Windows 10: Best method to wipe an ssd drive?

Discus and support Best method to wipe an ssd drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Any tips? I've used secure erase in parted magic (the option for enhanced secure erase was blanked out) but then read somewhere that there is no secure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Hazel123, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Hazel123 Win User

Best method to wipe an ssd drive?

Any tips? I've used secure erase in parted magic (the option for enhanced secure erase was blanked out) but then read somewhere that there is no secure way to wipe an ssd? Planning to reinstall and then sell the machine on. It's only a small 80gb drive and not new to me or I'd swap it for something but the machine would be too slow without it.

I am also confused. Secure erase says it writes 0s to the drive. Standard wiping writes 0s to the drive! I thought secure erase was something other than wiping 0s to the drive!

:)

Hazel123, Oct 2, 2018
  2. little cat, Oct 2, 2018
  3. mrje1 Win User
    Wiping my Windows 10 pro PC.What Method should I use to wipe-Reinstall

Thank you spapakons. Doing this way you suggest will this method clean out completely like the department of defense DoD Short or something in that range? Also, is this method you suggest be safe enough or wipe out the drive enough to just give the computer away etc?

Thank you!

mrje1, Oct 2, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Oct 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Best method to wipe an ssd drive? - Similar Threads - Best method wipe

2. How to wipe ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to wipe ssd: Hey , so i have a odd problem. Mobo: asus rog strix x570i 1-ssd m.2- OS 1-ssd 2.5 sata 1-ssd m.2 I have another identical m.2 nvme that was the boot drive from another computer, but id like to wipe it and use it as a secondary drive. My problem is that every time i put it...
  3. Best way to wipe laptop drive except Windows

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best way to wipe laptop drive except Windows: A friend has asked me to wipe his laptop drive except for Windows 10 as the drive is a mess and the laptop is very slow. Which is the best way to achieve this? 172522
  4. wipe ssd?

wipe ssd?: I like to reinstall windows every now and then to make it fresh again, a few months ago I bought the Western Digital SN750 NVMe M.2 SSD. When I tried to wipe it using the bootable usb thumb drive I created in the WD Dashboard non of the operations worked (sanitize, format and...
  5. Wiping SSD

Wiping SSD: My computer's not working right now, so I'm planning on wiping my ssd can fresh installing windows 10, if I were to wipe it, would I be able to use the same windows product key again? submitted by /u/JEEL13 [link] [comments]...
  6. Best/Quickest method of transferring files.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best/Quickest method of transferring files.: Good afternoon, My Brother-In-Law has several external HDD's which he wants to organise. He wants to copy folders, and sub-folders from one location [F: for example] to another location [G: for example]. Would it be quicker to do this using the CMD prompt in Safe Mode...
  7. Complete Hard Drive Wipe (SSD)

Complete Hard Drive Wipe (SSD): Hey guys, There's a whole bunch of junk on my system, plus some sensitive files that I no longer need, so I figured I should just do a complete hard drive wipe with something like DBAN. Some sources on the internet say that wiping an SSD is different than HDD, and that you...
  8. Best Wiping & Installing Win10 Method for HP Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best Wiping & Installing Win10 Method for HP Laptop: Hello Everyone and good day to you!!!! I see some articles out there here, but not sure if it answers what I am looking for. I just bought an HP laptop that I want to wipe completely clean with no software etc. installed and then reinstall from an ISO DVD I created with the...
  9. SSD wiped itself

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD wiped itself: Hoping I put this in the correct topic. I have a Asus X450JF running win 10 pro, with a Crucial BX200 SSD. Last night I went to try and get on it, and it booted straight to the bios, after t/s found it still recognized the SSD however it has been wiped, like if I have...
  10. Best Method For Installing the Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best Method For Installing the Anniversary Update?: I've finally decided to install the Anniversary Update on my desktop PC after being wary of the missing drives / RAW format problems reported on this forum - although I've seen no recent reports of problems. What's the best update method - just let Windows automatically...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. best free ssd wiping software 2019

2. ssd wipe procedure

3. will wiping a ssd damage the drive