Windows 10: Best way to test internet connection speeds

Discus and support Best way to test internet connection speeds in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the most reliable way to test my internet connection. I normally use speedtest.net but i discovered I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by merkk, Feb 11, 2020.

1. merkk Win User

Best way to test internet connection speeds

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the most reliable way to test my internet connection. I normally use speedtest.net but i discovered I get completely different results depending on what browser i use. My speeds will show up as 200mbps or 600-700mbps for up or down, depending on which browser i use. My ISP said my connection should be 400mbps up and down.

And related to this - are there any steps I should take in terms of windows settings to make sure I have an optimal connection?

Even though some of these speed tests show I am getting 600-700mbps, in any practical application i've never come close to that. The fastest I have seen anything come down/up is 200-300mbps. Uploading to dropbox is stupidly slow. Uploading to amazon is slow (although my backup program is doing some encryption so that might be slowing it down). Downloading any large files from various applications/sites and still only see 200-300mbps.

This is windows 10 x64. And my ethernet connection does says it's 1 gbps. And I do not have any sort of metering turned on in windows, or on my router.

:)

merkk, Feb 11, 2020

2. Internet connection speeds

I'm really curious about this, considering the amount of hoopla every major internet connection provider likes to claim about their services, and many times exaggerated just to help their own sales . . .

So, with that in mind, anyone willing to post up their download/upload connection speeds, and we can see just how much of a difference there is in the various internet connection types.

Hit up Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test, choose the location closest to your home and begin the test, afterwards, copy and paste your result here. Also, please list what type of connection you have (dial-up, cable, DSL, VDSL, FiOS, etc) - if you are running through an ethernet connection, please also list whether it's a direct connection, or your LAN/WiFi connection speeds.

So, I guess I'lll start:

Verizon standard DSL - D-Link 802.11g 54Mbps

Best way to test internet connection speeds 189114715.png

imperialreign, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Asus N580VD slow internet speed

Hi Blair,

There are several factors that affect your internet speed. A few would be connection speed, network traffic, hardware capability, and type of connection. To help us identify what might be causing the slow internet speed on your laptop, allow me to ask the
    following information:

• How's your laptop connected to the network? Is it directly wired to the modem/router or wirelessly connected?
    • Were your other computers that were getting 100 Mbps download speed connected to the same network?
    • Were there other devices connected to the network while you tried to download?
    • Have you tried connecting your laptop to a different network? Did you get the same internet speed?

In the meantime, please run a speed test on your laptop. If the internet speed is slower that your internet package, then you may try to update the drivers of your network adapters to ensure that it's up-to-date. Please check out and follow the steps provided
    on this link: Update drivers in Windows 10.

If you're trying to download while your laptop is wirelessly connected to your network, then kindly check its wireless adapter speed by checking its Wireless Network Connection Status. Follow these steps:

1. Right-click the wireless icon on your system tray, click Open Network & Internet settings, then click
      Wi-Fi.
    2. On the right pane, click Change adapter options.
    3. Right-click your Wireless Network Connection and click
      Status

Please take a screenshot of the status page and kindly include it on your reply.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Best way to test internet connection speeds - Similar Threads - Best test internet

2. Internet speed test lagging on laptop but fine on mobile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet speed test lagging on laptop but fine on mobile: My laptop model is BOHK-WAX9X. Recently I have been having internet speed test issues whereby Ookla works seamlessly on my mobile devices iPad, phone etc. and has rapid fluctuations of internet speeds, whereas my laptop tests are showing laggy, intermittent changes in speed...
  3. Does doing many internet speed test runs at a time decrease internet speed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does doing many internet speed test runs at a time decrease internet speed?: I do multiple internet speed test runs at time multiple times throughout the day. Is this bad for my internet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-doing-many-internet-speed-test-runs-at-a-time/2a0da543-1a2b-4376-aca5-87bf5e6358ad
  4. Does doing many internet speed test runs at a time decrease internet speed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does doing many internet speed test runs at a time decrease internet speed?: I do multiple internet speed test runs at time multiple times throughout the day. Is this bad for my internet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-doing-many-internet-speed-test-runs-at-a-time/2a0da543-1a2b-4376-aca5-87bf5e6358ad
  5. Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow internet, yet "speed test" says OK.: I have recently started experiencing really slow download speeds on every screen when I am using Microsoft Edge,Trying "windows repair" instructions there was a software download called Restoro, that told me I had lots of errors on everything, especially Miscrosoft Edge. But...
  6. Best way to speed up computer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to speed up computer.: I've been reading a lot about how windows 10 will get slower over time. What's the best way to speed the computer up again? I've seen a lot about how you should reinstall windows, but I would prefer another option. submitted by /u/FeenixFobia [link] [comments]...
  7. Varying Internet Speed Test Results on PC's Connected To Same Network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Varying Internet Speed Test Results on PC's Connected To Same Network.: I have 3 machines that are running Windows 10 Pro 1803, two of which are Laptops (1 x Acer TMP453-MG & 1 x MSI GE70-2PE). The MSI is for work exclusively and the Acer is primarily for multimedia stuff. I use the laptops at home and at work. At home I have a Huawei B315 LTE...
  8. internet speed test on win 10 pc

internet speed test on win 10 pc: how do i check my network speed on a windows 10 PC. when i use the internet speed test on the web i get 77.8 mbps. i m paying my internet provider for 400 mbps Where is the disconnect. Something seems a little strange to me. cannot get help from internet provider....
  9. Best way to speed up PC?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best way to speed up PC?: What’s the best way to speed up a slow PC without using any of the conventional methods, i.e. downloading optimizers, disk cleanup, restore/factory reset, etc.? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Steve 114916
  10. Win speed test different from Speed test.

Win speed test different from Speed test.: My laptop, a Dell Studio 1535 running WIN 10, is ethernet connected to my Century Link 1000A modem/router, When I run the speed test, on the laptop, provided by windows it displays 5.?? mbit upload and a 5.?? download. When I run SpeedTest I get a 5.?? upload and a 47 mbit...