Windows 10: Best way to clean up/ delete files?

Discus and support Best way to clean up/ delete files? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’ve been trying to run a virus scan on my Windows 10 laptop, but every time I run it my laptop overheats. I apparently have over 300k files. Is their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LatterDance4737, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Best way to clean up/ delete files?

I’ve been trying to run a virus scan on my Windows 10 laptop, but every time I run it my laptop overheats. I apparently have over 300k files. Is their any way I can lessen these files so my computer doesn’t overheat? (I don’t know anything that would help besides %temp% and deleting files that are useless) anything helps!

submitted by /u/LatterDance4737
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LatterDance4737, Nov 16, 2020
  2. Alden Rey Win User

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Nov 16, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Unable to delete a file

Hi Brent,

There are a lot of possible reason why the issue occurs, we suggest that you access
    safe mode
    and
    delete the files there. If the same issue occur,
    reboot
    your PC and run these following
    methods of troubleshooting
    steps:

Method 1:
    Run SFC Scan.  

To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:  

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.   

Method 2:
    Run DISM Tool.  

To run
    DISM Tool, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type the following command:  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

NOTE:
    This might take a while to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel. 

Method 3: Clean Boot.

To perform a
    Clean Boot, click
    here.

Note:
    Reset the computer back to
    Normal Mode
    once you are done with the troubleshooting by following the section
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the same article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 16, 2020
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Best way to clean up/ delete files?

Unable to delete temporary files

Hi Sumit,

Looks like you are running out of storage space, let's walk you through the steps of running
    Disc cleanup for your Windows 10 device.

To delete temporary files, kindly follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Disc cleanup and press Enter.
    • In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.
    • Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    • Select OK.

If the suggestions above didn't work, feel free to post back so we can further troubleshoot.

Ferdz Amp, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

Best way to clean up/ delete files?

1. Best way to clean up/ delete files? - Similar Threads - Best clean delete

2. Disk clean up is not deleting files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk clean up is not deleting files: When I run Disk Clean-up it does not delete the files I have selected.I run Clean Up and then re-boot and still there 8gig + of files.How can I delete the file Clean Up does not?...
  3. Best way to fully clean the register?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to fully clean the register?: Hi, I would like to fully clean my register, i have some Issues with malware. Fully clean windows wipe and reinstall don't affect the register. Is there any software that does this? Doing it manually would take ages :/. https://imgur.com/a/CucSQ9o submitted by...
  4. Best way to perform a clean installation...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to perform a clean installation...: I'm running Win 10 Pro Insider 2004 (19564.1005) and I've been noticing little problems here and there. These are very small, but at the same time, can be frustrating. Performance degradation to the point of being non usable and having to reboot, windows update doesn't always...
  5. Best way to perform a clean installation...

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to perform a clean installation...: I'm running Win 10 Pro Insider 2004 (19564.1005) and I've been noticing little problems here and there. These are very small, but at the same time, can be frustrating. Performance degradation to the point of being non usable and having to reboot, windows update doesn't always...
  6. Best way to clean my PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Best way to clean my PC: Hey, So in 2017 i got my gaming pc It has an i5-7600k 1070 ti 16gb ram and more, so its a good pc. When i got it, it ran beautifully.. I could boot in 7 seconds.... But over time, especially now. Its really slow, it has troubles loading chrome etc I know it's not my...
  7. Best way to Clean-up a huge File Structure keeping only the good.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best way to Clean-up a huge File Structure keeping only the good.: Doing this manually is nearly impossible. The folder structure contains over 160,000 files that have accumulated over many years. Less than half of these need to be kept. But they are buried among all the other files that need to be removed. I think it might be possible...
  8. Best way to Clean-up a huge File Structure keeping only the good.

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to Clean-up a huge File Structure keeping only the good.: Doing this manually is nearly impossible. The folder structure contains over 160,000 files that have accumulated over many years. Less than half of these need to be kept. But they are buried among all the other files that need to be removed. I think it might be possible...
  9. Best and safest way to Clean My Files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best and safest way to Clean My Files: I have a lot of old and unwanted files on my comp and would be grateful if anyone could advise me which is the safest and best cleaner for a novice (Me) to use. 114229
  10. Best way to partition a clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to partition a clean install?: I'm likely to want to do a complete clean install, perish the thought. Or maybe I'll get a new computer. This one was fast and loaded, but it's about 6 years old now. Same considerations will apply in both cases I think. I just ran Macrium to backup Win, and find the...