Windows 10: Best practice to install Office 365 Personal on dual drive pc

Discus and support Best practice to install Office 365 Personal on dual drive pc in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Future scenario is that my friend is purchasing a Dell Inspiron 3368 desktop with Intel® Core™ i7-7700 processor, 8GB DDR4 2400MHz memory, 1 x 128GB... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by scopio, Apr 2, 2018.

1. scopio Win User

Best practice to install Office 365 Personal on dual drive pc

Future scenario is that my friend is purchasing a Dell Inspiron 3368 desktop with Intel® Core™ i7-7700 processor, 8GB DDR4 2400MHz memory, 1 x 128GB SSD+ 1x 1TB GB 7.2k HDD and Windows 10 Home 64bit which is sufficient for a small office.
    The pc comes with Microsoft® Office 30 Day Trial - Excludes Office License which is probably installed on the C: drive we most probably uninstall the trial version and install a new version of Microsoft® Office 365 Personal. The main applications that will be used are Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.
    We intend to have/move the following folders to the HDD; Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favourites, Links, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos
    The concern is that Office is installed on the SSD then Outlook will then store all emails, and other data on the C: drive too and as Outlook will contain 100s of emails some with large attachments this would soon fill up the SSD.
    Saving space on the SSD would be preferable to speed!
    So to my questions;
    Would it be preferable to install Office on the HDD so that Outlook stores emails etc. on the HDD?
    I have read that having Outlook installed on the SSD and emails on another drive, for example the HDD Outlook does not like it and has performance issues.
    I intend to create a Programs File and Programs File (86) on the HDD to install all other applications on the HDD.
    Your views and suggestions would be most appreciated.

:)

scopio, Apr 2, 2018
  2. Viktorija L., Apr 2, 2018
  3. Windows 365 install on a new hard drive on the same computer?

Did you mean Office 365 as there is no Windows 365? If you meant Office 365, you can install only one C driver as installation will not give you the flexibility to choose this. This restriction is for Click to Run installations (retail versions have this,
    most likely you will have retail). In MSI (volume licensing) you have this flexibility to install on different drive.

People have claimed to found ways to install C2R versions of MS Office on different drives but the routes are dangerous and should be handled by a person well versed. Look into few answers here

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/...

E for Excel, Apr 2, 2018
  4. Best practice to install Office 365 Personal on dual drive pc

Hi scopio

Not sure it is going to matter. Your User directory will be on c: and Outlook will use the required folders down the appdata path.

You have to move the .ost file and or .pst file to HDD. Lots of how to articles out there. There is even this one if the .ost won't move.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...ta-file-ost-in

I located my .pst on a drive that is different than my program drive (ssd). If it takes a split second longer to open a stored email I don't see it. I left my .ost files down the appdata path.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 2, 2018
  5. spunk Win User
    The Outlook Data file which has all Email, Contacts, Calendars etc resides in the Documents folder. If after installing Office, you move the Documents folder to the Data HDD then you will also move the Outlook Data File to the HDD so Outlook will not save to the C: SSD drive. In addition, you can add or change the location of your Data file by opening Outlook, go to File/Account Settings/Data File

spunk, Apr 2, 2018
  6. Is it too late to have him order a larger SSD? If not, moving the data file might be your best bet.

DeaconFrost, Apr 2, 2018
  7. and its a good idea to move data file, especially .pst files, as it will end up in the path of most backups.

MS needs to to set these data files in Documents so thing like File History by default back them up.

Caledon Ken, Apr 2, 2018
  8. Best practice to install Office 365 Personal on dual drive pc

In Outlook in Office 365 you can choose where to store the emails, there should not be any issues in storing them on another drive as far as I know. Since I don't use Outlook that much, I can not be 100% sure about this though.

The default email file location is:
    C:\Users\[YOUR COMPUTER USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\[YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT ADDRESS OR ACCOUNT NAME.ost]

Your userprofile folder is the biggest storage hog of them all, that includes all storage used for ALL application caches and settings on your computer. I highly doubt, that the email inbox will be the biggest concern here (I receive about 300 mail daily on average on 3 accounts). Outlook also has an archive function, which moves away all chosen mail and attachments to another file. This file can be encrypted and compressed and can be located anywhere also.

So it would be better to backup your email daily and then maybe weekly or monthly archive anything older than lets say 30-90 days or maybe older than 1 year. This way Outlook also performs much faster.

slicendice, Apr 2, 2018
  9. scopio Win User
    There are price constraints as this is for a charity and SSD are still too expensive for what they are. So moving the .pst files seem to be the best bet to create the folder to store the IMAP .pst files in before setting the key using the ForcePSTPath key: although as I understand it this only works for accounts created after the key is set. So I intend to add an email account which is rarely used first and then change the registry.

scopio, Apr 2, 2018
  10. You can change the PST file path wherever and whenever you want within Outlook 365. No need to go registryediting anything.

Just make sure the file is copied to the new location before editing.

slicendice, Apr 2, 2018
  11. scopio Win User
    I'm afraid I am not familiar on how to carry out your suggestion. Perhaps you would be so kind as to set out the steps I need to do to achieve what you suggest.

scopio, Apr 2, 2018
  12. Sure, give me some time and I make a short tutorial with pictures.

slicendice, Apr 2, 2018
  13. scopio Win User

Thanks that would be most appreciated. *Smile

scopio, Apr 2, 2018
  14. OK, now I remember why I do NOT use Outlook at all. It is horrible to use, configure and it crashes every now and then (did it twice already while I was moving my inbox, that I could not even move as I thought it would, but had to back up the old file and then create the new file elsewhere and finally import the exported data, which ended up in a bunch of duplicate mail). Making backups is also horrible and very time consuming. There is absolutely no way to automate making backups properly and only way is to schedule archiving of mail, which is NOT the same thing.

CONCLUSION: NOPE, I will not dig any deeper into this topic. Sorry for the inconvenience and for raising any false hopes.

If someone want's to dig into this issue, feel free to take over. I give up, and never touch Outlook again. *Smile

P.S. I use eMClient, it's simple and it's free for using of up to 2 email accounts (but the free version is only for personal use, not commercial use) and everything works as it should.

slicendice, Apr 2, 2018
  15. Sounds like a stability problem on your end. Outlook works like a charm and is the industry standard for mail clients.

Making backups of Outlook is simple, although it should be rarely needed. It's 2018, and if you aren't using a hosted e-mail account, you're missing out. If you still use POP3 (why?), all you need to do is maintain a copy of the .pst file. Any sync app should be able to do that for you.

DeaconFrost, Apr 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Best practice to install Office 365 Personal on dual drive pc - Similar Threads - Best practice install

2. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  3. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  4. Office 365: Dual NICs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Office 365: Dual NICs: Hello,I have a Windows 10 PC with 2 NICs installed: - NIC 1: Uses DHCP, is on a domain, has internet access, and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is disabled. - NIC 2: Used for an ad hoc network. Has a static IP address Not APIPA. Does not use DHCP, DNS,...
  5. ADFS on premise install - best practice

in Windows 10 Customization
    ADFS on premise install - best practice: Hi, I am trying to find a document that states that installing ADFS is a seurity risk if installed on a Domain Controller and not seen as best practice. I know there may be reasons why and they should be mitigated but would be good to highlight the risk levels Thanks...
  6. Office 365 installed on PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Office 365 installed on PC: I recently purchased office365 and their is a conflict with the previous installed office. I want to remove the older version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-365-installed-on-pc/f0b7ffd5-b969-4322-83c0-6c56b9d8eb84
  7. Best deal on Office 365?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Best deal on Office 365?: So I had a student license for Office 365 and I think it's expired now. What's the best deal on full version of Office 365? I saw the normal yearly price of $99, so is office always going to be a yearly paid subscription? 168766
  8. Best Practice for Unmounting External Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best Practice for Unmounting External Drive: I have created a mirror image on an external drive. I wish to dismount this drive until I need to make another mirror image. I have 5 external drives so I am unable to identify the drive I wish to disconnect using the Windows 10 Pro software. Does it matter if I shut down...
  9. Best Practice: Join Domain or Office 365

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best Practice: Join Domain or Office 365: I work at a small office. 14 local PCs connected to our local AD domain. We use azure AD to connect/sync the local AD to office 365. We have some new employees coming on who will not be working in the office. I have their accounts created/synced in Office 365/Active...
  10. Best Practices for Regular PC Maintenance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best Practices for Regular PC Maintenance: I'm surprised there's not a sticky for this, but can anyone recommend any software or a checklist to clean up junk on a PC on a regular basis besides cookies and cache? I'm referring to things like registry and defrag. I also feel like there's space and/or resources being...