Windows 10: Best way to remote access personal drive from Off-site

Discus and support Best way to remote access personal drive from Off-site in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been having an issue in which a client I have has a Microsoft surface and we use shared drives on the network on a file share server to help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrendoJohnso, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Best way to remote access personal drive from Off-site

I have been having an issue in which a client I have has a Microsoft surface and we use shared drives on the network on a file share server to help with storage and easy access. I have tried using the a vpn service but still doesn't appear to work gives the error device name already in use and won't properly connect. Is there anyone that had this issue or possibly recommendations on any other type of way we can get her surface to reach the server when off-site in any way?

:)

BrendoJohnso, Mar 13, 2019
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Thelps Win User
    Ways to use ACLs to block remote network access?

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any ways to block remote system access from unauthorised parties by using ACLs?

Is Windows 10 configured with vulnerabilities in the ACL SID list? i.e. Are some of the SIDs found under the 'User, Group or Built-In Security Principal' list designed as remote access methods for users who want to connect to a Win 10 machine remotely?

Would appreciate some clarification on this as there are a lot of SIDs under "Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner (Change) > Advanced... > Find Now"

Appreciated. Best way to remote access personal drive from Off-site :).

Thelps, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Steevo Win User

Best way to remote access personal drive from Off-site

hijacked via remote network access

Sounds like you are the recipient of stolen goods. All of our work laptops have this feature where it locks the BIOS and hard disk remotely if stolen, misplaced, or after a certain number of failed access attempts to the data on the disk without the TPM key.

I would suggest returning it to wherever you bought or got it.

Steevo, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

Best way to remote access personal drive from Off-site

1. Best way to remote access personal drive from Off-site - Similar Threads - Best remote access

2. What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive?: Hello,I need guidance in following matter.What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive? Will appreciate step by step instructions of the procedure. I will be doing this process on mobile phone & not on a computer or a laptop.I have tried creating a link for...
  3. What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive?: Hello,I need guidance in following matter.What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive? Will appreciate step by step instructions of the procedure. I will be doing this process on mobile phone & not on a computer or a laptop.I have tried creating a link for...
  4. Best way to mount remote linux disk on Windows10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to mount remote linux disk on Windows10?: I've set up a linux file server at home, and want to give my father, who has a Windows10 laptop and lives elsewhere access to upload and download files from it. To make it user friendly I'd like it to be mounted (ideally automatically on boot) as a drive letter. What's the...
  5. Best way to run one predefined script remotely

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Best way to run one predefined script remotely: What's the best way to run one predefined script on a remote computer? I have two Windows 10 computers in a home network. I need to run one script (or let's say just notepad.exe), triggered remotely. I can't use TeamViewer, AnyDesk or RDC for this (explanation below). I...
  6. Best remote desktop client for accessing a Mac?

Best remote desktop client for accessing a Mac?: I'm using Windows for the first time in a very long time and want to use a remote desktop to access my MacBook on the same screen. What's the best remote desktop client to do that? Just Microsoft's remote desktop? I'm using Parsec for gaming on this computer on my Mac and...
  7. Best Way to Resize the "C Drive" Partition

Best Way to Resize the "C Drive" Partition: Hello! Does anyone know if the Windows 10 Disk Management tool is the best way to resize a partition? I would like to shrink the partition that the "C" drive is on, and I'm a bit nervous about resizing it while I'm running Windows. Is it okay to use the Disk Management tool...
  8. remote hard drive access

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    remote hard drive access: Hello; I replaced a hard drive in a laptop with a SSD cloned, it works fine. Bought a case for the drive removed, but when I connect it via usb, the drive powers up, and I get the icon showing a usb connection, but the drive doesn't show up in the tree. I left the...
  9. What is the best way to access another drive with another windows?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is the best way to access another drive with another windows?: I have an HDD with windows 10 and just got an SSD with a fresh w10 install. Normally I would reboot to choose which drive to load from. Then move it from Documents to public so I can transfer it. Is there a better way for me to retrieve data from the HDD and move it to...
  10. Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive: Hi, I have a Win 8.1 and I do not want to upgrade to Win 10, first concernes are about the lak of all Drivers (Sound, LAN,WLAN,BT). Before the Free Upgrade ends I thought to do a Image of my Win 8.1 Partition, upgrade it and see how it goes. Now, my HDD is 1TB, there are...