Windows 10: Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general

Discus and support Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, can anyone refer me to good information to understand how Win 10 is works or is organized? I use it for general purpose things regularly, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gntsketches, May 9, 2019.

1. Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general

Hi, can anyone refer me to good information to understand how Win 10 is works or is organized? I use it for general purpose things regularly, but I feel pretty ignorant about anything at all "under the hood", and would like to get better sense of this. I have some *quite* limited software development experience (read: basically just Javascript) and so I do actually want technical explanations as long as they are relatively beginner-friendly.

Two thoughts -
    a) in particular it would be nice to have a better grasp of the file structure, and how Windows manages its own operations and those of other things you have installed.
    b) it seems sort of like Win 10 puts some sort of wrapper around Win 7. For example, "control panel" is still available if you Win-key and search for it; but on the Win10 Start-menu UI there is the "settings" gear (with many of the same options organized differently. ) What is up with this?

Apologies if this post is a bit vague - I'm sort of poking around for info, and don't really know precisely which questions to ask to alleviate the general confusion I have with Win 10.

:)

gntsketches, May 9, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 9, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, May 9, 2019
  4. StefanM Win User

Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general

DirectX Raytracing Tutorials

This repository contain tutorials demonstrating how to use DirectX Raytracing. Under the Tutorials folder you can find Word documents going over the code, explaining how to use the API.

Requirements:

• Windows 10 RS4. Follow the instructions on the DirectX forums.
    • Windows 10 SDK 10.0.16299.91.
    • Visual Studio 2015.
    • You do not need to download the DXR SDK, it is packaged with the tutorials.
    • Open the solution, build it, knock yourself out.
    Unsurprisingly the samples don't run on Redstone 3 (missing procedure entry points in runtimes).
    I'll recheck next month with Redstone 4.

Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general stefan061-20180320.png

StefanM, May 9, 2019
Thema:

Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general

1. Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general - Similar Threads - Best tutorials resources

2. Best tutorials/recommendations for speeding up a slow computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best tutorials/recommendations for speeding up a slow computer: Hi, wondering what sort of resources are good for this? None of the tutorials linked in this forum seem to be directly about this topic, unless I missed something. In general my machine has been super slow, and I really don't understand enough about how Windows works to learn...
  3. Windows 10 Resource Kit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Resource Kit: Hello, Does a Windows 10 Resource Kit exist? Looking for those extra little utilities to aid in deployment and installation. Specifically something like SHORTCUT.EXE from yesteryear. Thank You Brad...
  4. How to understand folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to understand folders in Windows 10: I'd like to understand folder setups on my 2 Win10 computers --- I suppose they follow the same idea as Win7 & Win8 but I never understood them I unhid the Libraries in Win10 as the instructions to do so are available So now my documents & pictures folders appear to me...
  5. Tutorial for OOBE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tutorial for OOBE?: Hi all, I will get my son a new computer for College and want to clean install Windows 10 on the old one. Where can I find a tutorial that will let the new user have OOBE, and have him/her set it up to the liking of the new user. Thanks Sven 85038
  6. Windows 10 resource usage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 resource usage: One of the good things is the small footprint of Windows 10. In my installation it uses only 8.5GB on the C partition and less than 500MB of RAM. I am sure that willl grow somewhat with the RTM edition, but it is a good start. [img] [img] 2548
  7. Introduction to Windows 10 - best tutorial

in Windows 10 Support
    Introduction to Windows 10 - best tutorial: Thank you Brink, I have changed my P/W. Now I have another question. What is the best tutorial that I can use to bring me up to speed on windows 10? I have much experience with XP, so a tutorial that starts with that knowledge base might be suitable....
  8. I don't understand Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    I don't understand Windows 10: MS says Win 10 is the last version of Windows. I don't understand all these different versions, Creators, Anniversary, Fast track, Insider Preview. I'm thinking of just dumping Windows and switch to a lite version of Linux like Zorin or Xubuntu. I just need an OS that runs...
  9. Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10: Thank you Brink this is a tweak that will make windows great again but will be more nice for dword if you notice the number values as decimal or hex , maybe both anyway , is very strange , I googled the registry key and I found a lot of other opinions , I refer here...
  10. General Windows 10 Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    General Windows 10 Questions: Since new to Windows 10 I have some general questions. I backed up the "User" accounts folder (mine & my wife's) on an external hard drive before I upgraded from 64 bit Windows 7 to 10. 1. Don't quite understand why there is both a "This PC" & Local Disk C. Both seem to...