Windows 10: Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop?

Discus and support Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi there guys, I'm starting to organize my desktop because I want to have it as clean and polished as possible. I wanted to use the multiple Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Juuzen, Jun 15, 2020.

1. /u/Juuzen Win User

Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop?

Hi there guys,

I'm starting to organize my desktop because I want to have it as clean and polished as possible. I wanted to use the multiple Desktop function of W10 but, as far as I tried, it is really poor. I can't setup different desktop icons for each desktop, and I can't even setup a different wallpaper (pretty basic stuff I guess). I made a rapid research on Google and I found some programs that are really outdated (2015 and older).

Is there any way to enhance this feature? Any way to differentiate my desktops in order to have different setups for every desktop?

submitted by /u/Juuzen
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Juuzen, Jun 15, 2020
  2. Charlie Klausen, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s))

General speaking? It's been great. Virtual desktops have thus far been pretty smooth, but they're TOO simplified. There's no way to use them without confusion or having to paradoxically use post it notes or something to remind you what desktop you left something
    on. Yes, you can do windows+tab and go poke around, but that's still something that requires hunting if you have a very busy machine like mine. (Intel server hardware 256gb ram, many TB hdd space, etc).

But now it needs some polish:

• Ability to rename virtual desktops instead of desktop 1, 2, 3, etc & Ability to change background on each virtual desktop instead a single point or having to use a third party API to shift it upon switch
      • When I have multiple desktops, its to keep organized in different thought buckets. But my thoughts don't run in line with "thought bucket 1, 2, 3 etc"
      • One desktop has console sessions
      • Another has administrative tools open
      • Another is where I'm browsing reddit
      • So I want to label them! Identify them!
    • For multiple monitor solutions (I have six), allow for a single monitor to stay static. So when I can set up a center console that virtual monitors flow around.
      • For instance, Lync & Outlook are live on Virtual Desktop 1 Monitor 2 (Center bottom), and I select that monitor and click say "static virtual" or something to that effect. So now when I hit CTRL+WIN+RightArrow, My center bottom monitor stays the same, while
        the other five move to the next virtual desktop.
      • And an additional ability to virtualize windows rather than windows taking up a specific size based off of 1/2 split 1/4 split overly simplified mechanics. (yes, its easy, but gramma isn't the only customer.)
        • Right now, if I want to lock a chat window (like the name column) into place, and use the basic drag to side and lock function, it starts out at half a window.
        • Well I don't need half a window. I don't even need it to take up the full space from top to bottom.
        • See the program "Maxto"
    • This probably isn't really doable, and honestly moot, but because I just thought of it, I'll mention it. VMWare integration, so that the VM becomes a virtual desktop (once you specifically set it, you're "on the virtual machine literally" instead of just
      a virtual desktop.)

HouseHalcyon, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop?

is there a way to custom label virtual desktops?

is there a way to custom label virtual desktops instead of "desktop 1", "desktop 2", etc.?

GeetikaGuruprasad, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop?

1. Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop? - Similar Threads - Best enhance Virtual

2. Is there any way to lock a window to a virtual desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to lock a window to a virtual desktop?: I have 3 virtual desktops and find that my windows randomly move between the desktops. I'm trying to keep windows in a a personal desktop separate from windows in a citrix hosted work desktop, separate from windows in a projects desktop. I find that windows from one desktop...
  3. Is there any way to lock a window to a virtual desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there any way to lock a window to a virtual desktop?: I have 3 virtual desktops and find that my windows randomly move between the desktops. I'm trying to keep windows in a a personal desktop separate from windows in a citrix hosted work desktop, separate from windows in a projects desktop. I find that windows from one desktop...
  4. Quick way to close all virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick way to close all virtual desktops: Is there a quick way to close all virtual desktops? I have close to 400 and it's very slow and time consuming to close each one. The other posts similar to this didn't work, the Ctrl+windows+F4 didn't close unless I was in the Task View and then you have to open it again each...
  5. Quick way to close all virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick way to close all virtual desktops: Is there a quick way to close all virtual desktops? I have close to 400 and it's very slow and time consuming to close each one. The other posts similar to this didn't work, the Ctrl+windows+F4 didn't close unless I was in the Task View and then you have to open it again each...
  6. Best way to "fit" desktop background image?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to "fit" desktop background image?: Some of the images I have for desktop backgrounds (slideshow), don't fit properly, even though I select the "fit" option. As far as I can tell, Windows is only scaling based on height, so when an image has an aspect ratio that is wider than tall compared to my desktop's...
  7. Virtual Desktop Enhancer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual Desktop Enhancer?: Has anyone been able to get the virtual desktop enhancer functioning? This is the link but it seems it is no longer being supported. https://github.com/sdias/win-10-virtual-desktop-enhancer I just want different background for my virtual desktops, and can't get this to...
  8. Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s))

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s)): General speaking? It's been great. Virtual desktops have thus far been pretty smooth, but they're TOO simplified. There's no way to use them without confusion or having to paradoxically use post it notes or something to remind you what desktop you left something on. Yes, you...
  9. Best choice for virtualization?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Best choice for virtualization?: Former Linux user lured by Windows 10. Love it completely. Need Linux for a few things so I need to virtualize. Have Windows 10 Home (Upgraded from Windows 8.1 retail) so I don't have Hyper-V. Virtualbox isn't working quite right for me and I don't know if VMWare is worth the...
  10. Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive: Hi, I have a Win 8.1 and I do not want to upgrade to Win 10, first concernes are about the lak of all Drivers (Sound, LAN,WLAN,BT). Before the Free Upgrade ends I thought to do a Image of my Win 8.1 Partition, upgrade it and see how it goes. Now, my HDD is 1TB, there are...