Windows 10: Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer

Discus and support Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I hope you can help me....my mom is in need of a new laptop. Her existing laptop, a Dell Precision m6500, is giving up the ghost, I think the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by awalt, Feb 6, 2019.

1. awalt Win User

Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer

Hi all, I hope you can help me....my mom is in need of a new laptop. Her existing laptop, a Dell Precision m6500, is giving up the ghost, I think the system board or video card is bad, it just shuts down with no notice intermittently, even with nothing being done on the computer. (I checked cpu temps etc.). Anyway, it's time to get a new one, my problem is, she has a lot of very old apps, and she has data stored everywhere without any organization, so moving her apps and data to a new computer will be a very labor intensive, error-prone task. I have not done a Windows migration that was not just an upgrade on the same computer since the Windows 7 days, so I am hoping/praying lol that there is some reliable way, third party or otherwise, that I can migrate all her apps and data to a new computer without reinstalling everything one by one. It's worth it for me to spend a little money if Windows 10 doesn't directly support a nice migration to a new computer, ie buying some backup or migration software if it's reliable.

Do you have a recommendation? Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

:)

awalt, Feb 6, 2019
  2. Aquinus Win User

Computer Won't Reboot - AMD Data Change...Updata New Data to DMI

If he is getting stuck at verifying DMI pool data, that means his BIOS isn't finishing the POST process before it's hanging up. Although I'm confused now because he said he tried re-installing windows which would indicate that the machine is getting through the entire POST process.

I'm confused now. I think we need a better, more descriptive version of what exactly is happening.

Maybe a full step by step process of what is happening?

Aquinus, Feb 6, 2019
  3. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer

Video card or RAM need upgrading?

Memtest: no errors after 10 hrs.
    I'm going to perform the Primetest, later on. Get back to you on that.
    I'm going to take it step by step, guys. I need to find the problem with this current computer. I might have to upgrade some components, so that it is still runnable. As for the new one, yes....i will build on it later. I need to find something decent 'gaming experience', all suggestions appreciated. THanks.

itsmeitsme, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer

1. Best way to upgrade software/data to new computer - Similar Threads - Best upgrade software

2. Best data recovery software for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best data recovery software for Windows 11: Hi.I need to know what is the best data recovery software for windows 11. Here is the summary:It's my work computer, I went on leave and a colleague wanted to use my laptop. It's an HP Probook G7, I had locked it with a fingerprint lock. So desperate, he refreshed the...
  3. Best data recovery software for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best data recovery software for Windows 11: Hi.I need to know what is the best data recovery software for windows 11. Here is the summary:It's my work computer, I went on leave and a colleague wanted to use my laptop. It's an HP Probook G7, I had locked it with a fingerprint lock. So desperate, he refreshed the...
  4. Best way to save softwares & applications settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to save softwares & applications settings: Hello guys, tl;dr : Do you know guys any tool that just copy paste all the settings from my app ? So when it's reinstalled, I have nothing to do ? For some reasons, I tend to reset my computer a lot. By that, I mean booting windows 10 from an USB device, erase my current...
  5. Best way to back up my data

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best way to back up my data: Hi Experts, What is the best way to back up my data, which does not recopy entire data but copies the delta changes and also ensure my data is backed up. Hope, I don't have to buy software. Thanks in advance 171065
  6. Best way to back up my data

in Windows 10 Support
    Best way to back up my data: Hi Experts, What is the best way to back up my data, which does not recopy entire data but copies the delta changes and also ensure my data is backed up. Hope, I don't have to buy software. Thanks in advance 171065
  7. Best way to transfer your data and programs from Win10 system to a new computer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to transfer your data and programs from Win10 system to a new computer.: There is a plenty of locked threads all around this community, with people keep asking this question. Short answer is usually - there is no way, you should reinstall all programs from scratch. But that's not true. For 15 years already I transfer my Windows systems from one...
  8. Best free/paid for data recovery software?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best free/paid for data recovery software?: Hello everyone. How's everyone on my favourite forum? This is probably a pretty straightforward question for you clever guys and gals on here, but one that's perplexed for a while.. I have in the past, when losing data, just shrugged my shoulders and put up with it. I...
  9. Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD?

Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD?: I'm currently running Windows 8.1 on my laptop however I want to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new 250gb SSD that I've just bought. What would be the best way to do this? Would I need to backup all my data, create a Windows 8 bootable USB, install Windows 8 on the SSD, put...
  10. Best way to upgrade to newest build?

Best way to upgrade to newest build?: What would be the best way to upgrade to the newest build from 9926? Just wanting to ask. 4787