Windows 10: Best way to kill unresponsive process realiably?

Discus and support Best way to kill unresponsive process realiably? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, i had unresponsive process, which was repeatedly showing pop up window: End Process. When i clicked on it, nothing happened... Even task manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by empleat, Aug 13, 2020.

1. empleat Win User

Best way to kill unresponsive process realiably?

Hello,
    i had unresponsive process, which was repeatedly showing pop up window: End Process. When i clicked on it, nothing happened... Even task manager wouldn't show and i had checked always on top and i couldn't get to desktop, or open start menu! I waited like 5 minutes, but i had to do hard restart. I have created shortcut with parameter: C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /f /fi status eq not responding. And gave it hotkey, how ever it did not work! I was afraid of it, because shortcut hotkeys works: only if you are on a desktop. Also i read this is not best way to kill a process. I dislike having to do hard restart, as it can permanently corrupt system...

And i have no space for a backup and system protection takes huge space and it automatically deletes old restore points anyways. And i have other reasons why i dislike it... I could use autohotkey to call shotcut, but i don't like having multiple programs running in background. I was thinking about simple c++ program, which would either call taskkill, or i found also this:

Code:
    But i am not sure what is optimal way to forcibly kill unresponsible process. Winkill supposedly waits, before trying forcibly to close it. Ah and for winkill you have to have installed autohotkey probably, as it is autohotkey command.

Thanks for answer!

:)

empleat, Aug 13, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Auto-kill a process

As I said, a trivial Autohotkey script - a permanent loop
    loop {
    If process exists - kill it
    sleep n
    }

(very roughly)

dalchina, Aug 13, 2020
  3. borgus Win User
    Auto-kill a process

Appreciate the suggestion. I use a .bat file here to do essentially what you describe, but my aim is to automate the process - no user intervention. A specified process opens; it spots and kills it. Closest that I have seen is an app that claims to do this on a schedule.

borgus, Aug 13, 2020
  4. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Best way to kill unresponsive process realiably? - Similar Threads - Best kill unresponsive

2. Which is, the best way?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which is, the best way?: My omputer is a laptop. Running Windows 10.I've been using notepad. But I'm looking, for something better?There are so many choices. Word, Wordpad, Notepad, Notepad 2, Notepad++I prefer Wordpad because you could click on links. But here's the problemafter I open it I copied...
  3. Which is, the best way?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which is, the best way?: My omputer is a laptop. Running Windows 10.I've been using notepad. But I'm looking, for something better?There are so many choices. Word, Wordpad, Notepad, Notepad 2, Notepad++I prefer Wordpad because you could click on links. But here's the problemafter I open it I copied...
  4. Background processes can't be killed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Background processes can't be killed.: I updated from Windows 10 to 11 almost 2 months ago. All the applications I use regularly are updated as is WIndows. When I start an application, whether it is a Microsoft application or other applications such as Adobe, Autodesk, Spotify, and so on. If the application starts...
  5. Background processes can't be killed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Background processes can't be killed.: I updated from Windows 10 to 11 almost 2 months ago. All the applications I use regularly are updated as is WIndows. When I start an application, whether it is a Microsoft application or other applications such as Adobe, Autodesk, Spotify, and so on. If the application starts...
  6. What is the proper way to close unresponsive processes?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the proper way to close unresponsive processes?: I used taskkill so far to kill unresponsive processes: Code: taskkill.exe /F /FI "status eq NOT RESPONDING" However I read this is not a safe way to close process! It could mess up registry, or Windows, or program data!!! There is also cmdlet: Stop-Process, it works...
  7. Windows kills every process

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows kills every process: Windows kills 90% of my applications on startup i can watch it happen in task manager.Stuff like chrome and discord work ok while a miriad of programs like notepad, Photoshop, edge, and my games will not open... Even system restore stops after 2 seconds.Idk what to do as...
  8. Best way for Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best way for Updates: Hello all, did a Google search and just can't find a lot of answers on this so here I am Right now using WHdownload to keep up with updates,not sure this is the best way to go. Have 3 computer in house so moving updates from one to other to save data downloading. When...
  9. Kill a Process in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Kill a Process in Windows 10: How to: Kill a Process in Windows 10 [img] Information A process is an instance of a program that is being executed. Each process running in Windows is assigned a unique decimal number called the process ID, or PID. If you notice a running process is reducing your...
  10. Auto-kill a process

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto-kill a process: Is there a way to auto-sense that a process has started and automatically kill it, without user intervention? I am aware of Auto-kill any process v.2.2, but that, according to one reviewer, requires user input. Thanks. 27047