Windows 10: Best way to get old hardware and software to work on windows 10.

Discus and support Best way to get old hardware and software to work on windows 10. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have found from past experience that its better to have your hardware and software installed in an old OS before upgrading to the newer OS and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by donegaljoe, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Best way to get old hardware and software to work on windows 10.

Hi,

I have found from past experience that its better to have your hardware and software installed in an old OS before upgrading to the newer OS and maybe trying to install it then, as somehow I am of the impression that it has a better chance of working if installed in the old OS first that you are upgrading from. Anyone else had a similar experience?

So I have windows 7 and windows 8 on different partitions on my computer, windows 8 has a lot less software installed.

I was going to upgrade 8 to windows 10 to see how it goes, but wondering now if maybe I should go ahead and upgrade windows 7 (OEM) instead, (more of my old applications on it and all working).

Though the official news is I can always go back to to windows 7 from windows 10 (I do have drive images made with acronis) I am still that bit worried that the windows 7 (OEM) product key might somehow in the future be seen as invalid by Microsoft. if I downgrade to windows 7 again.

Is everyone confident doing an upgrade from windows 7 (OEM) to windows 10 and maybe thinking if it doesn't work out , that if they go back to windows 7 everything will work ok as regards showing genuine software?

Thanks
    Joe

:)

donegaljoe, Jul 21, 2015
  2. Marby Rey Win User

What is the best way to get DVDplayer to work after installing windows 12. it was perfect with 7.

Hi,

For better assistance, can you provide us more details about your issue? Is your DVD drive not recognized by Windows? If yes, we suggest that you follow the resolution provided in this
    article.

For reference, you can also check this article: DVD playback options for Windows.

Regards.

Marby Rey, Jul 21, 2015
  3. ToniTack Win User
    What is the best way to get DVDplayer to work after installing windows 12. it was perfect with 7.

Where is Microsoft media player? Do they now want us to buy something else? Toshiba wants us to buy power 12 Dvd.

Would it work with Win 10? Is there no windows fix? Eliminate Media player and then what?

People, we are being scammed non stop with obsolescence and it us the middle class who is taking up the ......

We keep buying and buying and updating like fools. All this tech demeans us and destroys the quality of life we have left to us -

ToniTack, Jul 21, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Best way to get old hardware and software to work on windows 10.

Absolutely, it's been stated many time that you can revert to the original OS if you don't want to stay with Win 10, even by Gabe Aul.

Ztruker, Jul 22, 2015
  5. Molyy Win User
    Windows provides the feature of "rollback" to the old system. But it can only be used within the first month after you upgrade.
    Since you got hard drive image of acronis, there's no need to worry about that.

Molyy, Jul 22, 2015
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    Joe, If you post your System Specs, it will be easier to give specific advice. I use very old hardware with Windows 10 without problems, but some much newer components may struggle.

I don't know what sort of license (or edition) you have for Windows 8 - if a full retail version, then it is not tied to your current hardware, and can be transferred to newer equipment if required. Any upgrade to 10 will also have the retail channel and comparable edition (core or pro) and will be likewise transferable.

The Windows 7 OEM, and any upgrade to 10 will be tied to that hardware, and if a home edition or lower, will be a 10 home edition.

Personally I would upgrade the Windows 8, and over time swap my essential Windows 7 stuff there. If you don't like 10 better than 8, you have less to lose on reverting back.

You have a year to think whether upgrading 7 is for you. Don't rush it.

Fafhrd, Jul 22, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Particularly with DRIVERS -- sometimes the old hardware will work (printers for example) whereas after a CLEAN install there isn't an available new driver and the OLD one won't install.

However for stuff that REALLY won't work don't forget you can always keep running your OLD OS in a VM. These days on modern hardware using a Virtual Machine involves very little overhead for typical applications on the Guest OS.

You can Virtualise your old running physical OS quite easily -- use the FREE VMware converter to create the Guest OS and use VMPLAYER to boot and run the VM.

Download VMware vCenter Converter Standalone for P2V Conversion

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 22, 2015
  8. Best way to get old hardware and software to work on windows 10.

Tied or not once in use you have 10 years support doesn't matter if it is OEM or Retail.

GaloreRu1z4n3x, Jul 22, 2015
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    The thing is if you are tied in, once the motherboard goes down, so does the OS, however many years of support are left, unless there is a suitably similar motherboard replacement available, which years down the line is less likely. Once upgraded, Microsoft gives you about a month to change your mind and revert to the original system.

Fafhrd, Jul 22, 2015
  10. bro67 Win User
    I am running it just fine on a Dell Inspiron 537s with Intel Core Duo and 4 GB RAM. Only thing that I have added for testing purposes is Google Chrome. A lot more zip with 10 than 8. The GUI is worse than the Windows 8 Desktop. Even with Start10 running.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Best way to get old hardware and software to work on windows 10.

1. Best way to get old hardware and software to work on windows 10. - Similar Threads - Best old hardware

2. Best Hardware, Software, Windows scanning-for-repairs program?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best Hardware, Software, Windows scanning-for-repairs program?: Hello!I've had this problem for almost a month now where the Bluetooth on my Asus X571GT will suddenly disappear, and an 'unknown usb device descriptor request failed' will appear. This will sometimes only make my Bluetooth disappear, and in most cases, it cause my laptop to...
  3. Best Hardware, Software, Windows scanning-for-repairs program?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best Hardware, Software, Windows scanning-for-repairs program?: Hello!I've had this problem for almost a month now where the Bluetooth on my Asus X571GT will suddenly disappear, and an 'unknown usb device descriptor request failed' will appear. This will sometimes only make my Bluetooth disappear, and in most cases, it cause my laptop to...
  4. Best Hardware, Software, Windows scanning-for-repairs program?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Best way to save softwares & applications settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to save softwares & applications settings: Hello guys, tl;dr : Do you know guys any tool that just copy paste all the settings from my app ? So when it's reinstalled, I have nothing to do ? For some reasons, I tend to reset my computer a lot. By that, I mean booting windows 10 from an USB device, erase my current...
  6. Any way to get the Zune software to work on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any way to get the Zune software to work on Windows 10?: I still have and love my old Zune HD, it's my main music player, but I recently moved from a Windows 7 computer to a Windows 10 and I can't seem to install the software anymore. I tried looking online for fixes and found the offline Zune installer since the software is no...
  7. What is the best way/software to get the latest drivers for my PC?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is the best way/software to get the latest drivers for my PC?: Hi, I've always used Driver Booster by Iobit to update my drivers, but sometimes it installs the wrong drivers (especially in regards to Realtek Audio drivers). Windows Update also doesn't do a very good job of finding missing drivers or updating old ones. And also my...
  8. What is the best way/software to get the latest drivers for my PC?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the best way/software to get the latest drivers for my PC?: Hi, I've always used Driver Booster by Iobit to update my drivers, but sometimes it installs the wrong drivers (especially in regards to Realtek Audio drivers). Windows Update also doesn't do a very good job of finding missing drivers or updating old ones. And also my...
  9. the best cleaner software for windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    the best cleaner software for windows 10?: I'm just wondering what is the best cleaner software for windows 10 in 2019? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-best-cleaner-software-for-windows-10/48d67200-621b-40c8-89ca-56e9c1dab7cf
  10. Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer: Hi all, I hope you can help me....my mom is in need of a new laptop. Her existing laptop, a Dell Precision m6500, is giving up the ghost, I think the system board or video card is bad, it just shuts down with no notice intermittently, even with nothing being done on the...