Windows 10: Best way to set up new laptop since Easy Transfer is not available.

Discus and support Best way to set up new laptop since Easy Transfer is not available. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am setting up a new laptop Windows 10 64-bit. My old laptop also runs Windows 10 64-bit. What is the best way to transfer all my settings, files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by J__Mac, Apr 29, 2019.

1. J__Mac Win User

Best way to set up new laptop since Easy Transfer is not available.

I am setting up a new laptop Windows 10 64-bit. My old laptop also runs Windows 10 64-bit. What is the best way to transfer all my settings, files, etc. from my old laptop to my new one? Last time I did this I used Windows Easy Transfer, but I understand that is no longer available.

:)

J__Mac, Apr 29, 2019

2. Easy Way to Transfer Account Settings

I think I have a corrupted Windows Account. I could not find an easy way to transfer my existing one to a new one I made. Also the new account has a different name under users since I cannot use my original name.

Any suggestions on how to solve these two problems?

Jon Wilbur Tan, Apr 29, 2019
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Is there an easy way to transfer account information to a new account

It's not a common issue, and transferring your files to a new user account is easy.

You can transfer all your personal folders, namely:

• desktop (see below,)
    • documents,
    • music,
    • pictures, and
    • video.

What you see on your desktop is actually a combination of three things:

• the contents of your user account's desktop folder;
    • the contents of the Public account's desktop folder; and
    • Windows system objects, like the Recycle Bin.

The key to doing this successfully is understanding that your personal files belong to the user account where they are
    now. Your new user account is completely separate. You know that both the old and the new user account are yours, but Windows doesn't know that, and that's by design.

The new user account needs to take possession of the files from your old user account, so those files will belong to the new user account. Once you understand this, the rest is easy. I'll give you a summary of the steps below. There's more than one way to
    do this, but this method is easy:

1- Sign in to a user account with Administrator permissions.

2- Navigate to C:\Users\Public

The contents of the Public account are available to every other user account on the computer.

3- Create a new folder in C:\Users\Public

4- Navigate to your old user account and copy the folders described above to the new folder you created under the Public folder.

As soon as you try to open a folder in your 'old' user account, Windows will ask if you want to have permission to access that folder. The real question it's asking is: Do you want the Administrator account to have the same access to this folder as your
    old account has? And the answer is yes, of course. Your old user account can move those folders anywhere it likes, and now your Administrator account can do that too.

5- As a precaution, try to open some of the files that you moved to the Public account, just to make sure everything transferred correctly.

6- Create a new user account.

7- Sign out of the Administrator account and sign in to your new user account.

8- Move the contents of the folders you copied to the Public account to the corresponding folders in your new account.

9- As a precaution, try to open some of the files that you moved to the new user account, just to make sure everything transferred correctly.

Now you can erase the folders from the Public account and delete the old user account.

BulldogXX, Apr 29, 2019
  4. Best way to set up new laptop since Easy Transfer is not available.

Is there an easy way to transfer account information to a new account

I have a login on Windows 10 that has become corrupted (cannot access certain apps including mail and settings), but all other logins on the same PC work fine. So, I believe the issue is with the user account and based on other suggestions I have gotten,
    it appears that I will need to set up a new account on the computer.

My question: Is there an easy way to transfer the files from the old account to the new account? It seems like this is a common issue and I would think that Microsoft would have come up with a way to do this easily.

Also, I cannot set up the new account with my Microsoft login or map my email to the new account, because there is another account on the computer with the same information (e.g. the corrupted account). I do not want to erase the old/corrupt account without
    having the new one completely set up first.

Is there some way to do this?

AlexanderBrock, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

Best way to set up new laptop since Easy Transfer is not available.

1. Best way to set up new laptop since Easy Transfer is not available. - Similar Threads - Best set laptop

2. Best way to transfer OS to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best way to transfer OS to SSD?: I am running out of hard drive space due to installing too many games from various giveaways over the last two years.I went to install a second hard drive, only to find that there is no bay for a second conventional hard drive and no place to put/mount the second drive even...
  3. Best way to set up for a family

in Windows 10 Customization
    Best way to set up for a family: I'm looking for some advice about best way to set up surface pros for myself and my partner. We had one surface pro which we've had a little while. I had my windows account linked to this with Office 365. We've just got an additional surface pro. I want to use the new...
  4. Best way to transfer data/settings from old laptop to new laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to transfer data/settings from old laptop to new laptop?: About a month ago I bought a laptop and since then I've found the same laptop with better specs. I bought the upgraded laptop and I'm going to return the old one. What's the best/easiest way to transfer all my data and settings from the old machine to the new one? submitted...
  5. New computer: easy way to transfer from old computer?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    New computer: easy way to transfer from old computer?: My daughter has a Surface Tablet 4 and just bought a Surface Tablet 7 both with Windows 10. Is there an easy way to transfer all her user data, email, programs, etc, to the new computer..? Or just start copying it all over and installing the programs she uses..? 162079
  6. Best way to fix BSOD on new laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to fix BSOD on new laptop.: A laptop I bought recently has decided to BSOD on occassion. Scans and DISM have done nothing and drivers are updated. Error is a CRITICAL PROCESS DIED and it happens at random. submitted by /u/Elite_wildwolf [link] [comments]...
  7. I have a new, better laptop. What's the best way to set it up please.

I have a new, better laptop. What's the best way to set it up please.: I bought a Lenovo Y520-151KBN some months ago - at that time I'd been having lots of problems with OneDrive and WU and also some major home improvements, so I decided not to set it up. OneDrive & WU have been resolved so at last I now have the time to set it up. I'm fairly...
  8. best way to transfer windows 10 files to new computer

best way to transfer windows 10 files to new computer: whats the better method to transfer windows 10 files to new computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/best-way-to-transfer-windows-10-files-to-new/2922c285-4f96-485e-8e12-20c76c191411
  9. Easy Way to Transfer Account Settings

Easy Way to Transfer Account Settings: I think I have a corrupted Windows Account. I could not find an easy way to transfer my existing one to a new one I made. Also the new account has a different name under users since I cannot use my original name. Any suggestions on how to solve these two problems?...
  10. Best way to transfer settings and contacts to new w10 laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to transfer settings and contacts to new w10 laptop: Haven't done this in a while, and would greatly appreciate any info on how to transfer my old Windows 7 preferences, contacts and settings to a new W10 laptop. The new laptop has a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD I think the data files can be copied from the old drive to the new...