Windows 10: Best way to transfer files and program data from one desktop to a laptop?

Discus and support Best way to transfer files and program data from one desktop to a laptop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad) has been my work computer while I’m at college, but since covid broke out, my laptop’s battery failed and I’ve had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/obsidian629, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Best way to transfer files and program data from one desktop to a laptop?

My laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad) has been my work computer while I’m at college, but since covid broke out, my laptop’s battery failed and I’ve had to transition to using my desktop as my work computer. When I go back to school in the fall, I’ll be taking both my desktop and my old laptop (a 2016 MS Surface Book). While it’s easy to login into websites on the “new” laptop (the SB), there are a lot of files and programs (particularly ones consisting of code linked to GitHub) that I don’t know how to transfer to my laptop. I also have lots of long PDFs related to research and Excel/Word documents I need to transfer.

What’s the best way to transfer these files and programs?

(I also don’t know how to log into Excel via my school credentials on my laptop. The email I have associated with MS Office is not technically a Microsoft account, but rather a university email where MS Office comes included as part of tuition. Help here would be appreciated, too.)

submitted by /u/obsidian629
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/obsidian629, Jun 3, 2020
  2. dan99t Win User

How do I transfer data from desktop to Laptop ?

Hi,

I am travelling & taking my desktop's 500 GB Hard Disk ( with data & OS ) with me. Once I reach my destination I will be buying a Laptop there & want to transfer the data from my desktop's HDD to Laptop's HDD.

Without an access to desktop there, how do I transfer data from my desktop's HDD to Laptop's HDD ?

Thanks

dan99t, Jun 3, 2020
  3. USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Jun 3, 2020
  4. Best way to transfer files and program data from one desktop to a laptop?

Quick ways to transfer large data files to another pc

Either network or connecting the laptop drive to your PC as suggested above. With only 20GB of data the performance difference isn't that relevant.

DanTheBanjoman, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

Best way to transfer files and program data from one desktop to a laptop?

1. Best way to transfer files and program data from one desktop to a laptop? - Similar Threads - Best transfer files

2. What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive?: Hello,I need guidance in following matter.What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive? Will appreciate step by step instructions of the procedure. I will be doing this process on mobile phone & not on a computer or a laptop.I have tried creating a link for...
  3. What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive?: Hello,I need guidance in following matter.What is the best way to move files & photos from One Drive? Will appreciate step by step instructions of the procedure. I will be doing this process on mobile phone & not on a computer or a laptop.I have tried creating a link for...
  4. Best way to transfer OS to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best way to transfer OS to SSD?: I am running out of hard drive space due to installing too many games from various giveaways over the last two years.I went to install a second hard drive, only to find that there is no bay for a second conventional hard drive and no place to put/mount the second drive even...
  5. What’s the best way to transfer my data from my boot drive to a different one

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What’s the best way to transfer my data from my boot drive to a different one: I got a new SSD and I’m trying to transfer my data to my new SSD submitted by /u/EthanB222 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kkn8cj/whats_the_best_way_to_transfer_my_data_from_my/
  6. Best way to transfer data/settings from old laptop to new laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to transfer data/settings from old laptop to new laptop?: About a month ago I bought a laptop and since then I've found the same laptop with better specs. I bought the upgraded laptop and I'm going to return the old one. What's the best/easiest way to transfer all my data and settings from the old machine to the new one? submitted...
  7. Best way to transfer your data and programs from Win10 system to a new computer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to transfer your data and programs from Win10 system to a new computer.: There is a plenty of locked threads all around this community, with people keep asking this question. Short answer is usually - there is no way, you should reinstall all programs from scratch. But that's not true. For 15 years already I transfer my Windows systems from one...
  8. best way to copy files/folders from desktop to laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    best way to copy files/folders from desktop to laptop?: Wanting to copy my desktop documents folder to my laptop when there is already a documents folder on my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-way-to-copy-filesfolders-from-desktop-to/06a5a886-9808-4959-9064-12200860237f"
  9. Transfer of files/data from old computer to new one

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer of files/data from old computer to new one: I have a Dell 'all in one' desk top Inspiron One 2330 (Windows 10) which is failing and not worth repairing. I have purchased another Dell 'all in one' desktop model 3475 also Windows 10. My question is how can I transfer all files and data from the old computer to the new...
  10. Best way to transfer files and programs between two Win 10 PCs?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best way to transfer files and programs between two Win 10 PCs?: I just received a new Win 10 PC with a 500 Gb SSD for my primary drive (OS and programs) and an internal 1Tb conventional HDD for my data (library). I would like to transfer my programs and files from my existing Win 10 PC to my new PC. My existing PC has two conventional...