Windows 10: Best way to update drivers

Discus and support Best way to update drivers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Best way to update drivers I recently purchase a laptop and want to know a few things about driver update Firstly i discovered there a few ways... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ArchitGuptaJBP, May 7, 2016.

1. Best way to update drivers

Best way to update drivers

I recently purchase a laptop and want to know a few things about driver update

Firstly i discovered there a few ways by which one can update drivers but i want too know which one of these is better and should be preferred :

1) Driver provided on equipment manufacturer website like Dell and HP

2) Driver provided on component manufacturer website like Nvidia, AMD & Intel

3) Update driver by going to Device Manager then right click then update driver

4) Driver provided by Windows 10 Update

PS: I also noted while trying to update driver by auto detect by Intel. It told me that it detected that a custom driver provided by OEM installed on my device and I should go with it and not generic driver provided by Intel (Does this mean I should go with driver provided by OEM and not by component manufacturer & does the same goes true for graphic card, sound card, network etc)

:)

ArchitGuptaJBP, May 7, 2016

2. Best Way To Update To Anna ?

By the way I updated OTA

no1_slumko, May 7, 2016
  3. Best Way To Update To Anna ?

@blackrain

You pose an interesting question and in view of issues reported I am coming around to thinking that if you are intending updating using
    Ovi Suite i.e. complete firmware update rather than incremental FOTA that
    reset maybe a good idea, probably can let you know the result of this procedure later today or tomorrow.

Note that all media content upon mass memory would be
    deleted
    and Ovi Maps v3.06 is now included in Symbian Anna firmware. I don't think Ovi Store could be more of a mess with updates failing on new installation but I maybe wrong in this respect.

Ironically if firmware update installed by Nokia Care Point then all media content and regional mapping can be installed at the same time!

aspergerguy, May 7, 2016
  4. Best way to update drivers

1) Well tested on hardware, but usually outdated, it can sometimes cause problems, which are fixed in a new version.

2) The latest version, generally used as the best option, occasionally new drivers might cause issues, especially GPU.

3) It is used only, when automatic installer fails to update the driver or the driver is distributed as cab by Microsoft.

4) This one is tricky, it is mostly outdated and sometimes it replaces a good working driver, but generally it is OK.

Then there are driver updaters like DriverEasy, it is good for checking for new drivers, but not to download via it.

P.S.: Yes, OEM version is probably the best option for you, basically: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." *Smile

I always download the latest version, never caused me any problem, as far as I can tell, quite the opposite.

TairikuOkami, May 7, 2016
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I like the order your list is in right now.
    If no 1, then 2. If no 2, then 3......

The only exception for me would be drivers direct from Intel. You really need to know what you are doing to get the correct drivers direct from them. I rarely, if ever, do it.

• Windows Update
    • Device Manager
    • OEM
    • PC mfgr

Windows update guarantees, as much as any guarantee, that your drivers work well with Windows.

Many BSODs occur when user try outsmart Windows - the latest driver is NOT always the best.
    As a rule of thumb - let WU provide tested and stable drivers - only resort to manual update options if a driver is not provided OR a known issue can be resolved with the OEM driver.

In most cases, but not always - some are better than others keeping the driver downloads up-to-date, the PC mfgr drivers are static after the first year for that model.

The OEM generic disclaimer is just that - a disclaimer. For the most part, the OEM driver is fine. Few PC mfgrs mod the drivers. BIOS is an exception - you have to get that from the PC mfgr and only if the newer version solves a known issue.

There's a pattern here - let WU do it's job - only try to update a driver manually if you know that it solves an issue.

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Best way to update drivers

1. Best way to update drivers - Similar Threads - Best update drivers

2. What is the best way of installing drivers for windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best way of installing drivers for windows 10: I'm confused. How do I actually install drivers in Windows 10? Does windows install them automatically for me? Or should I go to my manufacturer website and download drivers from them and disable device installation service?...
  3. Best way to maintain DV7 drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best way to maintain DV7 drivers: having problems maintaining DV7 drivers for the onboard camera on windows 10 os. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-way-to-maintain-dv7-drivers/259e7cb9-fe3c-45cc-8d69-bb23dd54553e
  4. best way of updating - feature update 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    best way of updating - feature update 2004: should minor updates be updated first and then restart or should feature updates be updated first does the order affect anything does 'Cumulative Updates' check what updates you have, and dl only the stuff you dont have? or does it dl everything? does w10 have regular update...
  5. Best way to update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to update: What is the most trouble free way to update Windows? Regular ol' Windows Update, Update Assistant or ISO? 139744
  6. Best way to update NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 drivers?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Best way to update NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 drivers?: I have a Surface Book 2 and it uses the GTX 1060 and Intel UHD Graphics 620. When I look at the drivers on the NVIDIA website and my own drivers for the 1060, it seems I'm out of date. I'm wondering if I need the NVIDIA app or if I can update these drivers through Device...
  7. Best way to update NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 drivers?

Best way to update NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 drivers?: I have a Surface Book 2 and it uses the GTX 1060 and Intel UHD Graphics 620. When I look at the drivers on the NVIDIA website and my own drivers for the 1060, it seems I'm out of date. I'm wondering if I need the NVIDIA app or if I can update these drivers through Device...
  8. Best way to identify bad driver?

Best way to identify bad driver?: I'm getting BSODs with different causes, but the common element seems to be "bad driver." Is that a stock answer for all BSODs? Assuming that there is a bad driver, what's the best tools or methods to discover that? I'm having this issue on only one of my Windows 10 Pro...
  9. Best way for Updates

Best way for Updates: Hello all, did a Google search and just can't find a lot of answers on this so here I am Right now using WHdownload to keep up with updates,not sure this is the best way to go. Have 3 computer in house so moving updates from one to other to save data downloading. When...
  10. Best Way to Install Updates?

Best Way to Install Updates?: I would like to get a mini poll here on how people would install Windows 10 Updates? For now, I set it to Auto Download and Notify to Install from the Group Policy settings since I have the Pro version. Please provide me some feedback on how you guys do the Windows...