Windows 10: Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install

Discus and support Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I think we've got a corrupt Win10 install here. A new Seagate drive had bad sectors maybe. Had all sorts of problems. So I reckon a reinstall or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Apr 9, 2017.

1. abrogard Win User

Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install

I think we've got a corrupt Win10 install here. A new Seagate drive had bad sectors maybe. Had all sorts of problems.

So I reckon a reinstall or something.

What would be the recommended way of going about this?

:)

abrogard, Apr 9, 2017

2. Best way to solve corrupt files on memory card ?

The best way will indeed be to format your memory card, and reinstall everything again.

kingblue---01, Apr 9, 2017
  3. Best way to solve corrupt files on memory card ?

Hi

I was trying to back up my memory card (5800XM) via Windows XP - copying/pasting - and several corrupt files were thrown up.

e.g "22%.dat" in the Private\....\Cache\E\ folder, a file for Opera Mini DS folder

Even when I deleted 22%.dat from the phone, it was miraculously resurrected as soon as I tried to copy over again.

What's the best way to solve this ?

Do I have to reformat the card & reinstall Ovi Maps, music / image files, Apps again ?

thanks

swayzak---01, Apr 9, 2017
  4. anonjwm Win User

Run a chkdsk and fix errors and then do a reinstall. Hopefully your drive can be fixed. May be time to look into getting a new drive though.

anonjwm, Apr 9, 2017
  5. abrogard Win User
    If I can get it up long enough to do a chkdsk. I need a command prompt for that, right? Or perhaps there's something else I could use. Take the disk out and put it in another machine and do it there? That might be the way to go.

The thing just keeps going round and round with messages about checking disks and whatnot ( i forget, i'm agitated and in a hurry).

it is a new disk. a seagate 1T.

use whatever i've got for a reinstall or there's something perhaps better I could download from MS and put on a USB stick and do that way?

come to think of it if i'm going to do a reinstall i might as well use another new drive. i have another. same kind. seagate 1T. i should format it first somewhere else or an install disk/usb can be trusted to do all that?

i do remember one time having all kinds of hassles with a new disk - getting it recognised by win10 in some weird way..

abrogard, Apr 9, 2017
  6. anonjwm Win User
    Do it within advanced startup with the command prompt if your not able to login and initiate it.

It's "Chkdsk C: /r" C would be whichever letter your drive is.

anonjwm, Apr 9, 2017
  7. anonjwm Win User
    What method are using to do a clean install

anonjwm, Apr 9, 2017
  8. abrogard Win User

well the last time i used a boot dvd. put the untouched new hard drive in the machine and booted off the cd, did the install, went about building up the software .....

ran alright for a short while then problems... now too bad to continue...

'automatic repair' that's what it circles around at...

abrogard, Apr 9, 2017
  9. anonjwm Win User
    Which software did you install? And did you notice any problems before or after

anonjwm, Apr 9, 2017
  10. anonjwm Win User
    Also even though being a new drive, it could be possible that you got a bad drive.

anonjwm, Apr 9, 2017
  11. abrogard Win User
    yep. i think it is a bad drive and wanted to run seatools on it but i couldn't download and install them.

i just tried 'reset' from the advanced on automatic repair and it failed - said there was a problem and that's the end of that.

not much software in there. main thing eventually was roblox for the child.

how about this new drive issue - okay to put it in there and install on it or better to process it somewhere first?

abrogard, Apr 9, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    All you have to do is put the new drive in, boot from the Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD. Select custom install when asked. The next screen will show partitions on the drive if there are any. Delete any partitions shown until you get to just an unallocated space. Highlight the unallocated space and click next. Let Windows set up the partitions on the drive. After installing Windows, if you want a partition for data files you can shrink the OS partition and add your data partition.

NavyLCDR, Apr 9, 2017
  13. abrogard Win User

thanks for that. i thought as much and that's what i've always done but after this recent debacle i wondered if perhaps with some manufacturer's drive it might be better to process them first or somesuch...

anyway the job's done and i've got a new windows thing up for him.

abrogard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install - Similar Threads - Best Fix Corrupt

2. Best way to migrate install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to migrate install?: Helping my son upgrade his W10 PC. He's moving to an all-new system -- everything except for his SSD. His original system is at least 7 years old, so I'm sure it has a ton of outdated drivers and code from when he was still running W7. Few questions: First question is just...
  3. Best way to perform a clean installation...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to perform a clean installation...: I'm running Win 10 Pro Insider 2004 (19564.1005) and I've been noticing little problems here and there. These are very small, but at the same time, can be frustrating. Performance degradation to the point of being non usable and having to reboot, windows update doesn't always...
  4. Best way to perform a clean installation...

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to perform a clean installation...: I'm running Win 10 Pro Insider 2004 (19564.1005) and I've been noticing little problems here and there. These are very small, but at the same time, can be frustrating. Performance degradation to the point of being non usable and having to reboot, windows update doesn't always...
  5. Best way to fix BSOD on new laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to fix BSOD on new laptop.: A laptop I bought recently has decided to BSOD on occassion. Scans and DISM have done nothing and drivers are updated. Error is a CRITICAL PROCESS DIED and it happens at random. submitted by /u/Elite_wildwolf [link] [comments]...
  6. Possible corrupt hardrive. Best way to resolve

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Possible corrupt hardrive. Best way to resolve: Last month my hard drive displayed a number of issues: requiring to be scanned and fixed before the pc is fully turns on, to being unable to be safely removed through normal methods to stalling- to becoming totally unresponsive. Recently messages stating that the drive...
  7. Best Way to Install Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best Way to Install Updates?: I would like to get a mini poll here on how people would install Windows 10 Updates? For now, I set it to Auto Download and Notify to Install from the Group Policy settings since I have the Pro version. Please provide me some feedback on how you guys do the Windows...
  8. Best way to clone a Windows Installation?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best way to clone a Windows Installation?: Hi I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but considering a lot of people have cloned their Windows installations before an upgrade or a clean install, I thought I'd try! I noticed that on my 250gb ssd, there are 3 partitions relating to the one Windows...
  9. Best Way to Install Office 2016?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Best Way to Install Office 2016?: I currently have a licence for Office 2010 for 3 PCs installed on 3 PCs. I want to retire Office 2010 on my main desktop PC and use Office 2016 instead for which I've bough a cheap single PC licence. I then want to use the spare Office 2010 licence on a fourth PC (but only...
  10. Best way to partition a clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to partition a clean install?: I'm likely to want to do a complete clean install, perish the thought. Or maybe I'll get a new computer. This one was fast and loaded, but it's about 6 years old now. Same considerations will apply in both cases I think. I just ran Macrium to backup Win, and find the...