Windows 10: Best Forum for Word 97, Word 2010 Problems?

Discus and support Best Forum for Word 97, Word 2010 Problems? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I'm an old guy in poor health trying to make the transition from Word 97 running under Windows XP to Word 2010 running under Windows 10. (I recently... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by CluelessInSeatl, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Best Forum for Word 97, Word 2010 Problems?

I'm an old guy in poor health trying to make the transition from Word 97 running under Windows XP to Word 2010 running under Windows 10. (I recently bought a refurbished PC running Windows 10 and Word 2010 through a program that provides affordable computers to low income folks like me).

On my old XP PC I had set up Word 97 with an embedded macro to automatically open four files of "to do" lists and the like. I'd like to do the same thing in Word 2010, but can't even figure out how to just manually get Word 2010 to let me open up these four files side by side in a single Word Window like this:

Best Forum for Word 97, Word 2010 Problems? [​IMG]

Since these are both really old versions of Word, I'm wondering if you might know of a forum where I might find some folks who can help me with these outdated programs.

Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

:)

CluelessInSeatl, Oct 6, 2020
  2. jgm1287 Win User

Windows 10 and Word 2010 issue

Hello,
    I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate on my Dell Studio 1749 Laptop. I am currently running Office 2010. My issue is that when I download and try to open protected documents sent as email attachments, Word 2010 will not open them once they download. I have no problem opening documents that are not protect enabled. Any suggestions here? Most of my work documents come as protect enabled Word docs.

Thanks!

jgm1287, Oct 6, 2020
  3. chrish Win User
    How do I set Word 2010 as the default program for word documents?

I originally had Microsoft Word 2010 installed on Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 and purchased Office 365. So I have both Word 2010 and 2016 installed.

I am having issues with compatibility, see How do I get Word 2016 to render text the same way that World 2010 did.

In the meantime, I would like to set the default app for .doc and .docx to be Word 2010. I have done this in previous versions of Windows but can't see to get it work in Windows 10 (they have really dumbed it down). Here is what I have tried:

Use Right-click

1. Right-click on a .doc file and select "Open With"
    2. A dialog display with "How do you want to open this file?" Word 2016 is an option. Other options include "Look for an app in the Store" and "More apps". There is also an option for "Always use this app to open .doc files.
    3. I click on More apps/ Word 2010 is not one of the options! But Wordpad is. The last option in the list is "Look for another app on this PC"
    4. I click the "Always use this app to open .doc files" and click on "Look for another app on this PC"
    5. I find Word 2010 on the file system. However, Word 2016 is launched!!!

I also tried several options in "Default Programs" settings. Anytime I tried to select Word 2010, it would continue to use Word 2016.

chrish, Oct 6, 2020
  4. Best Forum for Word 97, Word 2010 Problems?

Unable to use Word 2010. Why?

Hi Regina,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. Don’t worry. We will assist to resolve this issue.

• Is the issue specific to this application?
    • Are you able to open any other Word files in any other location like Desktop?
    • What happens when you try to open word docs? Does you get any error?

If the issue is only with word, I would suggest you to post in Office forums

Word Forum

Reply with the necessary information to troubleshoot your issue better.

Ravindra Kamath, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

Best Forum for Word 97, Word 2010 Problems?

1. Best Forum for Word 97, Word 2010 Problems? - Similar Threads - Best Forum Word

2. Word 2010

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word 2010: Word 2010 only prints in black. How do I get it to work as before with colors too? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-2010/8a9d6c5a-e526-4942-9159-3ec6d6d0e45f
  3. 2010 word

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2010 word: I am writing a personal accounts story of my life for family when I pass. I have placed it on thumb drives for each individual…all in all works fairly well. The problem I have, I am using word 2010, when I hit the review tab and choose final…so all formatting is hidden, I...
  4. Running Microsoft word 2010 alongside Word 2016

Running Microsoft word 2010 alongside Word 2016: Hi All, We have an application that is currently running Windows 7, 32 bit office install. The application needs upgrading to Windows 10, and will therefore have a 64 bit install of office2016. We have been told by the application vendor, that they have clients who are...
  5. MS Word 97 migration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MS Word 97 migration: On my (very) old XP I have MS Word 97 with which I get on very well. Its simplicity of use and compatibility with my pc compared to newer versions of Word which seem to take up a lot of my time when all I want to do is write, appeals to me. It was installed with my XP at...
  6. Reinstalling "bad" word 2010.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling "bad" word 2010.: I have word 2010 installed on my computer. It was installed on my HP Pavillion when I purchased the computer. I have the product key. Can I get another copy to reinstall since the original stopped working....
  7. In Word 2010 document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    In Word 2010 document: In Word 2010 I hit control A and then Control V instead of Control C and cannot find document https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-word-2010-document/e9ec74b1-ceb4-4660-ab7b-9e4722982eee"
  8. Word Starter 2010

Word Starter 2010: I could not repair my Word Starter in Control Panel so I deleted it believing I could reinstall. Apparently not. What can I do /install so I can open and edit documents https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-starter-2010/dad4273b-c382-4951-aa28-b122d15d374d
  9. Microsoft word 2010

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft word 2010: I ran a fix me stick in my computer! Loosed my internet Explorer and my Microsoft word 2010 and my HP printer I got back my Explorer by redown loading now how do I get back my Microsoft word? If I reinstall it will I loose all of my things on it? Also How do I do it? Rich.K...
  10. Word 2010 bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Word 2010 bug: For the most part 10 has worked flawlessy on my Toshiba laptop. I had a weird issue with Firefox eating up tons of CPU power and slowing the system down, but I updated to v.40 beta and that's gone. I do still have an issue with Word 2010. Whenever I try to work on the...