Windows 10: Best way to do a hash compare of 2 folders

Discus and support Best way to do a hash compare of 2 folders in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I have two folders. The first folder has duplicate files that exist in the second folder. The problem is that in the second folder, the files are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bobsagetfullhou, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Best way to do a hash compare of 2 folders

So I have two folders. The first folder has duplicate files that exist in the second folder. The problem is that in the second folder, the files are named very differently. Is there a way to do a hash compare of both folders, and then for it to tell me which files there is duplicates for in both folders, and which files there are not?

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Oct 22, 2018

2. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool - Bugs & Invalid Hash

I just wanted to let the Microsoft Team and the community know about this:

The way to fix most of the bugs in the Windows 10 upgrade is with a clean install or an operating system refresh after the upgrade. Most users are not aware of this procedure, but it allows you to reinstall the operating system's core files without data
    loss. The only way to do it is with a burned ISO file.

Whenever I use the Media Creation tool to download the ISO, it doesn't download completely. I compare it with the file hash taken from entries on the MSDN Subscriber Downloads website: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/hh442898.aspx

The hash of the file downloaded by the Media Creation tool doesn't match the actual hash. Here are the right ISO file names on the MSDN to compare hashes with:

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool 1607 for both Home & Pro (regular download):

• Windows 10 (Multiple Editions), Version 1607 (Updated Jul 2016) (x86)
    • Windows 10 (Multiple Editions), Version 1607 (Updated Jul 2016) (x64)
    Just search for these iso files on the MSDN Subscriber Downloads site and copy the corresponding SHA1 hash into a program like HashTab to compare.

To legitimately direct download the official ISO file from Microsoft, follow this tutorial:

http://techdows.com/2015/08/use-this-trick-to-get-windows-10-iso-direct-download-links.html

This workaround may not be available if Microsoft decides to change their download page. However, the file hash now matches.

Without a formal way to compare file hashes, many users can receive partial ISO files. With those or with a non-refreshed Windows upgrade, users can be subjected to install errors (in which they blame Windows 10 for, thus hurting its reputation unnecessarily).
    Microsoft's indirect way of displaying file hashes for their ISO files should be improved. Anyone agree?

Webmaster2015, Oct 22, 2018
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Oct 22, 2018
  4. NdMk2o1o Win User

Best way to do a hash compare of 2 folders

Split Steam app folder between 2 HDD?

As the title suggests I want to find out if there's a way I can split my steam app folder on to 2 drives, specifically an SSD that I will be putting my OS and most used games and apps and a regular HDD for everything else?

NdMk2o1o, Oct 22, 2018
Thema:

Best way to do a hash compare of 2 folders

1. Best way to do a hash compare of 2 folders - Similar Threads - Best hash compare

2. Best way to rename home folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Best way to rename home folder: I did a reset of windows 10. All went ok at first. My home folder is "MyName".Unfortunately, system crashed and it could not be repaired so I did a restore. The restore picked up at the windows 10 installation and was asking for country, keyboard, etc, just like a new...
  3. Best way to rename home folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best way to rename home folder: I did a reset of windows 10. All went ok at first. My home folder is "MyName".Unfortunately, system crashed and it could not be repaired so I did a restore. The restore picked up at the windows 10 installation and was asking for country, keyboard, etc, just like a new...
  4. Best way to rename home folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I compare folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I compare folders: I'm backing up data from 1st External HDD to a 2nd External HDD. How do I compare folders to ensure the files inside this folders are the same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-compare-folders/4d79df67-e8fc-461d-a031-ffedd4c3ac3b
  6. How do I compare folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I compare folders: I'm backing up data from 1st External HDD to a 2nd External HDD. How do I compare folders to ensure the files inside this folders are the same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-compare-folders/4d79df67-e8fc-461d-a031-ffedd4c3ac3b
  7. Comparing File Content Of 2 Folders on Windows 10

Comparing File Content Of 2 Folders on Windows 10: Hi I've got 2 folders of family photos, 1 on my pc drive and the backup on an external drive. There's a difference of 11 between the 2 folders and I want to know which is correct, i.e. i don't want to assume the lower number is correct and lose 11 family pics! Trouble...
  8. Best way to compare performance on 2 PCs streaming

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best way to compare performance on 2 PCs streaming: HI, I have 2 towers much the same vintage both with Win 10 x64 1909 and I would like to be able to compare them for possible streaming. Same programs etc. Because of the random nature of things just happening to slow a PC down, is there a basic way to at least see if the...
  9. Compare Folders

Compare Folders: In windows 10 … Is there a way to compare two folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compare-folders/fb1363e9-788f-442a-873f-3b073c054206
  10. What Would Be The Best Way To Do This?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What Would Be The Best Way To Do This?: I have an Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG and I am wanting to do a completely new Windows 10 install, swapping/upgrading my OS hard drive to a brand new SSD... and I want to make sure there is a hidden recovery partition after new Windows install. I was told to use Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 find matches in two folders

2. hash 2 folders on windows

3. best way to hash applications on windows

4. how to hash files in two different folders for comparison