Windows 10: best way to install ubuntu to a USB 3.0 drive??`

Discus and support best way to install ubuntu to a USB 3.0 drive??` in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey so i have a UEFI bios and i wanted to install Ubuntu to my USB 3.0 drive which is pretty much empty and not being used what's the best way to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tonyb, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Tonyb Win User

best way to install ubuntu to a USB 3.0 drive??`

Hey so i have a UEFI bios and i wanted to install Ubuntu to my USB 3.0 drive which is pretty much empty and not being used what's the best way to do this ??

:)

Tonyb, Jun 12, 2017

2. My laptop takes too long to start more than 5 hours

Okay...

It is NOT the Operating System according to you.

Boot from some sort of USB Live Media, like an Ubuntu Live stick (don't install, boot from, run Ubuntu from the stick - you should have USB 3.0, right?)

How long does that take?

That way you can check the BiOS settings and verify if or if not it is hardware issues at the same time. Then act accordingly: get the hardware fixed or clean install Windows 10. (Or have fixed it via BIOS settings.)

In any case, let us know.

Shenan Stanley, Jun 12, 2017
  3. trbogt Win User
    Even worse problem - Control Panel (Personalization) is completely blank

Quote>

EDIT: I'm switching to Ubuntu because this problem is extremely aggravating.

I don't know...I loaded Ubuntu on to a USB disk and so far have not been successfull getting it to work...I suppose I'd have to install it on a separate hard drive as my USB is only 2.0...tried running from my USB 3.0 port but it is still slow as thick syrup.*john

trbogt, Jun 12, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

If you just want play around with linux and maybe even try a few different distros you computer is capable of running one at a time in a virtual machine, At the same time as Windows 10.

If you need a little more info on Virtual Machine's here is some reading for you
    Three of the Best Virtual Machine Applications for Windows 10 - Make Tech Easier
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...d-windows-pcs/

sml156, Jun 12, 2017
  5. Tonyb Win User
    yeah ubuntu was a dog in the hyper v i took it off so figured maybe i would install it instead

Tonyb, Jun 12, 2017
  6. sml156 Win User
    It runs fine on my crappy 4 gig ram laptop as long as I use VMware and a XFCE desktop.

sml156, Jun 12, 2017
  7. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. best way to install ubuntu to a USB 3.0 drive??` - Similar Threads - best install ubuntu

2. Plugged USB drive into friends infected computer, best way to wipe?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Plugged USB drive into friends infected computer, best way to wipe?: So I needed to use a friends computer to download a windows 10 repair program and it seems my friends computer was compromised. He told me it was acting weird and thought it might have had one, but I had checked the Windows Security and it didn't detect any viruses at all....
  3. Best way to migrate install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to migrate install?: Helping my son upgrade his W10 PC. He's moving to an all-new system -- everything except for his SSD. His original system is at least 7 years old, so I'm sure it has a ton of outdated drivers and code from when he was still running W7. Few questions: First question is just...
  4. Best way to perform a clean installation...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to perform a clean installation...: I'm running Win 10 Pro Insider 2004 (19564.1005) and I've been noticing little problems here and there. These are very small, but at the same time, can be frustrating. Performance degradation to the point of being non usable and having to reboot, windows update doesn't always...
  5. best way to contact level 3 support in the USA?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    best way to contact level 3 support in the USA?: What is the best way to contact level support as they are meant to contact us and never do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-way-to-contact-level-3-support-in-the-usa/3bd66a48-aacf-4d4d-8c4e-d8382bd68651
  6. Best Way to Install Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best Way to Install Updates?: I would like to get a mini poll here on how people would install Windows 10 Updates? For now, I set it to Auto Download and Notify to Install from the Group Policy settings since I have the Pro version. Please provide me some feedback on how you guys do the Windows...
  7. Best Way to Install Office 2016?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Best Way to Install Office 2016?: I currently have a licence for Office 2010 for 3 PCs installed on 3 PCs. I want to retire Office 2010 on my main desktop PC and use Office 2016 instead for which I've bough a cheap single PC licence. I then want to use the spare Office 2010 licence on a fourth PC (but only...
  8. Best & Cheapest Way to Use 3 Monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Best & Cheapest Way to Use 3 Monitors: I hooked up my new-to-me computer the other day. I was super excited because it had 3 ports on the video card, and while I love 2 monitors, 3 would be even better! Well, as it turns out, this version of this video card (AMD Radeon HD 5450 with VGA, DVI & HDMI) will only...
  9. Best way to partition a clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to partition a clean install?: I'm likely to want to do a complete clean install, perish the thought. Or maybe I'll get a new computer. This one was fast and loaded, but it's about 6 years old now. Same considerations will apply in both cases I think. I just ran Macrium to backup Win, and find the...
  10. Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install: I think we've got a corrupt Win10 install here. A new Seagate drive had bad sectors maybe. Had all sorts of problems. So I reckon a reinstall or something. What would be the recommended way of going about this? 81415