Windows 10: Best way to set up for a family

Discus and support Best way to set up for a family in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm looking for some advice about best way to set up surface pros for myself and my partner. We had one surface pro which we've had a little while. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by werdna101-MS, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Best way to set up for a family

I'm looking for some advice about best way to set up surface pros for myself and my partner.

We had one surface pro which we've had a little while. I had my windows account linked to this with Office 365.

We've just got an additional surface pro. I want to use the new surface pro as my main PC and my partner will use the old surface pro as her main PC. I have upgraded to Office 365 family and have added my partner as a family member.

The question is what's the best way to set up the surface pros so that we're both able to be admins on our respective surface pros and we're able to sign in with windows hello? Is it best to do a factory reset on the old surface pro and set my partner up as the admin user? Or is there a way that we can remove my data from that surface pro without a factory reset?

:)

werdna101-MS, Nov 26, 2020

2. Family settings was not working properly I removed a child from the family settings. now I cannot access that account

Hi Nick,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

Kindly try the below methods and check if this helps.

Method 1:

Run the Family Safety Troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Family Safety Troubleshooter

Method 2:

I suggest you to delete the corrupted files yourself and see if it helps to resolve the issue, please follow these steps:

1) Make sure your children are signed out of any monitored accounts.

2) Sign in with an administrator account and find the folder that contains the corrupted files.

There are two ways to do this. The easiest way is to enter the complete file path:

• On the Start screen, type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press Enter.

• If you’d rather open each folder individually, follow these steps:
    a. Go to This PC

b. Open C:, open the
    ProgramData folder, open the Microsoft folder, open the
    Windows folder, and open the Parental Controls folder.

3) Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.

This will delete any corrupt files. Your settings will be downloaded again from familysafety.microsoft.com the next time you sign in.

I also suggest you to refer the below Microsoft article and check if this helps.

Set up your family

What is a Microsoft family group?

Hope it helps. Reply with the result and I'll be happy to help you further.

Thank you

ThofikhAhamad, Nov 26, 2020
  3. How to turn off Family safety settings

Hello Michael,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are trying to remove the family safety settings. We will help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps you regarding the
    family safety settings.

Turn off family settings in Windows 10

• To turn off family settings for a child in your family, sign in at account.microsoft.com/family. Then choose one of these
      options:
      • Remove them from family settings by choosing Remove, then selecting their account, then selecting
        Remove again. They’ll still be able to sign in to their PCs, but this will remove any family limits that you set.
      • Or select them from the main family page, which will bring you to their Recent activity. If
        Activity reporting is turned On, turn it
        Off.
        Then repeat for the other settings pages (Web browsing, Apps, games & media, Screen time, Purchase & spending), making sure that those switches are turned
        Off.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Best way to set up for a family

How to delete an adult account in the Family Settings.

Hi,

To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• As an adult in the family account, sign in with your Microsoft account.
    • Under Your family, click
      Remove
    • Click the child account you want to remove, and click Remove.
    • You will get an email confirmation once the child has been removed from the family.
    Note: If you removed a Child account, it will be tagged as an "Orphaned account" and you will need to attach another "Parent account".

Regards.

Melowin Mar, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

Best way to set up for a family

1. Best way to set up for a family - Similar Threads - Best set family

2. Best way to save softwares & applications settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to save softwares & applications settings: Hello guys, tl;dr : Do you know guys any tool that just copy paste all the settings from my app ? So when it's reinstalled, I have nothing to do ? For some reasons, I tend to reset my computer a lot. By that, I mean booting windows 10 from an USB device, erase my current...
  3. Best way to back up my data

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best way to back up my data: Hi Experts, What is the best way to back up my data, which does not recopy entire data but copies the delta changes and also ensure my data is backed up. Hope, I don't have to buy software. Thanks in advance 171065
  4. Best way to back up my data

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to back up my data: Hi Experts, What is the best way to back up my data, which does not recopy entire data but copies the delta changes and also ensure my data is backed up. Hope, I don't have to buy software. Thanks in advance 171065
  5. Best way to clean up/ delete files?

Best way to clean up/ delete files?: I’ve been trying to run a virus scan on my Windows 10 laptop, but every time I run it my laptop overheats. I apparently have over 300k files. Is their any way I can lessen these files so my computer doesn’t overheat? (I don’t know anything that would help besides %temp% and...
  6. Best way to speed up computer.

Best way to speed up computer.: I've been reading a lot about how windows 10 will get slower over time. What's the best way to speed the computer up again? I've seen a lot about how you should reinstall windows, but I would prefer another option. submitted by /u/FeenixFobia [link] [comments]...
  7. family set up

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    family set up: I am trying to set up my family's 3 computers. I just finished setting up my first computer and all my files from my home computer are now showing up on my daughter's new laptop. This is after I set up it up so that she signs in the computer as a local user. I'm confused...
  8. Best way to have a default set of applications and windows settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to have a default set of applications and windows settings: Hello all! I'm trying to wrap my head around creating a profile that has default applications and windows settings in a domain. Please shed some light. I've read on roaming profiles but not quite sure if this will be necessary for my environment. 148502
  9. Best way to speed up PC?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best way to speed up PC?: What’s the best way to speed up a slow PC without using any of the conventional methods, i.e. downloading optimizers, disk cleanup, restore/factory reset, etc.? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Steve 114916
  10. Best way to set monitor scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to set monitor scaling: I have just bought the Acer Predator xb271hu monitor. It's resolution is much higher than the old one and its higher than my second monitor. I have tried using scaling to increase the text size as its a bit small for me. Unfortunately it changes the scaling on both...