Windows 10: Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general

Discus and support Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, can anyone refer me to good information to understand how Win 10 is works or is organized? I use it for general purpose things regularly, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gntsketches, May 9, 2019.

1. Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general

Hi, can anyone refer me to good information to understand how Win 10 is works or is organized? I use it for general purpose things regularly, but I feel pretty ignorant about anything at all "under the hood", and would like to get better sense of this. I have some *quite* limited software development experience (read: basically just Javascript) and so I do actually want technical explanations as long as they are relatively beginner-friendly.

Two thoughts -
    a) in particular it would be nice to have a better grasp of the file structure, and how Windows manages its own operations and those of other things you have installed.
    b) it seems sort of like Win 10 puts some sort of wrapper around Win 7. For example, "control panel" is still available if you Win-key and search for it; but on the Win10 Start-menu UI there is the "settings" gear (with many of the same options organized differently. ) What is up with this?

Apologies if this post is a bit vague - I'm sort of poking around for info, and don't really know precisely which questions to ask to alleviate the general confusion I have with Win 10.

:)

gntsketches, May 9, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 9, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, May 9, 2019
  4. StefanM Win User

Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general

DirectX Raytracing Tutorials

This repository contain tutorials demonstrating how to use DirectX Raytracing. Under the Tutorials folder you can find Word documents going over the code, explaining how to use the API.

Requirements:

• Windows 10 RS4. Follow the instructions on the DirectX forums.
    • Windows 10 SDK 10.0.16299.91.
    • Visual Studio 2015.
    • You do not need to download the DXR SDK, it is packaged with the tutorials.
    • Open the solution, build it, knock yourself out.
    Unsurprisingly the samples don't run on Redstone 3 (missing procedure entry points in runtimes).
    I'll recheck next month with Redstone 4.

Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general stefan061-20180320.png

StefanM, May 9, 2019
Thema:

Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general

1. Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general - Similar Threads - Best tutorials resources

2. General questions about configuring laptop for the best performance.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    General questions about configuring laptop for the best performance.: Hi all, I had some questions regarding improvements in my computer, specifically for gaming, even though my laptop is not suited to do so all that much. However, until I can upgrade, which will be quite some time, I was looking to get the absolute best gaming experience I...
  3. windows 10 -tutorial

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 -tutorial: Is there a windows 10 tutorial online? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-tutorial/8d686e80-90f0-47f0-a1ee-2df3037f9de2
  4. Is there a Tutorial to help me understand what can be achieved using the Task manager...

in Cortana
    Is there a Tutorial to help me understand what can be achieved using the Task manager...: Please give me a link or say where I can find such a tutorial. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-tutorial-to-help-me-understand-what-can/a39ee7e3-3eeb-489b-bcc4-432e21ae3299
  5. Best tutorial i have read in ages

in Windows 10 Support
    Best tutorial i have read in ages: Shawn Brink The tutorial you wrote on favorites in edge is the best I have read in ages :) I am a old old tech and one of my biggest irratation is people who write manuals !!!! Thanks again 150126
  6. Is there a book/ video tutorial for absolute beginners to Windows 10 and even PC's in general?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a book/ video tutorial for absolute beginners to Windows 10 and even PC's in general?: Someone elderly I know just bought their first Windows laptop and they struggle alot with it (organizing files, downloading things, keeping their Laptop uncluttered and safe from viruses etc etc). They only ever used an iPad before and I can't help much because I dont use...
  7. Best tutorials/recommendations for speeding up a slow computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best tutorials/recommendations for speeding up a slow computer: Hi, wondering what sort of resources are good for this? None of the tutorials linked in this forum seem to be directly about this topic, unless I missed something. In general my machine has been super slow, and I really don't understand enough about how Windows works to learn...
  8. Introduction to Windows 10 - best tutorial

in Windows 10 Support
    Introduction to Windows 10 - best tutorial: Thank you Brink, I have changed my P/W. Now I have another question. What is the best tutorial that I can use to bring me up to speed on windows 10? I have much experience with XP, so a tutorial that starts with that knowledge base might be suitable....
  9. Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10: How to: Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10 Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance of Programs or Background Services in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows manages your processor resources automatically, and can allocate tasks...
  10. Windows 10 Tutorial Index

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index: How to: Windows 10 Tutorial Index Windows 10 Tutorials Quick Reference Index Coming Soon 1977