Windows 10: Best place to buy Windows from?

Discus and support Best place to buy Windows from? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since we are talking keys... I used ShowKeyPlus yesterday. Worked like a charm. Could I ask what is the difference between the "Installed Key" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ValiantSaint, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Best place to buy Windows from?

Since we are talking keys... I used ShowKeyPlus yesterday. Worked like a charm.

Could I ask what is the difference between the "Installed Key" and the "OEM"?

If you were re-installing Win 7 and it asked for key which would you use?

Thanks.

Caledon Ken, Jun 30, 2017
  2. TrustMe Win User

For Windows 7 the OEM key is the one used by the big computer manufacturers like Dell, HP, Toshiba, and others. Each manufacturer has it's own unique Windows 7 product key. They have one for Windows 7 Home and a different one for Pro and Ultimate. Ever computer Dell sells with Windows 7 Home has the same product key. A OEM key is not transferable to another computer. If the motherboard dies, the windows key dies with it.

Now if you go out and buy a RETAIL copy of Windows 7 Home or Professional, that license is transferable to another computer. If your motherboard fails, you can build a new computer and use the retail license on the new computer. The thing is you can not have that license on more than one computer at a time.

This changed with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10. Each computer Dell. HP, and the others sell has its own unique Windows key that is stored in the BIOS. If you bought a Dell with Windows 10 Home it would have a oem license. If you wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and you went out and bought a retail copy and installed that, ShowKeyPlus would show you have a OEM Windows 10 key stored in the BIOS. It will also show you the Windows 10 Pro retail key you purchased.

The retail key would be the "installed" key Win 10 Pro and the "OEM" key would be the one in the BIOS Win 10 Home.

If you want to reinstall Windows 7 you have to use the key on the sticker. The sticker can be on the bottom of a laptop or sometimes in the battery compartment. On a desktop computer the sticker can be on the side or the back. This key is also a OEM key but it is different than the manufacturer's OEM key. You cannot transfer the OEM sticker key to a different computer. The key on the sticker is the one you use if you want to reinstall Windows.

TrustMe, Jul 1, 2017
  3. So if you try and use either key that's listed by the program, you still wouldn't be able to reinstall Windows with them, and you must use only the sticker on the bottom?

ValiantSaint, Jul 1, 2017
  4. TrustMe Win User

Best place to buy Windows from?

If you want to reinstall Windows 7 you have to use the key on the sticker. You can not use the manufacturers OEM key. It will not activate.

I just want to let you know that you can also buy a Windows 7 OEM License or key. They are popular by people who build their own computers and by your local computer shops who build and sell computers. The OEM license (key) is cheaper than RETAIL license (key) because they are not transferable. If you built your own computer and bought a Windows OEM license you can use that key to reinstall Windows but only on that computer.

If you want to reinstall Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 you CAN use either key listed by ShowKeyPlus. In the example I gave above, the installed key would be Windows 10 Pro and the OEM key would be Windows 10 Home.

The reason Windows 7 is different is because Dell or HP use their own unique key on every computer they sell. Each computer that HP sold with Windows 7 Home has the same.

Every computer that HP sold with Windows 8, 8.1, 10 has a different key (stored in the BIOS). That's why you can use it to reinstall Windows.

TrustMe, Jul 1, 2017
  5. In my case I don't have sticker. This was a Win 8 downgraded to 7, it has the installed key and OEM key. Checked battery compartment. So it sounds like the install key is the key to use as a mere mortal can't use OEM key.

Thanks.

Caledon Ken, Jul 1, 2017
  6. On the topic of OEM operating systems, can I buy and install one on a pre-bought machine? (such as the HP laptop I'm trying save at the moment?) or is that a bit of a gray area?

ValiantSaint, Jul 1, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Device Partner Center

If you are building a system for your personal use or installing an additional operating system in a virtual machine, you will need to purchase a full version of Windows 10, available in FPP. Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 system builder software does not permit personal use, and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users.*

NavyLCDR, Jul 1, 2017
  8. zbook New Member
  9. TrustMe Win User
    Your case can be a little tricky. If your copy of Windows 7 has a retail license, then by all means go ahead and reinstall Windows. If you have trouble activating, you can always call Microsoft for help. If your copy of Windows 7 has a OEM license, you might have trouble activating it. I would hold off until someone with more expertise can advise you. Hopefully Superfly sees this and gives his advice.

If you would like to install Windows 8.1 that would not be a problem. Windows will read the key in the BIOS and activate by itself.

Here is a guide to determine if your copy of Windows 7 is Retail or OEM.

License Information for Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums

TrustMe, Jul 1, 2017
  10. Superfly Win User
    It depends which edition the installed key is for...

If that PC was a downgrade, then you most likely have an OEM:COA key installed (assume it can be retrieved from a backup?) which can be used to activate either Win 7 or Win 10 of that edition on that PC.

So too, the Win 8 OEM key... it will be automatically installed with that version of Win 10 and activate online.

PS: However, as @TrustMe correctly pointed out, if the Win 7 key is OEM:SLP, Windows 7 must be restored from recovery and cannot be clean installed from vanilla media.

Superfly, Jul 1, 2017
  11. Thanks. Should not have hijacked this thread but thanks for responses. Not sure about going to backup for key. Win 7 is running and showkeyplus gave all the keys. All in all its really a silly situation. Lenovo's recovery process failed and checking their site there are some similar occurrences. To get disks it $55.00 CDN.

I wanted to understand things better in terms of keys for my own knowledge. I think I have client convinced to try Windows 10 and it will find what it needs.

Again my apologies for hijacking thread.

Now back to the needs of the OP.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 1, 2017
  12. pparks1 Win User
    Remember, that resellers are simply reselling Microsoft licenses. You license the product from Microsoft, and agree to their end user license agreement to use the software.

License prices are pretty much fixed, and don't fluctuate much. WIndows 10 Home Retail should be around $119 and Windows 10 Pro should be around $199. You might find a deal for $10 or so less, but generally speaking it should be right around that price.

For example, here is a link to a place claiming to have Windows 10 Pro for $49.99 (July Deal - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 1 PC License Download MS OFFICE WORKS). You can bet that this license isn't legit. It might work for awhile, it might work forever, it might only work for 1 month. But I wouldn't want to be out $50 on something that could stop working any second.

pparks1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Best place to buy Windows from?

1. Best place to buy Windows from? - Similar Threads - Best place buy

2. Best Places To Buy Windows 10 Keys (Windows 11 Included)- Microsoft key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best Places To Buy Windows 10 Keys (Windows 11 Included)- Microsoft key: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/JauntyAttacker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/15titgy/best_places_to_buy_windows_10_keys_windows_11/
  3. Best place to buy WORD ?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Best place to buy WORD ?: Hi Guys I have open office, tried Libre but must confess, although its been years, I think Word is my preference, but have stayed away because of price. On net last week, I saw the Word program advertised as Home & Student around 20, but I thought that seems too cheap to be...
  4. Best place to buy windows 10 pro key?

Best place to buy windows 10 pro key?: Hi, I used to have windows 10 pro on my dell laptop however it is now not recognising it after a reinstall of windows. I have tried Dell os recovery tool but it says “image currently unavailable” Where is the best place to buy a windows 10 pro key for a cheaper price that is...
  5. Best place to buy W10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Best place to buy W10?: Hi :) I am looking to buy a W10 OEM license for a machine I am building. Recommendations for an online legitimate retailer? Thanks in advance. 163014
  6. Refund of Windows 10 purchased from Best Buy

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Refund of Windows 10 purchased from Best Buy: I purchased Windows 10 Home from Best Buy. After getting it home not opening the package and reading on how to upgrade from Windows XP, I decided to instead purchase a new computer that has Windows 10 already installed. When I called Best Buy to request how to return the...
  7. Best place to buy an OEM key?

Best place to buy an OEM key?: I'm looking to install Windows 10 through Bootcamp on my 2018 Macbook Air but I don't want to pay a lot as I'll just be using it for a couple of things. Where would be the safest/most reliable place to purchase a cheap OEM key? (Also, is it still possible to get cheap keys...
  8. Windows 10 Pro from Best Buy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro from Best Buy: I bought Windows 10 Pro from Best Buy on USB. This read-only USB came with v1809 already included. Why does this USB stick include install.swm and install2.swm instead of install.wim for the 64-bit version? The 32-bit version has install.wim. The last modified date of the...
  9. Best place to buy a Windows 10 key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best place to buy a Windows 10 key?: I’m installing Windows 10 on a new PC and I can’t find a place that sells the keys and has good reviews. Amazon seems like the best place so far. I already have Windows on a bootable USB, and just need a place to buy a key....
  10. DEVICE CALLED PASSWORD FROM BEST BUY

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DEVICE CALLED PASSWORD FROM BEST BUY: FEB 7 2019 THURS. HOW DO I COPY DOC. AND DOC FOLDERS! AFTER COPYING HOW DO I KNOW FOLDERS AND DOCS. ARE SAVED? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-called-password-from-best-buy/294dc240-e03b-4b2e-ade1-869222c1d4be"