Windows 10: Best way to migrate install?

Discus and support Best way to migrate install? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Helping my son upgrade his W10 PC. He's moving to an all-new system -- everything except for his SSD. His original system is at least 7 years old, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/wootcat, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Best way to migrate install?

Helping my son upgrade his W10 PC. He's moving to an all-new system -- everything except for his SSD. His original system is at least 7 years old, so I'm sure it has a ton of outdated drivers and code from when he was still running W7.

Few questions:

1. First question is just to verify that doing a fresh install of Windows 10 on his new system is the best route, rather than trying to migrate his existing system over somehow.
    2. If #1 is true, then what's the best way to handle that if all he's got is his existing SSD? I do have a spare HDD that I could use for the initial W10 install, move everything over from the SSD that he needs, wipe the SSD, install it in the new PC, install W10 on it fresh, and then move what he needs from the HDD over to the SDD. Is there a better way?
    3. If #1 is true, what is the best way to move documents, preferences, apps, app settings over to the new machine.
    4. His original W7 was a boxed retail version (not OEM). How difficult will it be to transfer his W10 license to the new machine?
    submitted by /u/wootcat
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/wootcat, Sep 27, 2020
  2. Depth Win User

Install Diablo 3 on Linux

Just install PlayOnLinux? Why did they make step 2 and 3 of this "tutorial"?

Anyway, looking at the supported software list for PlayOnLinux, D3 is a step in the right direction. Lack of gaming is a factor for a lot of people when deciding on an OS, if more recent games get ported it may help migrate them to their preferred choice.

Depth, Sep 27, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Best way to migrate install?

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

Best way to migrate install?

1. Best way to migrate install? - Similar Threads - Best migrate install

2. What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?: I just got a NVMe drive and reinstalled Windows 10. I want to copy all my settings from my old drive which I was only using for a few months. Can I copy my entire user profile or something? Thanks for any ideas! submitted by /u/zWeApOnz [link] [comments]...
  3. Best way to perform a clean installation...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to perform a clean installation...: I'm running Win 10 Pro Insider 2004 (19564.1005) and I've been noticing little problems here and there. These are very small, but at the same time, can be frustrating. Performance degradation to the point of being non usable and having to reboot, windows update doesn't always...
  4. Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system

Best way to migrate content and settings to a new system: I've searched for a solution with little luck. We have an older PC on which my daughter has an account, content and preferences. I'm passing on my system and plan to install Windows 10 clean, then want to migrate her account to the computer. I've found some paid solutions,...
  5. Best Way to Install Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best Way to Install Updates?: I would like to get a mini poll here on how people would install Windows 10 Updates? For now, I set it to Auto Download and Notify to Install from the Group Policy settings since I have the Pro version. Please provide me some feedback on how you guys do the Windows...
  6. Best way to clone a Windows Installation?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best way to clone a Windows Installation?: Hi I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but considering a lot of people have cloned their Windows installations before an upgrade or a clean install, I thought I'd try! I noticed that on my 250gb ssd, there are 3 partitions relating to the one Windows...
  7. Best Way to Install Office 2016?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Best Way to Install Office 2016?: I currently have a licence for Office 2010 for 3 PCs installed on 3 PCs. I want to retire Office 2010 on my main desktop PC and use Office 2016 instead for which I've bough a cheap single PC licence. I then want to use the spare Office 2010 licence on a fourth PC (but only...
  8. Best way to partition a clean install?

Best way to partition a clean install?: I'm likely to want to do a complete clean install, perish the thought. Or maybe I'll get a new computer. This one was fast and loaded, but it's about 6 years old now. Same considerations will apply in both cases I think. I just ran Macrium to backup Win, and find the...
  9. Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Way To Fix Corrupt Install: I think we've got a corrupt Win10 install here. A new Seagate drive had bad sectors maybe. Had all sorts of problems. So I reckon a reinstall or something. What would be the recommended way of going about this? 81415
  10. Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD

Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD: Title really says it all. I am getting my mother an upgraded MB/Processor/RAM for Xmas as she's on a MB from 2009 currently <LOL> The computer has a 1st or 2nd generation SATA 300GB HDD and the bundle package I ordered came with a brand new 1TB SATA HDD. Aside from...