Windows 10: Best way to set up a new PC to match existing old PC - possible?

Discus and support Best way to set up a new PC to match existing old PC - possible? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My current PC (Win 10) has 4G RAM and is +10 yrs old. According to Google the RAM is not upgradeable. I am considering upgrading to a new PC. All my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jeddie, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Jeddie Win User

Best way to set up a new PC to match existing old PC - possible?

My current PC (Win 10) has 4G RAM and is +10 yrs old. According to Google the RAM is not upgradeable. I am considering upgrading to a new PC.

All my music/photos/documents are backed up via MR to external HDD.

I am dreading setting up a new PC. There is so much stuff to download & then setup;

• All my apps and their settings
    • Chrome Brower and extensions
    • Windows settings (Themes, Network, etc)
    • File history settings
    • Controlled folder settings
    • Microsoft Office 2016
    • etc

Is there an easy way? Guess I can’t use my system image from old PC and use it on new PC?
    Or do I just have to start from scratch on the new PC?

How do you guys do this?

:)

Jeddie, Nov 15, 2019

2. Windows 10 License question - New PC and old computer still exists.

Hi Microsoft Community!

I'm in the process of assembling a new PC and am going to give the old PC to my younger brother. I want to transfer my existing license to the new computer and if possible "de-license" the old one. These are the particulars:

• My Windows 10 license was purchased on the Microsoft website and originally activated with a product key.
    • I still have this product key.
    • I have since formatted the PC and after re-installing Windows 10 the activation is now with a digital license.
    • I prefer using local accounts on my PC and thus haven't created a Microsoft account enabled user.

My question is how to best go about transferring the license? Can I just format the old PC and activate my license on the new PC with the product key? If I do that will I get a problem when my brother installs Windows on the old computer again, since it
    now has a digital license?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Daniel Door, Nov 15, 2019
  3. old PC files xfr to new PC

I have a new Dell PC. My old HP crashed. I'm trying to recover the data on the old PC. Any suggestions

GordonMontney, Nov 15, 2019
  4. Best way to set up a new PC to match existing old PC - possible?

Beginner – Transferring files from old PC to new PC, both running windows 10.

I'm trying to find a solution in layman terms please.

Bought a new PC running windows 10, my existing PC runs windows 10 and I just want to transfer everything from old to new machine – what is the best way to do this so that when I go to my new PC it's effectively set up the same as my old PC?

I use Microsoft Outlook 2013 for my email and I'm about to buy a copy of office 2016.

I intend to use windows 10 backup to copy my files to an external drive on my old PC, can I then use this backup to restore the files to my new PC?

Also, can anyone suggest a good antivirus/malware program to run on my old PC to make sure not taking any "problems" with me?

All help gratefully appreciated.

Gary Gary Gary, Nov 15, 2019
Thema:

Best way to set up a new PC to match existing old PC - possible?

1. Best way to set up a new PC to match existing old PC - possible? - Similar Threads - Best set match

2. Setting up a new PC!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setting up a new PC!: Hi again, is changing stuff to a new PC very daunting? I have had my Lenovo laptop about 7 years now, I am thinking of buying a new one maybe Desktop this time. Am I right in saying because I have a Microsoft account it is pretty straightforward? I sync most things to...
  3. Setting up a new PC!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a new PC!: Hi again, is changing stuff to a new PC very daunting? I have had my Lenovo laptop about 7 years now, I am thinking of buying a new one maybe Desktop this time. Am I right in saying because I have a Microsoft account it is pretty straightforward? I sync most things to...
  4. Setting up a new PC!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Best way to set up for a family

in Windows 10 Customization
    Best way to set up for a family: I'm looking for some advice about best way to set up surface pros for myself and my partner. We had one surface pro which we've had a little while. I had my windows account linked to this with Office 365. We've just got an additional surface pro. I want to use the new...
  6. Best way to transfer data/settings from old laptop to new laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to transfer data/settings from old laptop to new laptop?: About a month ago I bought a laptop and since then I've found the same laptop with better specs. I bought the upgraded laptop and I'm going to return the old one. What's the best/easiest way to transfer all my data and settings from the old machine to the new one? submitted...
  7. New PC set up

New PC set up: While setting up a new PC the screen reduced itself to a small box in the center of the screen. How can I restore it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-pc-set-up/235b124e-3c36-4449-b0fd-98537f1a68c9
  8. setting up a new pc

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting up a new pc: Setting up a new pc when i entered my account and password it just stays on the account tab saying just a moment. what can i do to move on setting up my PC?...
  9. Best way to speed up PC?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best way to speed up PC?: What’s the best way to speed up a slow PC without using any of the conventional methods, i.e. downloading optimizers, disk cleanup, restore/factory reset, etc.? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Steve 114916
  10. New Build with new and old parts, best way to install...

New Build with new and old parts, best way to install...: Hey guys, I am rebuilding my systems, going to take apart the two I have now and build a new one with new parts as well as old parts from the two systems, its mostly going to be new parts. The system specs I have in this forum is of the PC that I use to...