best window template

Best window template: Windows is full update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-window-template/496f8871-db74-44b9-a285-aff1469479d8
  8. BEST DUPLICATE DOWNLOADS

BEST DUPLICATE DOWNLOADS: WHAT IS THE BEST APP OR SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAD FOR FINDING DUPLICATE FILES AND PHOTOS FOR WINDOWS 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-duplicate-downloads/d88c02c1-57a6-4df7-a444-3ecd1da1a698
  9. Best frontend for Windows 10 firewall?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best frontend for Windows 10 firewall?: I am looking for a frontend to Windows 10 firewall that is more user friendly and gives more user control for outbound and inbound connections and monitoring network traffic history logs. submitted by /u/evolution800 [link] [comments]...
  10. What is the best possible ways to configure Firewall rules settings to make your computer...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is the best possible ways to configure Firewall rules settings to make your computer...: Hi How do I configure my firewall rules settings to make my computer secure. Because there are too many rules from incoming and outgoing and sometimes as a user we do not which to block the rules....