Windows 10: Best way to keep data safe with two HDD

Discus and support Best way to keep data safe with two HDD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey everyone. I have a Lenovo T430 with a 512GB mSATA drive, and a 512GB 2.5 inch SSD drive. My question is which is the best way to keep data safe,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sebastian-J, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Best way to keep data safe with two HDD

Hey everyone.

I have a Lenovo T430 with a 512GB mSATA drive, and a 512GB 2.5 inch SSD drive. My question is which is the best way to keep data safe, since apparently there's no agreement in the community. The OS and apps are in the msata drive.

• One option is to keep everything in the mSATA drive (which has the OS and applications) and just keep it mirrored on the 2.5 inch SSD.
    • Another option, is to have OS and apps in the mSATA drive and keep storage folders (Downloads, Documents, Music, etc.) on the 2.5 SSD to minimize unnecesary read/write cycles on the data drive.
    • A third option would be to use an HDD Caddy to replace the DVD unit, and put in it a spare 1TB HDD I have here. So, then I would keep OS and apps on the mSATA, data on the 2.5 SSD, and have the 2.5 SSD mirrored to the HDD in the caddy (I'm afraid this would slow the computer, because writing speeds would be conditioned by the HDD if I'm correct). Not sure if this can be done in Windows 10 since I've never used the volume mirroring feature.

Mostly I have documents (I work with statistics) and I try to keep other files (media, videos, music, photos) in an external HDD. My data is approximately 200GB, plus something like 150GB between OS and apps.

I'm open to suggestions or experience. Thanks in advance.

Best,

Seb

submitted by /u/Sebastian-J
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sebastian-J, Dec 15, 2020
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Dec 15, 2020
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Dec 15, 2020
  4. Best way to keep data safe with two HDD

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Best way to keep data safe with two HDD :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

Best way to keep data safe with two HDD

1. Best way to keep data safe with two HDD - Similar Threads - Best keep data

2. What is the best way to clone a hdd to ssd, which only contains datas ( but the users folder) ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the best way to clone a hdd to ssd, which only contains datas ( but the users folder) ?: Hello, I will replace my hdd, which contains my users folder, to a ssd, for go faster. What is the best way ( aka not losing my locations folders like users/pictures/documents/etc) to do this ? I was going to do it with a software like easeus todobackup, or aomei...
  3. Best way to back up my data

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best way to back up my data: Hi Experts, What is the best way to back up my data, which does not recopy entire data but copies the delta changes and also ensure my data is backed up. Hope, I don't have to buy software. Thanks in advance 171065
  4. Best way to back up my data

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to back up my data: Hi Experts, What is the best way to back up my data, which does not recopy entire data but copies the delta changes and also ensure my data is backed up. Hope, I don't have to buy software. Thanks in advance 171065
  5. Best way to move files froms SSD to HDD

Best way to move files froms SSD to HDD: Hi, I need help cause I´m a little confused. How do I know which of my disks is the HDD and which the SSD. I think thath the Windows (C:) is the SSD and the Data (D:) is the HDD. Is that correct. Well, I have a lot of files on Windows (C:) (sadly just 23 GB are left ), but...
  6. What's the best way to have two separate drive spaces on the same HDD for two users?

What's the best way to have two separate drive spaces on the same HDD for two users?: I've got a 2TB HDD (additional storage, not the main SSD where the windows install is) - an admin user and a standard user. I want the admin obv to have access to everything, but the standard user to have their own storage on a portion of the additional HDD but not to be able...
  7. best way to repair windows 10 hdd?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    best way to repair windows 10 hdd?: Hello, I have a windows 10 install that went bad. I am unable to boot from it says it needs repair I would like to recover data from it and use it again. What is the best way to go about repairing this drive? More specifically: can I avoid attempting to boot from it and...
  8. Keep your devices and data safe using these security best practices

in Windows 10 News
    Keep your devices and data safe using these security best practices: Ransomware, botnets and phishing scams were at an all-time high in 2018 and attackers are taking every opportunity to steal data for their own gain. In 2018 alone, Microsoft found that “More than 75 percent of phishing mails include malicious URLs to phishing sites. Other...
  9. Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive: Hi, I have a Win 8.1 and I do not want to upgrade to Win 10, first concernes are about the lak of all Drivers (Sound, LAN,WLAN,BT). Before the Free Upgrade ends I thought to do a Image of my Win 8.1 Partition, upgrade it and see how it goes. Now, my HDD is 1TB, there are...
  10. Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD: Title really says it all. I am getting my mother an upgraded MB/Processor/RAM for Xmas as she's on a MB from 2009 currently <LOL> The computer has a 1st or 2nd generation SATA 300GB HDD and the bundle package I ordered came with a brand new 1TB SATA HDD. Aside from...