Windows 10: Best method for write-blocking *specific USB drives* in Windows 10, while permitting others?

Discus and support Best method for write-blocking *specific USB drives* in Windows 10, while permitting others? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is there any good, approved, reliable method in Windows 10, to do this?: - USB drive A is writable - USB drive B is write-blocked I used to do this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by siphonsiphon, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Best method for write-blocking *specific USB drives* in Windows 10, while permitting others?

Is there any good, approved, reliable method in Windows 10, to do this?:

- USB drive A is writable

- USB drive B is write-blocked

I used to do this in Windows 7 with a registry key while doing backups. But I haven't yet figured out how to do it in Windows 10.

DETAILS...

I asked this question recently and got a good answer:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-method-for-usb-write-blocking-on-windows-10/e97e8e3b-15da-4751-bcdc-3c9fac85a506
    Best method for USB write blocking on Windows 10? StorageDevicePolicies/WriteProtect no longer works as in Windows 7

However, I'm still not sure I have a good answer to my specific situation.

What I used to do in Windows 7, is have one USB drive write-blocked and another USB drive writable. This allowed me to feel confident I wouldn't mess up anything on the source drive (write blocked), while backing its contents up to the destination drive (not write blocked).

My strategy was to use the registry key StorageDevicePolicies/WriteProtect. I'd turn this off while mounting one drive, then turn it on while mounting the one I wanted blocked. As long as the machine didn't hibernate or otherwise cause the drives to disconnect or reconnect, the one drive would be read-only and the other writable. This was great. But in Windows 10 it seemed like this didn't "take" until reboot (and sometimes even then didn't "take".) But by the time I've rebooted, *all* disks are going to be under the new policy and I didn't want that.

There seem to be at least three major ways of write blocking I've seen in Windows 10:

StorageDevicePolicies/WriteProtect registry key

USBSTOR registry key

Local Group Policy Editor > Removable Disks: Deny read access

Is one of these particularly suited to my specific use-- wanting some devices write blocked and others not?

Specifically: Are any of these intended to become active immediately, but still allow already-connected drives to be in whatever state (blocked or not) they're already in?

Or, is there any better strategy for doing what I'm trying to do-- have some USB drives blocked and others not blocked, while doing backups?

Thank you!

:)

siphonsiphon, Jul 21, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

Installing Windows Vista/7 Via flash drive (Mussels Method)

Thread updated with a newer method that allows multiple windows OS's on the one USB. nice little windows GUI, but a few more steps than the old method.

This method supports XP.

Mussels, Jul 21, 2019
  3. Agility Win User
    Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Jul 21, 2019
  4. Best method for write-blocking *specific USB drives* in Windows 10, while permitting others?

Can users burn files from a write-blocked external hard drive to CD/DVD/Blu-ray?

Hello,

I have a hardware write blocker, which write blocks hard drives. Will it carry its write-blocking attributes if users can burn files from a write-blocked external hard drive?

So far, from write-blocked USB drives, it does not permit to perform the same tasks.

JohnPallino, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

Best method for write-blocking *specific USB drives* in Windows 10, while permitting others?

1. Best method for write-blocking *specific USB drives* in Windows 10, while permitting others? - Similar Threads - Best method write

2. Windows 10 - How to un-write-protect USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - How to un-write-protect USB drive: My usb flash suddenly decided it is "write protected". How do I reverse this so I can work with the files on the usb?I found a similar question posted under Windows 7 with a response as follows:1.Did you try testing the same device on different computer? Yes only this...
  3. Write Protect USB Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Write Protect USB Drive: I need to make some data easily transferable and *tinker proof*. I have a set of 20 GB mostly PDF other Documents. Therefore I would like to put this data on a USB stick and afterward block anyone from editing selected parts. What can I do and how? submitted by...
  4. Resetting C (Windows 10) Drive, best method & will windows 10 be preserved?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Resetting C (Windows 10) Drive, best method & will windows 10 be preserved?: So I've gotten a couple answers, but I'm wanting to hop on reddit just to make triple sure. I plan on completely wiping/resetting my C drive (which is where windows is installed). Deleting every file, resetting every setting, essentially making it like brand new. The C...
  5. Will not write to USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will not write to USB drive: My Windows 10 OS has decided it does not like USB flash drives any more. It knows one is plugged in, there is a bleep when it's plugged in, File Manager shows it as "USB Drive H:", Device Manager shows it as a mass storage device and it is present as a hidden icon on the...
  6. Can you write-block a specific USB drive in Windows 10 (and not block others)?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can you write-block a specific USB drive in Windows 10 (and not block others)?: Is there any method in Windows 10, to protect one USB drive or SD card from accidental writing (make it read only), while allowing writing to other USB drives or SD cards? I used to do this with registry keys in Windows 7 while running backups: - USB drive A (destination...
  7. Best method for USB write blocking on Windows 10? StorageDevicePolicies/WriteProtect no...

Best method for USB write blocking on Windows 10? StorageDevicePolicies/WriteProtect no...: One thing I do in Windows 7 all the time, is turn USB write blocking on and off. I do this with a shell command that sets this registry toggle on and off: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies\WriteProtect As I understand it, this is...
  8. USB Flash drive is write-protected

USB Flash drive is write-protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write-protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write-protected" error, please? Thanks in advance! Tanzil ***...
  9. Best method to wipe an ssd drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best method to wipe an ssd drive?: Any tips? I've used secure erase in parted magic (the option for enhanced secure erase was blanked out) but then read somewhere that there is no secure way to wipe an ssd? Planning to reinstall and then sell the machine on. It's only a small 80gb drive and not new to me or...
  10. cannot write on USB hard drive

cannot write on USB hard drive: hello my problem is kinda strange and very annoying this problem started a month ago when i try to access , copy or read data from my HDD there is no problem at all but when i try to copy or move new data to my External hard drive copying speed drops from 30-60 Mb/s to...