Windows 10: Best practice to move existing system drive to new motherboard/CPU?

Discus and support Best practice to move existing system drive to new motherboard/CPU? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; UnfortunatelyI am starting to feel the upgrade itch. Its been over 4 years and a new series of Intel desktop CPUs has launched. All I might change are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ignatzatsonic, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Best practice to move existing system drive to new motherboard/CPU?

UnfortunatelyI am starting to feel the upgrade itch. Its been over 4 years and a new series of Intel desktop CPUs has launched.

All I might change are CPU and motherboard---not RAM.

Im seriously considering NOT doing my normal clean install, partially out of curiosity about the process, but mostly because Id hate to spend the hours required to reconfigure Windows and dozens of applications.

Current setup is Win 10 Home Retail updated to version 2004 system drive (2.5 inch SATA SSD), with all data on totally separate drives. Strictly UEFI, GPT, no MBR. No graphics card. Starting with an Intel 6600K and ending with something like a 10600 or 10700, probably non-K. From an AsRock Z170 series board to most likely Gigabyte, possibly Asus, either H470 or Z490.

I will of course make a fresh Macrium image of all partitions on the system drive before beginning.

With my limited understanding, I guess I could do any of these 4 things:

1: simply move the drive to the new hardware with no preparation and see if it will boot.

2: use Sysprep to generalize the drive, shut down, and then move it.

3: walk through my programs list in settings/apps and Device Manager and uninstall anything that looks to be driver-ish or motherboard-specific.

4: something else. Provide details.

What is the best practice as of today? There may be a tutorial, but I couldnt find it in my fumbling.

Im generally interested in the least frustration and I realize I may have to reactivate.

As I understand it, I should assure that my current install is linked to my MS account. I think it is already, although I have a local installation.

Not sure this is in the right forum, so move if required.

:)

ignatzatsonic, Jun 13, 2020

2. cpu upgrade - w10 wont boot

Replacing disks is no problem.

In my experience, replacing motherboards almost always results in crashes.

You could run this experiment:

• Create an image of your System partition. Store in on an external USB disk.
    • Insert the new CPU.
    • Install Windows. I bet that it will work flawlessly.
    • Restore the image you created in Step 1.

Frederik Long, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Windows 10 New Hard Drive New MOtherboard

I am replacing motherboard cpu and memory and had windows 10 drive that originated from windows 7. How can install windows 10 on new hard drive

PhilWalenga, Jun 13, 2020
  4. JaYp146 Win User

Best practice to move existing system drive to new motherboard/CPU?

[FS][US] CPU, NForce4 skt 754 motherboard (with PCI-express slot, rare!), DDR RAM

bump, CPU's stepping is now listed.

JaYp146, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

Best practice to move existing system drive to new motherboard/CPU?

1. Best practice to move existing system drive to new motherboard/CPU? - Similar Threads - Best practice move

2. Defender for Endpoint - Best Practices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender for Endpoint - Best Practices: Hi,Where can I find a list of best practice settings for Defender for Endpoint agent settings as defined by Group Policy?I am currently reviewing the settings my org uses, and would also like to know if I have missed any settings too.Best regards,Dan...
  3. Defender for Endpoint - Best Practices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender for Endpoint - Best Practices: Hi,Where can I find a list of best practice settings for Defender for Endpoint agent settings as defined by Group Policy?I am currently reviewing the settings my org uses, and would also like to know if I have missed any settings too.Best regards,Dan...
  4. Defender for Endpoint - Best Practices

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  6. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  7. Wiping drives before new motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wiping drives before new motherboard and CPU: I want to completely wipe all 3 of my SSDs (one of them being the boot drive), as if they were brand new before I proceed with the installation of my new motherboard and CPU. How should I proceed with this? I’d prefer not to use any 3rd party programs and do it inside of...
  8. Best Practice for Unmounting External Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best Practice for Unmounting External Drive: I have created a mirror image on an external drive. I wish to dismount this drive until I need to make another mirror image. I have 5 external drives so I am unable to identify the drive I wish to disconnect using the Windows 10 Pro software. Does it matter if I shut down...
  9. Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard: Hi, I am upgrading my motherboard and wonder what will happen when I move my version of windows to this new piece of hardware. I have my Microsoft account linked to my digital license, so I have heard that when booting on the new motherboard ASUS STRIX Z390-E Windows will do...
  10. New motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    New motherboard and CPU: Ok I think I am having to give up on what on earth is wrong with my Ivy Bridge build (2012) and replace the board (and CPU) with either of these Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming3 ATX 1151 Motherboard GA-Z170X-Gaming3 | shopping express online (impressive price) or Gigabyte...