Windows 10: Best way to STOP Updates for 32 bit OFFICE on 64 bit Install!!!!!!!!!

Discus and support Best way to STOP Updates for 32 bit OFFICE on 64 bit Install!!!!!!!!! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I do not know how or why this happened on my wifes system as it has been OK for months. We have 64 bit Win 10 Pro and 64 bit Office 2016 Pro. Updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MPSAN, Mar 8, 2017.

1. MPSAN Win User

Best way to STOP Updates for 32 bit OFFICE on 64 bit Install!!!!!!!!!

I do not know how or why this happened on my wifes system as it has been OK for months.
    We have 64 bit Win 10 Pro and 64 bit Office 2016 Pro. Updates are OK.

All of a sudden, yesterday she started getting updates for her 64 bit Office 2016 Pro AND 32 bit Office 2010. I can see an Office14 in her ProgramFiles(x86) but we do not have or did we ever install an Office 2010 64 bit or 32 bit.

So, Can I go to Windows Update and security and remove all the Office 2010 32 bit updates and then remove the Office14 Directory?

:)

MPSAN, Mar 8, 2017
  2. KClarkCHS Win User

Windows Update Error - Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2965253) 32-Bit Edition - Error 0x80240017

I keep receiving a notification that an update is necessary to be installed on my Surface Pro4. Running Windows 10 and Office 2013 -both are 64 bit. The update I keep getting notified about is Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2965253) 32-Bit Edition,
    followed by this error: Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2965253) 32-Bit Edition - Error 0x80240017. Since I'm running Office 64-bit, how do i get this update to recognize my version of Office and stop trying to install?

Thanks!

KClarkCHS, Mar 8, 2017
  3. windows mobile device center 6.1 x64 deleted all my contacts from my phone

Hello. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that data is not recoverable. I am willing to bet that you have installed Office 2010 64-bit. The deletion of info is the result of WMDC 64-bit incompatability with Outlook 64-bit. The only way to stop this
    from happening and syncing the phone is to install Office 2010 32-bit on your 64-bit system. Hopefully, you synced recently with your old XP system and won't lose too much...

Resourceful, Mar 8, 2017
  4. MPSAN Win User

OK, I think I see what did it. It was a Brother software package that trys to install into a Office 2010 directory and creates one if it is not there. Still, can I remove the windows updates and remove the Office14 directory?

MPSAN, Mar 8, 2017
  5. You should remove the software that installed it via the Remove Program feature in Windows. Any software installed that has to do with anything Office 2010 will trigger a Windows Update for that piece of software even if you don't personally use it, or didn't even install it. Windows will update any software that there is an update for, so just removing that folder/piece will only solve it for the time being. The next time you run the software that installed it you will probably have the same thing happen.

Bobby Phoenix, Mar 9, 2017
  6. MPSAN Win User
    Thank you. What I may try is to remove the updates in windows then remove the office14 folder. I THINK that the Brother software added this during install and the options now show NOT to add it to Excel and Word, etc. However, I hope that once this had been installed my wife can use the software without it recreating the Office14 folder.

MPSAN, Mar 9, 2017
  7. MPSAN Win User
    Well. I went to Windows Update and removed all the Office 2010 32 bit updates. I then went to the Software Distributions download directory and removed all there. I then went to program files(x86) microsoft office and removed OFFICE14 and rebooted. When I did an Update again, it tried to install the Office 32 bit updates again! I guess the next step is to remove the Brother p-touch edit software. It is what caused it, but I thought that once it was installed, it would leave me alone!

MPSAN, Mar 10, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Well of course it would, all the registry settings say it's still installed.

Deleting office14 in program files(x86) does NOT uninstall it. You were specifically told to...
    ...because that would have removed the registry settings too.

9. MPSAN Win User
    OK...I understand. I will try to do what I did before and include removing the p-touch editor! I believe it even has an uninstall, but I can use the Control Panel. If that does work, I can ask Brother how to use their software and have it leave Office...any version...alone. I had hoped that we could use the software without removing it. It would be great if I could just find the reg entry to remove the program entry that messes with Office!

MPSAN, Mar 10, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Well you can... just put up with the 32-bit updates. They won't have any effect on your 64-bit Office, just an annoying irrelevance really.

You could try removing it, then reinstall and look carefully to see if there's a custom install option that leaves out the Office 2010 bits. Or check their website to see if a more up to date installer is available.

11. MPSAN Win User
    Well, I did send Brother an email so I will see what they say. Why they want a 32 bit version is clear as they do not use 64 bit office. However, I ONLY have Office2016 64 bit, and yes, that does have an entry in program files (x86) but there is no reason Brother should make it look like I have Office 2010! Also, I do have the most up to date windows 10 64 bit installer for the driver and the software. I have thought of just putting up with the updates but want to try and fix this. Also, I believe this is just bad programming on Brothers part. The editor does not require Office at all...it just adds a quick addin to Office!

MPSAN, Mar 11, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Yes, does sound like bad programming, the Office add-in should really have been made an option as part of a custom install, or at the very least - check that Office 2010 is actually installed before adding the add-in!

13. MPSAN Win User

To make it even "badder" they have an addin manager once the software is installed to enable or disable an addin for Word and Excel, but if you only have 64 bit Office it is grayed out. So why are they installing in the first place?!

MPSAN, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Best way to STOP Updates for 32 bit OFFICE on 64 bit Install!!!!!!!!! - Similar Threads - Best STOP Updates

2. Installing 32 bit Microsoft office instead of 64 bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing 32 bit Microsoft office instead of 64 bit: I am having issues with uninstalling Microsoft 365 64 bit and installing a 32 bit so I can download the Visio program 32 bit. When I go to uniinstall anything related to office, it comes up with "please wait until current program is finished uninstalling or being changed" Any...
  3. Installing 32 bit Microsoft office instead of 64 bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing 32 bit Microsoft office instead of 64 bit: I am having issues with uninstalling Microsoft 365 64 bit and installing a 32 bit so I can download the Visio program 32 bit. When I go to uniinstall anything related to office, it comes up with "please wait until current program is finished uninstalling or being changed" Any...
  4. Installing 32 bit Microsoft office instead of 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. NEED TO DOWNGRADE FROM 64 BIT TO 32 BIT WHAT'S THE BEST WAY??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NEED TO DOWNGRADE FROM 64 BIT TO 32 BIT WHAT'S THE BEST WAY??: Prefer this OS . I have a flash drive with 32 bit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-downgrade-from-64-bit-to-32-bit-whats-the/e67aab46-e111-4518-aca4-c5262e0988c4
  6. NEED TO DOWNGRADE FROM 64 BIT TO 32 BIT WHAT'S THE BEST WAY??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NEED TO DOWNGRADE FROM 64 BIT TO 32 BIT WHAT'S THE BEST WAY??: Prefer this OS . I have a flash drive with 32 bit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-downgrade-from-64-bit-to-32-bit-whats-the/e67aab46-e111-4518-aca4-c5262e0988c4
  7. NEED TO DOWNGRADE FROM 64 BIT TO 32 BIT WHAT'S THE BEST WAY??

in Windows 10 Customization
    NEED TO DOWNGRADE FROM 64 BIT TO 32 BIT WHAT'S THE BEST WAY??: Prefer this OS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-downgrade-from-64-bit-to-32-bit-whats-the/e67aab46-e111-4518-aca4-c5262e0988c4
  8. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    32 bit to 64 bit: can I upgrade my 32 bit to 64 bit plz help me I nwanna play fortnite https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/67efd3f2-6406-4c88-9aa7-667bf8b42650
  9. Office 32-bit vs Office 64-bit issue

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 32-bit vs Office 64-bit issue: I've run in to a strange issue that I'm not finding a solution for. I have four employees who are working on spreadsheets. File A and File B track information from two different teams. File C pulls data from A and B, then displays it all together. The files are located in the...
  10. 64 bit to 32 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    64 bit to 32 bit: Have a Asus laptop with 64 bit system loaded win10 64 bit used 89% of ram contacted Asus unit not suitable for win 10 is there a way to run win10 32 bit on a 64 bit system as this should use less ram. . 39318