Windows 10: Best way to change folder ownership/permissions without admin account on Win10

Discus and support Best way to change folder ownership/permissions without admin account on Win10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have to break Windows 10 file/folder permissions as a part a university project. I found many different methods on the internet (for example this),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/wojwen, May 9, 2020.

1. /u/wojwen Win User

Best way to change folder ownership/permissions without admin account on Win10

I have to break Windows 10 file/folder permissions as a part a university project. I found many different methods on the internet (for example this), but I was wondering which one is currently the beast/easiest one? I would prefer something non-invasive, without a risk of breaking the OS, it's okay if it's not possible.

submitted by /u/wojwen
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/wojwen, May 9, 2020
  2. sraimc326 Win User

Local Admin can't delete folder, can't take ownership, can't change ACL

I have a folder in Win10 Pro (no AD) that cannot be deleted by a local admin (tried with (2) different local admin accounts). I cannot take ownership of the file. I cannot change listed permissions. I have tried Admin:CMD and AdminBest way to change folder ownership/permissions without admin account on Win10 :powershell options.
    Totally stuck. Any direction is appreciated.

sraimc326, May 9, 2020
  3. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

I have been tearing what little hair I have left out of my head trying to copy a file from my desktop to the appropriate folder in the Kodi folder buried in the XBMC… folder in Windowsapps in a brand-new fairly high-end laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I cannot get beyond first what appears to be a UAC “Destination Folder Access Denied” error message saying “You’ll need to provide administrative permission to copy to this folder.” If I click on the UAC “continue” button I get another “Destination Folder Access Denied” error box saying “You need permission to perform this action.” The second error box has only “Try Again” and “Cancel” buttons. Nothing is listed under “More details” in either error box.

Here is most of what I have tried:

1. changing ownership of Windowsapps and all folders below it to my Microsoft account user and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    2. changing ownership to administrators group for Windowsapps and all folders below it and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    3. enabling the “hidden” administrator account, going back to my Microsoft user account and granting full-control rights to the administrator account, returning to the administrator account, taking control with that account, granting full control permission to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    4. creating a new administrator account and repeating 3;
    5. completely disabling UAC through the registry, once in the default administrator account and once in my Microsoft account user.
    6. adding and using the “Take Ownership” context option on a Windowsapps folder as described in the Tutorial at Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 ; and
    7. running the following commands in an administrator command window:

Code:
    as suggested at: Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders... - Windows 10 Forums
    In fact, even if I do an explicit copy from an administrator command window, I get an “access is denied” notice.

None of the many sources I have looked at online are of any help in dealing with this blockage. Please help — not only do I need to get full-control access to Windowsapps and its subfolders for this purpose, I also need to get full-control permission to Windowsapps folders in order to get rid of an annoying McAffee startup.exe which pops an error box on every boot up even though I removed McAffee in the normal way.

How can I get assured access to Windowsapps folders???

jedpaquette, May 9, 2020
  4. xBruce88x Win User

file permissions/ownership troubles

a while back my main user account got corrupted somehow and the only way to get to my files was to take ownership of them in my other admin account. but now i'm stuck with having to retake ownership of these files every time i try to access it from another computer or user account, which makes sharing multimedia to my xbox 360 impossible. is there a way to just remove all of these permission settings back to normal? its REALLY getting frustrating with the access denied crap, its even interfering with some .msi install files. *Mad Best way to change folder ownership/permissions without admin account on Win10 :mad:*Cry :cry:

this also puts my new computer build on hold since i need to transfer the files but i'm stuck with the ownership crap

edit: btw its on windows xp pro sp3

xBruce88x, May 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Best way to change folder ownership/permissions without admin account on Win10 - Similar Threads - Best change folder

2. Unable to create a new user admin account without current admin permissions

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to create a new user admin account without current admin permissions: I am trying to create an admin account for myself a work. I am currently using an old account from a previous employee as all other accounts are password protected. I nor my employers have the passwords for any of these accounts. The password protected accounts are admin...
  3. Ownership and permissions of my drives and my folders change without my knowledge and I am...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ownership and permissions of my drives and my folders change without my knowledge and I am...: My permissions and the owner keep changing without my knowledge and without me actively changing anything of this nature.When attempting to follow fix relayed here related to the soon t be called Core 2 Users Windows Apps Broken By Update Disaster, I am locked out of Windows...
  4. Ownership and permissions of my drives and my folders change without my knowledge and I am...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ownership and permissions of my drives and my folders change without my knowledge and I am...: My permissions and the owner keep changing without my knowledge and without me actively changing anything of this nature.When attempting to follow fix relayed here related to the soon t be called Core 2 Users Windows Apps Broken By Update Disaster, I am locked out of Windows...
  5. Ownership and permissions of my drives and my folders change without my knowledge and I am...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. remove admin without permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    remove admin without permissions: I have recently graduated from high school and i was given my school laptop and now i cant do nothing because every time I download something it asks for the admins username and password but I don't know that because the school had access to the admin stuff pls help how do i...
  7. remove admin without permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove admin without permissions: I have recently graduated from high school and i was given my school laptop and now i cant do nothing because every time I download something it asks for the admins username and password but I don't know that because the school had access to the admin stuff pls help how do i...
  8. Admin Account Aking for Admin permissions.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin Account Aking for Admin permissions.: Windows 10 20h2 Im going nuts with this new level of protection. Turned the Uac to the lowest, still im having windows pooping all the time asking for permissions sometimes applications that cant do some actions unless im as admin or copying files to specific folders, its...
  9. Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive: Something I need to do from time to time is transfer user data from an old Windows computer. I usually put the old hard drive in a USB enclosure, navigate to the user profile folder properties/security tab/Advanced/, add the admin user on the new PC, give "full control" to...
  10. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...: running out of ideas, just can't seem to gain full control of folders or files in the windowsapps folder, i can delete files and folders but i can't rename files or folders or edit file content... for example when i try to edit a file name i get: "you require permission...