Windows 10: Best way to change 4 user account names on 2 computers

Discus and support Best way to change 4 user account names on 2 computers in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I just set up a new laptop with Windows 10 and an activated subscription to Office 365 Home with two users and was about to also install Office 365 on... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by desertman, Jun 8, 2016.

1. desertman Win User

Best way to change 4 user account names on 2 computers

I just set up a new laptop with Windows 10 and an activated subscription to Office 365 Home with two users and was about to also install Office 365 on a desktop with Windows 8.1 that belongs to the same family, and now they told me that they want to have three of the user names changed - two on the laptop and one on the desktop.

I know that it is in theory quite easy to change user names but I also read that this in praxis sometimes brings problems with it. And I don't know whether changing the user names would also change the user folders or whether the folder names would remain unchanged (which would be not good).

Can somebody tell me more about it, please? Is it possibly better to create new users, move the data over, and then delete the old users? Would deleting two users on the laptop and then creating two new users and then connecting these new users to Office 365 (and OneDrive) mean that I have used two of the five user accounts for OneDrive with 1 TB storage, or would I then have used up four such users?

Thanks for your help!

:)

desertman, Jun 8, 2016

2. Change adminstrator name from email address

Hi,

We got you. To change your admin name, kindly follow this steps.

1. On the search box, type Control Panel.

2. Click User Accounts.

3. Then select Change user account name or change your user account name.

4. Type the name you desire, then click change.

5. Restart your computer.

If you have other questions or concern, just let us know and we're here to help.

Thank you.

Richard tie, Jun 8, 2016
  3. How would I go about changing the user name for the main admin while keeping all of the documents and settings created under the exiting user name?

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

From the give discretion of the issue, I understand that you want to change the User name of an user account in your system.

I like to inform you that; if you will change the user name of an user account then it won't effect the
    documents and settings of the user account.

Please follow the below steps to change the user name of the user account.

1) Press Windows + r and type netplwiz, press Enter.

2) Select your existing user account.

3) Click on Properties button.

4) Change the User name and click on OK.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you,

Santosh_Rai, Jun 8, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Name of the user profile and the profile folder always remains the original one. If a user was created as LarryLaffer, that will be the name of the user profile even after you change the username to JohnDoe. In other words, in the future this user would sign in to Windows with username JohnDoe and have his user data stored in profile folder C:\Users\LarryLaffer.

The simplest way to do what you want to do is to sign in to a PC with your own admin account, remove all wrongly named accounts and create new accounts named as the users want to.

Kari, Jun 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Best way to change 4 user account names on 2 computers - Similar Threads - Best change user

2. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  3. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  4. Changing names of user accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing names of user accounts: Is it OK to change the name of a user in the ‘users’ section of File Explorer inside This PC/Windows? I have one listed as ‘new user’ and would rather give it a more meaningful name....
  5. Change name of user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change name of user account: I have an admin user account named "Admin". After I created it, I linked it with my Microsoft account which bears the name of "Shmuel". However, the system still calls the account "Admin". For instance, the path is C:\Users\Admin I want to change the name to "Shmuel", because...
  6. User Account Name Change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Account Name Change: I just got this computer last week, and the last letter of my name is missing. I dont have an option to change it in the Control Panel, nor can I rename the folder through my drive. Is there another option?...
  7. Changing Computers User Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Computers User Name: Hi, My mom just gave me her laptop so I'm trying to personalize it as me. While trying to change the Username, I don't quite get why I have already change the username in the registry but still showing different name on the system information. Anything I can do to fix this? I...
  8. User Account Name Change

User Account Name Change: Final result of this whole process: JUST CREATE A NEW USERNAME AND START ALL OVER. Weird/odd things keep popping up. The sound issue, random program errors, and random instability with Windows (I clicked the wifi button in notifications to turn it off the other day to move...
  9. Is there a Simple way to Change User Account/Name?

Is there a Simple way to Change User Account/Name?: I know there are many things that are suggested but I wonder if there is a simple way to do this. We just got our new Windows 10 Pro laptop yesterday and it was set up with an MS username and junk password. It then created a username in the USER directory and, all programs...
  10. Change user account name?

Change user account name?: Having created a Msoft admin account in form, say, def7936@...., I then created a local account with admin powers, which I called Forename. However I see that all my local account documents are in C:\users\def79, an abbreviation of the Msoft version, not Forename, as desired....