Windows 10: Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system

Discus and support Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've searched for a solution with little luck. We have an older PC on which my daughter has an account, content and preferences. I'm passing on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DMW13, Jun 29, 2019.

1. DMW13 Win User

Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system

I've searched for a solution with little luck. We have an older PC on which my daughter has an account, content and preferences. I'm passing on my system and plan to install Windows 10 clean, then want to migrate her account to the computer.

I've found some paid solutions, but then find an article about Easy Transfer. Except that software is not compatible with Windows 10. And PC Mover Express is no longer free. Has Microsoft truly deprecated their only solution? $15 isn't bad, but PC Mover is $45 to move applications. If I have to move all the applications and set those up, I might as well build it from scratch and use a thumb drive to copy the few files she has.

Thanks

:)

DMW13, Jun 29, 2019

2. Settings - Change where content is saved: Does this migrate the current location or split the search paths? Set new dafaults?

When a new location is chosen to store content via Settings: System: Storage: Change where new content is saved > Apps, Documents or Photos as three primary areas of concern - Is the old location and contents migrated to the newly selected location and
    then set to default? If not, how are dual locations handled, especially in the case of "apps"?

brucemc777, Jun 29, 2019
  3. CVarga Win User
    Migrating a Windows 10 installation (OS, APPs, and settings) to a new hard drive on a laptop

Not positive this is the right forum area, but it looks like the best fit.

I wish to migrate my Windows 10 installation to a new larger hard disk drive. The challenge is that my laptop can only have one disk drive installed at a time, so many of the suggestions I found elsewhere which involved cloning software don't seem to be
    options for me. Ii am looking for suggestions as to the simplest and most reliable way to transfer my system, settings and apps to a new hard drive. Thanks in advance.

CVarga, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system

Unable to "get media content" from text messages.

My Nokia 920 on ATT was showing this exact error "getting media content" for a long time... finally spent a chunk of time attempting all suggestions above...

FIXED:

Note: Didn't help

- WiFi on/off

- Back up text on/off

- Group text on/off

- Data on/off

Ono RunAway, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system

1. Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system - Similar Threads - Best migrate content

2. Best way to create system image?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to create system image?: Hello so best software to create system image?is windows 10 built in system image creator ( windows 7) is reliable?idk how reliable it is so are there any better softwares to do that?i want to create a proper image of my whole drive c because i am gonna have to restore it...
  3. Best way to set up for a family

in Windows 10 Customization
    Best way to set up for a family: I'm looking for some advice about best way to set up surface pros for myself and my partner. We had one surface pro which we've had a little while. I had my windows account linked to this with Office 365. We've just got an additional surface pro. I want to use the new...
  4. What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?

What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?: I just got a NVMe drive and reinstalled Windows 10. I want to copy all my settings from my old drive which I was only using for a few months. Can I copy my entire user profile or something? Thanks for any ideas! submitted by /u/zWeApOnz [link] [comments]...
  5. Best way to migrate install?

Best way to migrate install?: Helping my son upgrade his W10 PC. He's moving to an all-new system -- everything except for his SSD. His original system is at least 7 years old, so I'm sure it has a ton of outdated drivers and code from when he was still running W7. Few questions: First question is just...
  6. Looking for the best way to seach inside files content

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for the best way to seach inside files content: which 3rd party software can do it the best way? "Everything" app is search forever and halt. 162441
  7. What's the best way to get the system spec for a new laptop?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the best way to get the system spec for a new laptop?: I've just bought a Lenovo Legion Y520 & have used speccy to get system info. There is another source of info that I've used** - it's digs very deep eg it lists WUs installed/missing and is really is many pages long Does anyone know the name of it please? **PS I have the...
  8. Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD: Title really says it all. I am getting my mother an upgraded MB/Processor/RAM for Xmas as she's on a MB from 2009 currently <LOL> The computer has a 1st or 2nd generation SATA 300GB HDD and the bundle package I ordered came with a brand new 1TB SATA HDD. Aside from...
  9. Best way to transfer settings and contacts to new w10 laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to transfer settings and contacts to new w10 laptop: Haven't done this in a while, and would greatly appreciate any info on how to transfer my old Windows 7 preferences, contacts and settings to a new W10 laptop. The new laptop has a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD I think the data files can be copied from the old drive to the new...
  10. Best way to set monitor scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to set monitor scaling: I have just bought the Acer Predator xb271hu monitor. It's resolution is much higher than the old one and its higher than my second monitor. I have tried using scaling to increase the text size as its a bit small for me. Unfortunately it changes the scaling on both...