Windows 10: Best Way to RAID 1 Two 500GB SSD's

Discus and support Best Way to RAID 1 Two 500GB SSD's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to setup two 500GB SSD's in a RAID 1 configuration, to be used as storage drives for CAD purposes. Could someone point me in the right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dbreet, Nov 20, 2019.

1. dbreet Win User

Best Way to RAID 1 Two 500GB SSD's

Hi,

I'm trying to setup two 500GB SSD's in a RAID 1 configuration, to be used as storage drives for CAD purposes.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to the best way to set this up?
    Does Windows 10 provide this facility or would be in a BIOS task? Its a Dell T5820 unit.

Thanks.

:)

dbreet, Nov 20, 2019
  2. Ethan Z. Win User

Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management
    Console is not up to date. It suggested I refresh it, relaunch it, or even restart my computer. I tried all three things, and it still wouldn't let me mirror the partition. Then I realized that maybe Windows won't let me create a RAID 1 Array on USB Drives,
    so I went to the original plan I was going to do and grabbed my 500GB External HDD and my 120GB External SSD (they are both USB 3.0 connected enclosures) and when I tried to mirror a partition on my 500GB HDD using my SSD, it wouldn't let me use the SSD to
    mirror it. So then I tried using my internal windows 10 SSD to mirror my HDD. But, I needed to shrink my main partition on my internal SSD and it wouldn't let me shrink it saying there was a certain amount I could shrink it to, but I could only shrink 135MB
    at max and I have 89.4GB free on that partition. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated (and by the way, if you're wondering why I'm trying to run RAID 1 on an external HDD/SSD is just for testing and more file redundancy and performance).

Ethan Z., Nov 20, 2019
  3. Steevo Win User
    Is it possible to easily setup Raid-1 on this system ?

Get the six core CPU's I listed, at 3.3Ghz per core they will more than handle any calculations you throw at them for years to come, and with matching RAM in tri channel you will have a very strong setup.

My only other suggestion is a full RAID card like the one I listed with SSD's (in RAID 1)for the OS and programs, and then a RAID 5 array for backup and any large files on the board with a offsite final backup

Steevo, Nov 20, 2019
  4. georgetok Win User

Is it possible to easily setup Raid-1 on this system ?

Thank you so much.

Dell system I am buying as a back has Xeon E5645 2.2 GHz & 12 GB ECC RAM

They don't offer Xeon W3680 that you suggested

So would that be good enough ?

Thanks

georgetok, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Best Way to RAID 1 Two 500GB SSD's - Similar Threads - Best RAID 500GB

2. Best way to transfer OS to SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to transfer OS to SSD?: I am running out of hard drive space due to installing too many games from various giveaways over the last two years.I went to install a second hard drive, only to find that there is no bay for a second conventional hard drive and no place to put/mount the second drive even...
  3. Best way to transfer OS to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best way to transfer OS to SSD?: I am running out of hard drive space due to installing too many games from various giveaways over the last two years.I went to install a second hard drive, only to find that there is no bay for a second conventional hard drive and no place to put/mount the second drive even...
  4. Best way to transfer OS to SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrade C Drive 500GB SSD to 1 or 2TB SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade C Drive 500GB SSD to 1 or 2TB SSD?: If I take my pc into my local pc man and ask him to do the above, can he guarantee crossing over ALL the data on the current drive. There is so much on there I don't want to lose anything and I don't trust restore or suchlike as its never been good to me in the past. Looking...
  6. 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD

500GB SSD to 1TB SSD: I have a 500GB SSD working in my laptop. I have a 1TB SSD in an external case. I have used EaseUS to clone them However, now my 1TB is 500GB. How do I reclaim the other 500GB? 161362
  7. 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    500GB SSD to 1TB SSD: I have a 500GB SSD working in my laptop. I have a 1TB SSD in an external case. I have used EaseUS to clone them However, now my 1TB is 500GB. How do I reclaim the other 500GB? 161362
  8. What's the best solution for a reliable RAID 1 setup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What's the best solution for a reliable RAID 1 setup: I wonder if you could kindly assist with a recommendation of the most reliable Raid 1 mirroring setup, with current implementation by BIOS, an option of Windows 10 Pro, or using Storage Spaces in Windows. The background is that my primary aim is to ensure a backup of my...
  9. Best Way to RAID 1 Two 500GB SSD's

in Windows 10 Support
    Best Way to RAID 1 Two 500GB SSD's: Hi, I'm trying to setup two 500GB SSD's in a RAID 1 configuration, to be used as storage drives for CAD purposes. Could someone point me in the right direction as to the best way to set this up? Does Windows 10 provide this facility or would be in a BIOS task? Its a Dell...
  10. 1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0

1 SSD or 2 SSD RAID-0: In preparation for Windows 10 I plan on completely resetting my hard drive configuration since I currently have it spanning four hard drives. Right now my OS sits on a 128GB SSD while all the programs, games, photos, family videos, etc. sit on a mechanical 1TB drive. I...