Windows 10: Best way to install Win10 on a system with 2 other OS' on separateHDD?

Discus and support Best way to install Win10 on a system with 2 other OS' on separateHDD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sorry for that mess of a title... Right now I have 3 OS' on 3 different drives. I have win7 (which I never use) on an old 1TB harddrive that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jay95, Nov 19, 2016.

1. jay95 Win User

Best way to install Win10 on a system with 2 other OS' on separateHDD?

Sorry for that mess of a title...
    Right now I have 3 OS' on 3 different drives.

I have win7 (which I never use) on an old 1TB harddrive that is being used for storage.

On a Sandisk 120gb SSD, I have Win10 installed, and this is the main OS I use. When I upgraded from 8.1, this is the drive I installed it onto.

However the Sandisk OS (win10) is rather cluttered, and I need to stop a few processes to ensure the best gaming performance.

So I decided to buy another SSD (ADATA) and have a fresh win10 installation on it. After installing the ADATA SSD, I partitioned it on the Sandisk OS into 2 volumes (1 for OS, the other for game installations)

PLAN/TL;DR
    : Heres what I want the final setup to look like:
    Upon rebooting the system, I want to be able to choose between the ADATA OS and the Sandisk OS.

When Im using the Sandisk OS, Id like the win7 drive to be connected (for accessing the stored files), but when using the ADATA OS, I want the win7 drive disconnected.

How can reinstall win10 on the ADATA drive (in the designated partition) without any boot conflicts with the other drives/ OS?

Should I disconnect all other drives when reinstalling windows on the ADATA drive? How can I change the bios settings to be able to do what I mentioned above?

Is is worthwhile updating my BIOS? how safe is it to do that?

The next section is background info that may help.

BACKGROUND:
    I restarted, and booted off an USB drive to install Win10 on the ADATA SSD. Everything worked fine after I installed drivers for my ethernet card and graphics card.

My reason behind doing this is I want to have 2 OS I can boot into. #1 is the Sandisk OS which would be for everyday use, and OS#2 would be on the ADATA SSD and solely be used for gaming. I hoped it would be as simple as restarting and choosing which OS to boot into.

Here's where my problems start.
    It worked fine for a little while, then after few weeks whenever I tried restarting to switch from the Sandisk OS to the ADATA OS, it wont let me boot into the new ADATA OS. I get an error saying "Disk boot failure- insert system disk and press enter"

I played around with the bios settings a bit, (but I don't remember what I did exactly, was a bit drunk at the time). The one thing I remember selecting was "use the boot settings that work best" (or something along the lines of that). I may have changed the boot order a put to put the ADATA one above the Sandisk and Win7 drives.

After that I was able to get to the blue windows screen where you can select which OS to use. Both worked until the next time I wanted to switch from Sandisk OS to ADATA OS.

When I restarted I got a screen with a QR code saying that startup attempt failed and it would attempt repairs. When it restarts and tries repairing startup, it says repair failed and gives me more options for things like command prompt, use different OS, restart in safe mode etc.

Now if I try to select the ADATA OS from the "use different OS" option, itll just restart and start the attempting repairs cycle all over again.

So what I wanna do now is just reinstall windows 10 on the associated partition on the ADATA SSD drive.

PROBLEM:

Were the issues above caused by conflicts due to the OS on the other drives?

Note that when I first installed a fresh copy of win10 on the ADATA SSD, I accidentally left the drive that had win7 on it connected. (I unplugged the Sandisk OS SSD). Would that cause issues?

When it started giving me errors, I also played around with which harddrives were connected during startup.

How can I reinstall windows 10 on the ADATA drive with no conflicts?

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks for your help!

-

:)

jay95, Nov 19, 2016
  2. 小雄陳 Win User

The CPU usage of System Interrupts will increase over 50% on windows 10 after resume from S4 at battery mode.

Hi Romel,

1. After reboot the system, the symptom disappeared.

2. Re-Install Microsoft Win10 OS, the symptom still occurred when system resume from S4 at Battery mode.

Best Regards

Jarvis.chen

小雄陳, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Best way to setup dock storage on 2 in 1 Windows 10 Pro notebook?

What would be the best way to setup dock storage on 2 in 1 notebook? I have a ASUS T200TA 2 in 1 notebook that I am setting up for my sister. It currently has the Windows 10 Pro OS and everything on 45GB's of the 64GB SSD of the tablet part of it. I've
    installed a 1TB hard drive on the keyboard docking base and want to set it up as the primary storage drive of her files. So I am trying to figure out the best way to do this so it also backs up her files she has created when using just the tablet portion
    of it. I am not yet familiar with all the options Windows 10 has so I thought I would ask.

I know how to include folders from another drive in her libraries, but I'm not familiar yet with File History, Storage Pools and creating a synced pair in Windows 10. I have used Microsoft SyncToy as a tool to backup my user file for many years but I haven't
    figure out how the Sync Center works.

It would be great to sync the user files both ways and to move older files to the 1TB storage drive on the docking base automatically so the SSD on the tablet does not run out of space!

Your suggestions and ideas would be appreciated!

Highlander-n-CO, Nov 19, 2016
  4. SonicBlue Win User

Unfortunately If you are wanting two(2) instances of Windows 10 on the same pc you will need to buy a new key. You are only permitted one copy per license.

SonicBlue, Nov 19, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Once you purchase your second copy of Windows 10 - the biggest question becomes how do you want to dual boot it? There are at least three ways to set it up which require different methods of installing the second Windows 10.

1. Always boot from the same SSD and use the Windows 10 boot manager to choose which OS on which SSD to boot from. This way you don't have to mess with your UEFI boot override menu every time you want to boot into the alternate OS.

2. Have two completely independent bootable drives. Doing it this way you must use the UEFI boot override menu to boot into the alternate OS.

3. What I call hybrid between the two, and this is the way I prefer to set mine up. You set up the two SSDs as completely independent bootable devices. After doing that, then you add the other OS to each SSDs Windows 10 boot manager. This way I don't have to use the UEFI boot override menu every time I want to switch the OS - but if one SSD should happen to fail - or I just want to wipe it, the other SSD is always bootable by itself.

To "disconnect" the Windows 7 drive, you just remove it's drive letter in disk management.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Best way to install Win10 on a system with 2 other OS' on separateHDD? - Similar Threads - Best install Win10

2. whats the best way to fix an OS Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    whats the best way to fix an OS Problem: i have a laptop that some how got windows NT loaded as the OS which should be windows !! everytime i load up the media tool or try to do a clean install it keeps reverting back to windows NT so there has to be a configuration that i'm not seeing or something...
  3. whats the best way to fix an OS Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    whats the best way to fix an OS Problem: i have a laptop that some how got windows NT loaded as the OS which should be windows !! everytime i load up the media tool or try to do a clean install it keeps reverting back to windows NT so there has to be a configuration that i'm not seeing or something...
  4. Best way to transfer OS to SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to transfer OS to SSD?: I am running out of hard drive space due to installing too many games from various giveaways over the last two years.I went to install a second hard drive, only to find that there is no bay for a second conventional hard drive and no place to put/mount the second drive even...
  5. Best way to transfer OS to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best way to transfer OS to SSD?: I am running out of hard drive space due to installing too many games from various giveaways over the last two years.I went to install a second hard drive, only to find that there is no bay for a second conventional hard drive and no place to put/mount the second drive even...
  6. Best way to transfer OS to SSD?

7. Best Way to Install Legacy Applications in Win10/Pro x64?

Best Way to Install Legacy Applications in Win10/Pro x64?: I am running Win10/Pro x64 version 19042.804 or 20H2 At 81 I'm no longer interested in spending my limited remaining hours learning new razzle-dazzle software. I've finally given in and am moving to Win10 from Win7. I'd like to install legacy software for which I still have...
  8. Best way to migrate install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to migrate install?: Helping my son upgrade his W10 PC. He's moving to an all-new system -- everything except for his SSD. His original system is at least 7 years old, so I'm sure it has a ton of outdated drivers and code from when he was still running W7. Few questions: First question is just...
  9. Best Way to Install Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best Way to Install Updates?: I would like to get a mini poll here on how people would install Windows 10 Updates? For now, I set it to Auto Download and Notify to Install from the Group Policy settings since I have the Pro version. Please provide me some feedback on how you guys do the Windows...
  10. Best Way to Build A New Win10 Machine.

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Way to Build A New Win10 Machine.: I have this Gigabyte B75M-D3V board and an i3 cpu. And a new Seagate 1T hard drive. The drive is totally new. Hasn't been formatted or anything at all. What's the best way for me to get from here to a working Win10 system? I can't connect it to the internet right...