Windows 10: Best free (preferably open source) type 1 hypervisor

Discus and support Best free (preferably open source) type 1 hypervisor in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I'm planning to repurpose my old PC (AMD Athlon FX-8350, 32 GB of RAM, Geforce GTX 770) as a server. For the fileserver part my intention is to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by altae, Dec 29, 2019.

1. altae Win User

Best free (preferably open source) type 1 hypervisor

I'm planning to repurpose my old PC (AMD Athlon FX-8350, 32 GB of RAM, Geforce GTX 770) as a server. For the fileserver part my intention is to use FreeNAS. But since the machine would be fairly overpowered for that use case I thought of using a type 1 hypervisor which would leave me all options open for further use. I know the gold standard would be vSphere by VMWare but despite the fact that cheap licenses can be purchased on ebay and there is even a basic free version called vSphere Hypervisor I'd gladly go for something more open, preferably even open source and free. I know of KVM but the pure command line administration is not really my preferred user interface. Any other solutions? Maybe something you can recommend because you have used it yourself?

P.S. It's not that I cannot live with a command line interface, it's just that I prefer a decent GUI, it makes administration so much more comfortable.

:)

altae, Dec 29, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Hypervisor Type 1 and Type 2

Have you ever wondered what the difference between a type 1 and type 2 hypervisor is. This drawing shows the principle

Best free (preferably open source) type 1 hypervisor [​IMG]

Type 1 Hypervisors sit between the hardware and your virtual machines AND your Host OS.

In effect, your Host OS is turned into a virtual machine as well. Each Guest OS has direct access to the native hardware via interface built into the Hypervisor.

Type 2 Hypervisors sit between your virtual machines AND your Host OS.

The Guest OSs do not have direct access to Host hardware, and use emulated drivers.

There are pluses and minuses with each type:

In the domestic consumer market, the three main players are type 1 - Hyper-V (not for Home users), and type 2 (work with Home) - virtualbox (free version), VMware workstation (free version)

Hyper-V is really more geared to Windows virtual machines but will run alternative OSs but sound is typically not available. Biggest minus is it is not available to Home users.

VirtualBox and VMWare have more flexibility, but require more maintenance, particularly when a build upgrade = occasionally a build upgrade "breaks" the type 2 hypervisor.

Personally, I use Hyper-V as I use it for Insider builds, and my personal experience is it performs better than the type 2 alternatives, and less maintenance overhead. However, not so good for Linux etc.

Nobody can say one is better than the other - it really depends on what you are doing.

Note: Windows does not allow the two hypervisor types to coexist Fortunately, it is quite easy to create two boot entries - one which will start the type 1 Hyper-V hypervisor, and one which will suppress it starting so type 2 can be used instead.

I have no idea if you can run two type 1 hypervisors simultaneously but I suspect not?

cereberus, Dec 29, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User

You are confusing the hypervisor with Hyper-V.

The hypervisor in type 1 sits under Windows (making windows a vm in effect).

Hyper-v is merely a program that sets up a vm guest. There are others Exsi etc.

They all use the same hypervisor.t is merely convenience to use the windows gui to set up other type 1vms e.g. a hyper-v vm.

cereberus, Dec 29, 2019
  4. Best free (preferably open source) type 1 hypervisor

So a type 1 hypervisor requires a host OS. The computer will boot into the host operating system automatically. The guest operating systems can be configured to be running or not by turning them on or off once you are booted into the host OS.
    Is my understanding correct? I'm trying to figure out why Hyper-V is a type 1 hypervisor, but boots into my W10 just as it did before enabling it.

Will I see a performance decrease in any way by running games now that I have hyper-V enabled?

chrislw324, Dec 29, 2019
Thema:

Best free (preferably open source) type 1 hypervisor

1. Best free (preferably open source) type 1 hypervisor - Similar Threads - Best free preferably

2. Best Open Source App to Queue Copy folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Open Source App to Queue Copy folders: Hi All, What is the easiest to use Win10 app for copying a lot of folders to various other target folders in an automatic way without I having to babysit the copy process? In short, I just want to be able to queue up all of the correct target folders I want the data copied to...
  3. Best Open Source App to Queue Copy folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Open Source App to Queue Copy folders: Hi All, What is the easiest to use Win10 app for copying a lot of folders to various other target folders in an automatic way without I having to babysit the copy process? In short, I just want to be able to queue up all of the correct target folders I want the data copied to...
  4. Best free and open source software available for Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best free and open source software available for Windows 10!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TechHutTV [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m96wz2/best_free_and_open_source_software_available_for/
  5. Best (preferably free) way to install multiple software silently

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best (preferably free) way to install multiple software silently: Hello, I work helpdesk, do hardware maintenance, and oversee installing the CAD/Revit and other miscellaneous software on our new and old PCs. We are a small copany of under forty, so HDD cloning is off the table as we get three-ish PCs a year and they tend to be different...
  6. How safe is windows againt viruses? And what’s the best (preferably free) antivirus?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How safe is windows againt viruses? And what’s the best (preferably free) antivirus?: My dad won’t let me build a pc until I prove that windows is safe (he’s a big apple fan) so I really need some help submitted by /u/Airsoftalpha [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k2okl8/how_safe_is_windows_againt_viruses_and_whats_the/
  7. Charging for Free open Source in the Windows Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Charging for Free open Source in the Windows Store: Gimp 2.10 is free , Blue Fish editor is free, as is Clementine Player yet I am seeing. these apps. pop up in the windows store for 10$ and up. Free and open source programs should remain just that. Free and open source . Ain't no glory in just repacking another devs app...
  8. Hypervisor Type 1 and Type 2

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hypervisor Type 1 and Type 2: Have you ever wondered what the difference between a type 1 and type 2 hypervisor is. This drawing shows the principle [img] Type 1 Hypervisors sit between the hardware and your virtual machines AND your Host OS. In effect, your Host OS is turned into a virtual machine...
  9. Best Open Source E-mail Client for 2018?

in Browsers and Email
    Best Open Source E-mail Client for 2018?: Hi, it's January 2018 and I just did my annual reformat, and I'm a bit out of touch with the open source apps at the moment. So to get right down to it, what are the new "best" open source email clients? I'm looking for something that looks good, not too cluttered, not too...
  10. Best free typing tutor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best free typing tutor?: It's been well over a decade since I use to do data entry and 10-key. Due to health reasons, I can no longer do any standing, or lifting jobs so I need to brush up on my typing skills. In an attempt to get my speed up I've downloaded a few typing programs from the Microsoft...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. type1 hypervisor opensource

2. does my pc support type 1 hypervisor