Windows 10: Best way to add external storage

Discus and support Best way to add external storage in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am looking forward to making a lot more video files. Since they are 50 times larger than document files I am considering ways to add external storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KCav45, Jun 22, 2021.

1. KCav45 Win User

Best way to add external storage

I am looking forward to making a lot more video files. Since they are 50 times larger than document files I am considering ways to add external storage to my Windows 10 PCs. I am experimenting with two 2 TB external hard drives made by JMicron. After I attached them to USB ports on my PCs they immediately appeared in File Explorer; I copied files to them and backed up my System Partition to them. They seemed to be working so I tested them with SeaTools for Windows ver 1.4.0.7. They failed the short generic test and they failed the long generic test 50% of the time. Wow, was I surprised. Next I tested them with Speccy and they passed. I wish I understood why they failed SeaTools tests and passed Speccy`s test. They also passed the internal test on the drives. I feel I will be making greater use of external storage and would appreciate advise on how best to select, configure and use external storage devices. Here are some thoughts and questions I have, I don't know why but I like 2 TB size. I frequently drop external drives so I think I should use a SSD. I would like to find a faster DTR than I am experiencing; would appreciate advise on what type of connection to use and on configuration options; what should the temperature be under a normal work load?

:)

KCav45, Jun 22, 2021
  2. Mussels Win User

HELP!!! External Drive issues!!

you're in luck, the guy with way too much external storage is here to the rescue!

step 1: try with a different USB cable

step 2: take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your PC

quite likely the cable or enclosure has died. if you're re-initialising the disk you might actually be erasing it... so dont do that.

Mussels, Jun 22, 2021
  3. xTSx Win User
    Error: Please Insert The External Storage Media And Press Ok

My computer, HP 14-an013nr, said to do the Windows 10 update, but the storage was full so it suggested an external storage device... The problem is that now after using a usp drive and following the steps it is unable to reinstall the previous version. I've
    tried this multiple times and even when it says "Restoring the previous version of windows" it always comes back to the "error please insert the external storage media and press ok" message. I can no longer use the computer. It will do NOTHING. It won't restore
    the previous version of windows and only shows a black screen with the error message. Is there a way to save the thing or is it lost?

4. Best way to add external storage

Update Assistant does not detect External Storage Device

I am currently facing an issue with the update assistant. The problem comes from the prompt as seen from this webpage

Free up space for Windows 10 updates

The issue is in "Step 2: Connect an external storage device". It says to
    "Connect your external storage device and wait until you see it in the drop-down list" but the external storage device already connected to my device (and shows up on My PC) is not shown on the drop down list. Can you help?

Best way to add external storage c6321704-8541-466f-88a9-ab5e75fbdf04?upload=true.png

Haziq Jamaludin, Jun 22, 2021
Thema:

Best way to add external storage

1. Best way to add external storage - Similar Threads - Best add external

2. Which is, the best way?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which is, the best way?: My omputer is a laptop. Running Windows 10.I've been using notepad. But I'm looking, for something better?There are so many choices. Word, Wordpad, Notepad, Notepad 2, Notepad++I prefer Wordpad because you could click on links. But here's the problemafter I open it I copied...
  3. External drive not seen - best way forward?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive not seen - best way forward?: Hi I've had a few external USB drives die on me lately. One of them wasn't fully backed-up, so I'm looking for the best way to try and recover the data. The disk is a 5TB Seagate Backup-plus (2.5 inch) USB3-connected drive. The data on it isn't really all _that_ important (I...
  4. External drive not seen - best way forward?

in Windows 10 Support
    External drive not seen - best way forward?: Hi I've had a few external USB drives die on me lately. One of them wasn't fully backed-up, so I'm looking for the best way to try and recover the data. The disk is a 5TB Seagate Backup-plus (2.5 inch) USB3-connected drive. The data on it isn't really all _that_ important (I...
  5. What is the best way to add 'tags' to videos on my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the best way to add 'tags' to videos on my PC?: I tried to just put them in the video title but i run out of room. Is there a way to do this? submitted by /u/FinancialJello4 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g8w1th/what_is_the_best_way_to_add_tags_to_videos_on_my/
  6. Best external storage device for HP Stream

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best external storage device for HP Stream: Can anyone share advice for the best and most affordable external storage device compatible with an HP Stream? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-external-storage-device-for-hp-stream/9e7ad45b-c67b-4a87-b306-ddf7364af7d4
  7. Best way to add custom tiles?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Best way to add custom tiles?: I've seen some different solutions, but I've been wondering what really is the absolute best way to add your own custom tiles to the start menu. Hopefully without having it open a separate program everytime you want to use one of your own. Currently Windows 10 makes all the...
  8. Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive: Something I need to do from time to time is transfer user data from an old Windows computer. I usually put the old hard drive in a USB enclosure, navigate to the user profile folder properties/security tab/Advanced/, add the admin user on the new PC, give "full control" to...
  9. Add a new child account - what's the best way?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Add a new child account - what's the best way?: We already have a family setup. Myself as head of household for the PC (admin), my wife as adult standard account and our son as a child account. We can all login without drama to the Windows 10 machine. However, now we want to give our second child an email address and a...
  10. what is the best and safest way to format a storage drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    what is the best and safest way to format a storage drive: I have my OS on an SSD and then I have 3 2 TB hard drives that I use to have a triple redundancy backup. I have one drive I save everything to and then I use a program called GoodSync to back up that main drive to two other drives. It is a bit overkill but I know I will have...