Windows 10: Best option- A new Lenovo s145 or a or a Thinkpad 430 with WIN10?

Discus and support Best option- A new Lenovo s145 or a or a Thinkpad 430 with WIN10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This message may skirt the validity of "General Support" however since the subject matter includes evaluating the relative usefulness of a machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nedly1, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Nedly1 Win User

Best option- A new Lenovo s145 or a or a Thinkpad 430 with WIN10?

This message may skirt the validity of "General Support" however since the subject matter includes evaluating the relative usefulness of a machine upgraded to Windows 10 I believe it passes. Please refer to the attached png regarding the following post. There are a lot of beautiful Thinkpads out there and unfortunately I cannot afford a new one. As a result I am considering the new budget Ideapad s145. It looks like a nice computer but is it a better deal than an excellent older Thinkpad such as a T430 for the same price? (At least for my purposes). I am not a gamer and the most complicated graphics that I use are stock charts. Am not concerned about super high quality images when watching movie CD's. I am on a budget and the two similarly priced computers in the attachment have caught my attention. Is obsolescence a concern for the T430?

Is one of these computers a definitively better choice than the other?

Finally if one were to purchase a refurbished Thinkpad for say under $300 is the T430 the most optimal choice?

Thank you for any insights.

:)

Nedly1, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Nedly1 Win User

This message may skirt the validity of "General Support" however since the subject matter includes evaluating the relative usefulness of a machine upgraded to Windows 10 I believe it passes. Please refer to the attached png regarding the following post. There are a lot of beautiful Thinkpads out there and unfortunately I cannot afford a new one. As a result I am considering the new budget Ideapad s145. It looks like a nice computer but is it a better deal than an excellent older Thinkpad such as a T430 for the same price? (At least for my purposes). I am not a gamer and the most complicated graphics that I use are stock charts. Am not concerned about super high quality images when watching movie CD's. I am on a budget and the two similarly priced computers in the attachment have caught my attention. Is obsolescence a concern for the T430?

Is one of these computers a definitively better choice than the other?

Finally if one were to purchase a refurbished Thinkpad for say under $300 is the T430 the most optimal choice?

Thank you for any insights.

Nedly1, Sep 24, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User

Hi, as no replies, I bought a t440s a year or so ago 2nd hand for about £200 - you can see the specs.
    i5, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb, SSD Win 10 Pro, 1280x720 screen.

Small internal battery, massive removable one.

I got it simply for travelling - without the large battery- but use it regularly.

Keyboard is good, not fond of the odd touchpad- the whole thing moves up and down.

Screen- good enough- can get higher res.

Pro is a bonus as it gives control of updates.

Supported for Win 10- Lenovo System update utility is good.

I wouldn't go for a HDD if you have the option of a SSD.

Against that the t430 is dated, but does have x64 Win 10 drivers.

Of course, a 15.6" screen is better if you're not travelling around so much.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2019
  4. malware Win User

Lenovo Recalls 208,000 ThinkPad Batteries

On March 1, 2007, Lenovo voluntarily recalled certain 208,000 9-cell lithium-ion batteries. These batteries were manufactured for use with ThinkPad notebook computers that shipped worldwide between November 2005 and February 2007. All ThinkPad R60, R60e Series, ThinkPad T60, T60p Series and ThinkPad Z60m, Z61e, Z61m, and Z61p Series with 9-cell 10.8V, 5.2 Ah batteries with part number FRU P/N 92P1131 are being recalled. All affected batteries will be replaced free of charge. Lenovo suggests those computers with defective units remove the battery and use the AC adaptor until a replacement has arrived.

Source: Lenovo

malware, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Best option- A new Lenovo s145 or a or a Thinkpad 430 with WIN10? - Similar Threads - Best option Lenovo

2. Frequent BSOD's on Lenovo Ideapad S145

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent BSOD's on Lenovo Ideapad S145: Hello,I have a Lenovo Ideapad S145 notebook Intel Core i5-8265U/8GB RAM/nVidia GeForce MX110 with Windows 10 Pro installed that very frequently crashes to BSOD's which has been extremely frustrating as it happens when I'm doing important work, when attending virtual meetings...
  3. BSOD's on Lenovo Ideapad S145

BSOD's on Lenovo Ideapad S145: As of the last few months, my Lenovo Ideapad S145 notebook, is having frequent BSOD crashs out of nowhere, but it seems to occur mostly when I'm in online meetings Google Meet and Zoom or navigating the web. I guess I need some crashes report, but I don't know how to retrieve...
  4. Lenovo S145-15IWL.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lenovo S145-15IWL.: My system has been malfunctioning. So many issues like Microsoft word typing abnormally, freezing and hanging, restarting after shutting down, video player suddenly become mute and slows the speech, search key and keyboard abnormality, sleep/hibernating always whenever it is...
  5. Lenovo IdeaPad S145 Screen Brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lenovo IdeaPad S145 Screen Brightness: My Lenovo IdeaPad S145 changes brightness when I move from one window to another or while playing videos. It doesnt even have adaptive brightness. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-ideapad-s145-screen-brightness/aadc2ddc-1888-4cbb-8dd1-e110c40c3f0a
  6. Lenovo s145 precision driver Elan.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lenovo s145 precision driver Elan.: I got lenovo s145 laptop with ryzen7. Touchpad shows as HID\VEN_ELAN&DEV_0632&Col01 Please add support to that touchpad. Thats why I dont use Windows. It just works perfectly under linux libinput+ wayland I can use 4 finger gesture etc like butter smooth animation. But...
  7. Lenovo IdeaPad S145

Lenovo IdeaPad S145: How do I disable gestures on touchpad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-ideapad-s145/fa9c849e-e92d-46ad-bf44-2d9f58653c0e
  8. Lenovo idealpad S145

Lenovo idealpad S145: Hi, I was transfering my photos and videos in lenovo laptop from my i phone through USB. But due to some reason, i removed usb from my phone and now my laptop is stucked. There is a dark blue screen and only curser is only appear on the screen. I am not able to do any thing....
  9. scrolling issues Lenovo S145 series

scrolling issues Lenovo S145 series: I just got this laptop with Win 10 and cannot figure out how to scroll without using that darn side bar. Can anyone help me please? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scrolling-issues-lenovo-s145-series/7cf8fd88-4989-435f-a4fc-1b294bcab16c
  10. New Lenovo ThinkPad P1 mobile workstation

in Windows 10 News
    New Lenovo ThinkPad P1 mobile workstation: Lenovo has launched a brand-new addition to its ThinkPad mobile workstation portfolio—the ThinkPad P1. Lenovo’s thinnest, lightest, and sleekest mobile workstation, the ThinkPad P1 gives users the style they want and the performance they need. [ATTACH] No company better...